Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 02-07-2009, 08:18 AM   #11
nhgunnut
gun totin redneck

Moto: turbo busa 999 Duc Goldwing & Victory

I know what you mean I was at Sheppard Pratt when one of our charges killed a staff member . A few years later at Washington Hospital Center I got bit through a pair of “toughies” (bad enough t to warrant 8 stitches) because the supervising nurse didn’t feel the patient warranted a towel over the face and this client was Hep C positive and spitting and trying to bite everyone in sight. I stopped working inpatient psyche and in any role where I may physically have to intervene 5 years ago not because of the clients ( as a rule I like them and they do what troubled people do) I left because I could no longer trust my co-workers would act in a manner that would keep me physically safe and support me in post incident review. The real shame is that I enjoy working with adolescents but today I work in “Correction Centers” a fun and sometimes rewarding group as well and someone else has to do the physical interventions.
It will be a loss for the young people if you move on but I understand
Old 02-07-2009, 03:59 PM   #12
Tsunami
Pug Queen

Moto: DR200, SV650

i'm a big fan of food and eating, you can take a job at my kitchen, i can't pay you much, but we can split my unemployment checks and closet space.
Tsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 05:05 PM   #13
OTB
The Man

Moto: 00 Bimota DB4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsunami View Post
i'm a big fan of food and eating, you can take a job at my kitchen, i can't pay you much, but we can split my unemployment checks and closet space.
OTB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 05:07 PM   #14
OTB
The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhgunnut View Post
not because of the clients ( as a rule I like them and they do what troubled people do) I left because I could no longer trust my co-workers would act in a manner that would keep me physically safe and support me in post incident review.

It will be a loss for the young people if you move on but I understand
Sounds like you know EXACTLY what it's about!
Old 02-07-2009, 05:14 PM   #15
t-homo
WSB Champion

Its rediculous how the rules protect these people, not the people trying to help them. If I were about to be bitten by anyone with Hep C, I would say fuck the rules and make sure I didn't get bitten. If that means knocking them out, they'll wake up with a headache.
t-homo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 05:28 PM   #16
OTB
The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by t-rock View Post
Its rediculous how the rules protect these people, not the people trying to help them. If I were about to be bitten by anyone with Hep C, I would say fuck the rules and make sure I didn't get bitten. If that means knocking them out, they'll wake up with a headache.
The reason that the rules are so stringent is because of the various hacks out there that do more harm than good. Last year one of the level 5 schools here killed a kid by completely botching the restraint (4 hours sitting on the kid's back without medical supervision....kid stopped breathing and died). Like nhgunnut, I accept the part of my job with the kids; risks and all.....and like him, it ain't the clients that are the problem...it's another staff member in a position of authority abusing that authority.