Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 06-25-2009, 11:11 AM   #1
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Default Well My Girlfriend Is Taking MSF!

Yep my girlfriend just left to sign up for MSF and I don't know how to handle the situation... I have a hard time riding in a car with her driving, much less with her behind me on a bike! She's got it in her head that she wants a bike and her family put almost $4,000 in her pockets from her birthday so she certainly can afford one. She wanted a 600 but I told her that if she wants a real girl's bike, she'll get a SV650 or Ninja 650R... Just kidding! Actually, I showed her the Ninja 250 in the blue which she really likes so she put a deposit on it and it should be in next month. While we're waiting I'm also looking at those UM bikes... I've seen about 5 of them in the past couple weeks and there's a dealer not too far away.
Amber Lamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 11:15 AM   #2
CrazyKell
Vrooom

Moto: 06 ZX6R

That's great she's learning to ride and taking the MSF.

I wish I'd taken it! Good choice on the 250 too!
CrazyKell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 11:20 AM   #3
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Just in case you're not familiar with those bikes...

http://www.umamerica.com/site/usa/mo...ml#usa_motosp2
Old 06-25-2009, 11:21 AM   #4
RACER X
AMA Supersport

Moto: '10 Tuono Factory

good for her!
2009 SFV Gladius - SOLD
2008 Hayabusa - SOLD.
RACER X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 11:28 AM   #5
wildchild
cruiser

Moto: '09 HD superglide, 16 Yamaha FZ 09

that's great she's learning to ride. I like it much better that way. My girl started riding quite a while ago.

I do have one thought though. I always see people as you mentioned with their new riders in the back. I usually make my newbies ride in front of me. This does a few things for me. number one it makes them make decisions about riding on their own. They can't just blindly follow me which is what most newbies will do.
number two it keeps cars off of their butt. I can handle the pressure of a car right on our ass as we ride at newbie speed better then someone who is just trying to figure out which gear they should be in.
three: I can watch how they ride. body position,shifting/braking/accelerating smoothness and offer advice as needed.
fourth and probably most important. we ride at their pace. they never feel pressured to keep up with me.

i have taught a number of people to ride successfully and this has always worked. they are a little timid at first about being in front but they get used to it quick.

the ninja 250 is an awesome first bike.
wildchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 11:30 AM   #6
CrazyKell
Vrooom

Moto: 06 ZX6R

If I'm out with a new rider I put them at the front too but make sure they know not to keep looking in their mirrors excessively.

I almost crashed as a newbie because I was too focused on what was going on behind me.
CrazyKell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 11:37 AM   #7
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildchild View Post
that's great she's learning to ride. I like it much better that way. My girl started riding quite a while ago.

I do have one thought though. I always see people as you mentioned with their new riders in the back. I usually make my newbies ride in front of me. This does a few things for me. number one it makes them make decisions about riding on their own. They can't just blindly follow me which is what most newbies will do.
number two it keeps cars off of their butt. I can handle the pressure of a car right on our ass as we ride at newbie speed better then someone who is just trying to figure out which gear they should be in.
three: I can watch how they ride. body position,shifting/braking/accelerating smoothness and offer advice as needed.
fourth and probably most important. we ride at their pace. they never feel pressured to keep up with me.

i have taught a number of people to ride successfully and this has always worked. they are a little timid at first about being in front but they get used to it quick.

the ninja 250 is an awesome first bike.
Oh I've taught several people to ride as well, and am actually a huge proponent of putting the "slower" riders in front to set the pace. I was just "turning a phrase', I will be sure to ride with her in front for weeks after she gets her bike. Besides, this chick has an AWESOME ASS, so riding behind her will not be a problem!!!

UPDATE! I just got a call from the dealer saying that they have a black 250 that the deal fell through on they'll sell for $4k OTD, hmmm....
When she gets back from signing up, I'll see what she thinks.
Old 06-25-2009, 11:42 AM   #8
HurricaneHeather
AMA Supersport

Moto: '98 Honda Fireblade

Quote:
Originally Posted by TIGGER View Post
Oh I've taught several people to ride as well, and am actually a huge proponent of putting the "slower" riders in front to set the pace. I was just "turning a phrase', I will be sure to ride with her in front for weeks after she gets her bike. Besides, this chick has an AWESOME ASS, so riding behind her will not be a problem!!!

UPDATE! I just got a call from the dealer saying that they have a black 250 that the deal fell through on they'll sell for $4k OTD, hmmm....
After 25,000 miles and 4 years, I can attest that the Ninja 250 is a great first bike.
HurricaneHeather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 12:20 PM   #9
wildchild
cruiser

Moto: '09 HD superglide, 16 Yamaha FZ 09

Quote:
Originally Posted by TIGGER View Post

very nice!!

No interest in a used 250? I see them around here for 2K to 2500 quite a bit.
wildchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 12:21 PM   #10
azoomm
moderator chick

Moto: Pasta Rockets

How about, take the MSF - pass the MSF, THEN buy a bike?

Come Play at the Track!!

http://www.elitetrackdays.com
azoomm is offline   Reply With Quote