Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 02-06-2009, 09:13 PM   #1
OTB
The Man

Moto: 00 Bimota DB4
Default Time for a new job

Some of you know what kind of work I do; I'm a culinary instructor at a private school for kids with emotional disturbances. It is a level 5 school, which means we have, within state and federal guidelines, the ability to hold, restrain or otherwise prevent these kids from harming others or themselves. This can take the form of anything from simple arm/shoulder standing restraints, to judo-type takedowns and prolonged multi-team member prone restraints.

A little background.

Our population comes from a broad geographic and socio-economic cross-section of the Baltimore area, but most of the kids are inner city based. Most do not live with either of the birth parents; some live with relatives but most are either wards of the state in group homes or are in temporary foster care. All have been booted out of the standard school system for agressive and/or violent behavior, usually for constant and repeated peer assaults, but some for assaults on school staff also.

Some of the kids have organic-based psychiatic issues like fetal-alcohol syndrome or toxic lead poisoning (which is astoundingly prevalent in a majority of the inner-city population of agressive kids even in this day and age) and or suffer from the effects of prolonged sexual and/or physical abuse (which is another reason they are no longer in the family home) but many are also just truculant misbehavers who have never been shown rules, boundaries and limitations with forceful consequences for straying from the aformentioned limits. We service primarily high-school age with a smaller middle-school population.

Assaults on peers are a daily occurance, assaults on staff slightly less so but still common. Teaching is performed secondarily to behavior control. All doors in the building are locked at all times with passkeys or electronic cardreaders required to go from area to area, including bathrooms. Security cameras are located aout every 50 feet. Our staff to student ratio is about 2-3 to 1 (our population varies from 50-90 students with 30-40 staff, depending on injuries and turnover).

This past year I have been assaulted 5 or so times; twice punched, stabbed once and bitten twice (the last time I was on AZT and "the Cocktail" prophylaxisis for twelve weeks because the parent wouldn't allow the child be tested for Aids and Hep; so I managed to lose 20 lbs the hard way).

I've done this work for a couple of years and as a rule, I don't as a habit talk about this much, either on the boards or with folks face-to-face, as most don't understand why I'm doing this. Suffice it to say I went into this with my eyes open and it can be a frustrating yet rewarding job.

Things have now changed. I have a new boss, who is more of a functionary worried about how things will look to the upper-level Administration than about keeping staff safe first and to hell with next year's performance review, so he really is a cover-my-ass-first kind of guy and he's already thrown a couple of staff to the wolves (imagine the kind of state and county oversight we get DAILY with everybody playing Monday-morning quarterback!).

I think it's time for me to find something else. yesterday a little darling tried to skewer me with her pen because I got in the way of her trying to mangle another student. My boss was also involved in the incident and the kid picked up a desk and tried to bean him with it. Rather than using one of the "approved" holds, I used the more exigent method of a hip throw and a body smash to stop the assault; my moronic boss wrote me up for saving his lousy hide in a non-approved fashion; so I'm now being investigated by DCS for alleged child abuse.

I'm getting too old for this crap....I can handle the kids, I can't handle suck-up weenies who sell your ass down the river when you save theirs.....

So: anybody know of any businesses in the Balt-DC area that need a classically trained chef with 35 + years of experience in food production, food and beverage management, corporate standards management and development, P&L management, as well as H&R POS systems development (and I'm a talented and skilled furniture repair tech and a pretty decent shot with small arms).
OTB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 09:31 PM   #2
askmrjesus
Soul Man

Moto: '0000 Custom Turbo Cross (with jet kit).

Hypothetically speaking, I would kill your boss, and take his job, since he obviously sucks at it.

I'd also delete this thread...

JC
Old 02-06-2009, 09:41 PM   #3
BobTheBiker
too much time on my hands

Moto: 01 ZX6R, looking for more now.

talk about a hell of a job. time to change jobs asap I think. alternatively, you could find a way to get your supervisor fired, take his place and enjoy.
BobTheBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 10:16 PM   #4
'73 H1 Triple
restorer of the original

Moto: '93 ZR1100 &'73 Kawasaki H1 500

Holy shit. Props for trying to make a positive influence but I agree it's time for a change. It would be a real shame if you didn't protect your boss next time

I thought my BIL was nuts for his 27 years as a Baltimore City police officer but at least he could carry a gun.

Good luck
Jeff
'73 H1 Triple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 10:51 PM   #5
the chi
Forum Coach

Moto: 2006 GSXR 600

Damn hun, that sucks ass. I understand the shitty boss part tho, had more than a few of those. Screw those that matter, just climb the ladder assholes.

If you dont try and stick with it, take some cash, buy a gas station, turn part into a 5 star restaurant and run with it. It works. I guarantee!!

Theres this sweet place in nowhereville tennessee that is run by a chef from NY that told his bosses to kiss his ass and did this...sweet old guy, very unassuming, both chef and bus person, and never too busy to share a few porsche stories with a motorcyclist from outta town.
and let it be known that what The Chi hath spoketh, will henceforth be done.
the chi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 11:17 PM   #6
OTB
The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Chi View Post
If you dont try and stick with it, take some cash, buy a gas station, turn part into a 5 star restaurant and run with it. It works. I guarantee!!

Theres this sweet place in nowhereville tennessee that is run by a chef from NY that told his bosses to kiss his ass and did this...sweet old guy, very unassuming, both chef and bus person, and never too busy to share a few porsche stories with a motorcyclist from outta town.

Been there, done that. Had a successful little crab place on the Chesapeake for 10 years. Never worked so hard in my life....
Old 02-07-2009, 12:48 AM   #7
the chi
Forum Coach

Moto: 2006 GSXR 600

Get good management and retire!
and let it be known that what The Chi hath spoketh, will henceforth be done.
the chi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 05:07 AM   #8
Tsunami
Pug Queen

Moto: DR200, SV650

Would you want to cater? Though its prob hard work as well.

Out of curiosity, why does your school have a culinary program for kids with behavioral problems?
Tsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 06:02 AM   #9
marko138
DefenderOfTheBuelliverse

Moto: Buell XB12R

Damn brother. That really sucks. Good luck to you. The weather will turn soon and we can ride.

Quote:
Grandma said she doesn't want you here when she gets back because you've been ruining everybody's lives and eating all our steak.
marko138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 06:39 AM   #10
OTB
The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsunami View Post
Would you want to cater? Though its prob hard work as well.

Out of curiosity, why does your school have a culinary program for kids with behavioral problems?
We have a number of vocational training programs: Printshop, woodworking, commercial horticulture and culinary training.

Most of these kids will never graduate; their lack of reading, writing and m th skills will preclude them from ever passing state exams; ergo, vocational and lifeskills training.