Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > Riding > Street

Old 06-21-2009, 10:50 PM   #1
Phenix_Rider
WERA White Plate

Moto: Ninja 650R
Default PITA vintage bikes!

Changed the chain and sprocket on my dad's old triple the other night.

What a PITA! Put the thing on the center stand, and put something under the stand to raise it, then weight the front so it doesn't fall back. You have to unbolt both rear shocks, block up the swingarm, remove the rear brake adjuster from the actuator rod, loosen the axle adjusters. THEN you can get a socket on the axle nut. THEN you have to lower the swingarm to remove the anti-rotation bar from the lower part of the brake assembly. Chain guard has to come off after all that.

Finally got the old chain off, and it had stretched two full lengths. Had to count the new one over and over because I couldn't believe the old one still worked. I didn't think the axle or brake adjusters had enough play to move the axle forward to get the right slack in the new chain. It works though.

Overall, it took far too long. I had to fight with the chain tool of course. I really need to mount it to a plate/stand to make it easier. Everything was moving around while I tried to press the side plate on, so I couldn't tell if it was lined up right. Then I had to be extremely careful peening the rivets because I didn't get him an extra replacement link and didn't want to ruin it like I did the first one on my bike.

So he's happy. Rides much smoother now and the chain doesn't bind at all. Replaced his non o-ring chain with an x-ring chain.
Old 06-21-2009, 11:08 PM   #2
BobTheBiker
too much time on my hands

Moto: 01 ZX6R, looking for more now.

what bike was this on? I fear I must do this on my CB750 soon as it shall be my primary transportation bike....
BobTheBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 12:48 AM   #3
No Worries
Keyboard Racer

Moto: Old Superbikes

Yeah, it's a PITA, but what if it didn't have a centerstand. I'm going to replace the chain on my old Suzuki. I can go with a 530 chain, but I'm going to stay with the 630 chain. Over 58K miles on the original. Was the triple's chain 630?
No Worries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 01:33 AM   #4
BobTheBiker

630 is one HELLUVA beefy chain and lasts forfreakinever if you take good care of it like you should.

I need to look at my 78's chain soon and see how much longer it has before replacing.

centerstands are ABSOLUTELY GREAT even if they are forgotten in modern motorcycle designs. whoever decided they werent useful was a fool. I feel EVERY bike other than a sportbike oughta have one. they're just that handy for maintenance and repair work anywhere you are.
Old 06-22-2009, 05:22 AM   #5
Riceaholic
High Life Drinker

Moto: 01 GSXR 1000 - Yamaha Zuma 125

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobTheBiker View Post
630 is one HELLUVA beefy chain and lasts forfreakinever if you take good care of it like you should.

I need to look at my 78's chain soon and see how much longer it has before replacing.

centerstands are ABSOLUTELY GREAT even if they are forgotten in modern motorcycle designs. whoever decided they werent useful was a fool. I feel EVERY bike other than a sportbike oughta have one. they're just that handy for maintenance and repair work anywhere you are.
I put a lot of miles on my VFR (66k) and the centerstand was nice but not really needed for oilchanges. With my V-Max it was the greatest thing ever..
Riceaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 07:58 AM   #6
Phenix_Rider
WERA White Plate

Moto: Ninja 650R

It's a '75 H1 triple. 530 chain, and seriously heavy sprockets. It was tempting to throw on the 520 from my bike- my old sprockets didn't actually need changed, and they're much lighter. I can't believe that old engine makes enough power to need a modern chain that heavy. If it didn't have the exhausts in the way, there would be no need for a center stand. A rear race stand works perfectly fine until you get into removing shocks to get to the axle
Old 06-22-2009, 11:35 AM   #7
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riceaholic View Post
I put a lot of miles on my VFR (66k) and the centerstand was nice but not really needed for oilchanges. With my V-Max it was the greatest thing ever..
QFT! Hell I got laid on my V-Max thanks to the center stand!!!

FWIW, my 'Busa had the option of a center stand...
Amber Lamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 04:01 PM   #8
unknownroad
Guys... where *are* we?

Moto: SV650 Interstate, CX500 rat-bobber, whatever else runs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobTheBiker View Post
Oddly enough, of the dozen or so bikes that have crossed my garage, all of the shaft-drive bikes have had center stands, and none of the chain-drive bikes have. Pain in my ass
Old 06-22-2009, 04:28 PM   #9
BobTheBiker

Quote:
Originally Posted by unknownroad View Post
Oddly enough, of the dozen or so bikes that have crossed my garage, all of the shaft-drive bikes have had center stands, and none of the chain-drive bikes have. Pain in my ass
now THAT dont make sense man.

either way, the centerstand is one of the greatest things EVER on a motorcycle IMO.