Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 05-11-2009, 04:14 PM   #1
Particle Man
Custom User Title

Moto: 2003 SV650S
Default Can't live without an iPhone?

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2346876,00.asp

Quote:
Want to be the next Bob Woodward? Maybe there will be an app for that.

Aspiring journalism majors at the University of Missouri are being required to purchase either an iPhone or an iPod touch, which will be used to deliver freshman orientation information and other course materials. It will be considered a minimum requirement for course work, the school said.

Students will be able to download course material from the iTunes University, a free aspect of the iTunes store. TigerTech, the school's technology store, estimates that 90 percent of Missouri students already have iPods; the announcement comes just a week after Amazon launched the Kindle DX, with support from universities.
Interesting requirement... wonder if they're in bed with Apple so to speak...

Handle every stressful situation like a DOG: If you can't eat it or hump it, pi$$ on it & walk away.
Particle Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 04:23 PM   #2
Homeslice
Elitist

Moto: Gix 750

Quote:
estimates that 90 percent of Missouri students already have iPods
what a crock..........music players in total maybe.
Homeslice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 04:40 PM   #3
RACER X
AMA Supersport

Moto: '10 Tuono Factory

^ agreed
2009 SFV Gladius - SOLD
2008 Hayabusa - SOLD.
RACER X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 06:38 PM   #4
goof2
AMA Supersport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Particle Man View Post
http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2346876,00.asp

Interesting requirement... wonder if they're in bed with Apple so to speak...
I don't know if that is the best idea. Some schools do require laptops and have for 10+ years, but at least you can actually do school type things with one. An iPhone or a Touch have serious limitations. Add in that a basic laptop can be purchased for not much more than either the iPhone or the Touch and it doesn't make much sense.

If they were really in bed with Apple though students would be required to get a Macbook starting at $1,300.
goof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 07:17 PM   #5
Corey
AMA Supersport

Moto: Not a damn thing

Interesting idea, but I think the device is too limited in size and battery life to be useful in that little setup. I Amazon is missing the boat by not making similar agreements with colleges. They could dramatically increase the sales and popularity of the Kindle if they could strike up agreements with colleges to have the Kindle a requirement. If there's anything that the Kindle would be perfect for, it'd be college books, though colleges probably won't do it because the bookstore is the biggest money stealing scam they've got going.

"Your game is shit, your company is shit. Activision ruined you! Activision ruined you." - Francis
Corey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 08:48 PM   #6
njchopper87
Bored

Moto: '01 Spirit 750

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corey View Post
though colleges probably won't do it because the bookstore is the biggest money stealing scam they've got going.
Isn't that the truth.. I just put some books up for sale on Amazon the other day and I realized I was paying 3-10 times the cost at the book store for a majority of the books I had. No joke.
njchopper87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 09:09 PM   #7
goof2
AMA Supersport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corey View Post
Interesting idea, but I think the device is too limited in size and battery life to be useful in that little setup. I Amazon is missing the boat by not making similar agreements with colleges. They could dramatically increase the sales and popularity of the Kindle if they could strike up agreements with colleges to have the Kindle a requirement. If there's anything that the Kindle would be perfect for, it'd be college books, though colleges probably won't do it because the bookstore is the biggest money stealing scam they've got going.
No way electronic copies will get out. The publishers would probably love it since their printing and paper costs would disappear and they could still charge enough to make the same profit. Schools, on the other hand, would hate it. The bookstores could still make similar money on the initial sale, but the repeated buying back for 15% of new and reselling for 70% of new would no longer be available. If students figured out a way around copyright protections it would be all over for bookstores and publishers. Colleges and Universities love talking about how green they are, but that just refers to currency they collect.
goof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 09:23 PM   #8
Homeslice
Elitist

Not to mention all the books that get a "new edition" every 2 yrs or so. With very few actual changes, of course.
Old 05-11-2009, 10:11 PM   #9
njchopper87
Bored

Moto: '01 Spirit 750

Quote:
Originally Posted by goof2 View Post
No way electronic copies will get out. The publishers would probably love it since their printing and paper costs would disappear and they could still charge enough to make the same profit. Schools, on the other hand, would hate it. The bookstores could still make similar money on the initial sale, but the repeated buying back for 15% of new and reselling for 70% of new would no longer be available. If students figured out a way around copyright protections it would be all over for bookstores and publishers. Colleges and Universities love talking about how green they are, but that just refers to currency they collect.
There's some website you can buy parts of a book and print out the pages. Someone did that in my biology class last year, and the cost was far less than the entire book. I forgot the site, but that's pretty damn close to getting around copyright protection.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeslice View Post
Not to mention all the books that get a "new edition" every 2 yrs or so. With very few actual changes, of course.
That's what the they did to my biology book. They just switched around a couple chapters and were able to clear it as a new book.. I didn't pay for a new one, but it's still bullshit.
njchopper87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 10:18 PM   #10
Homeslice
Elitist

I don't know how it's done in today's Facebook era, but when I was in school people would post ads on the campus bulletin boards saying they had a book for sale, and even though it was 1 or 2 editions old, it was still basically the same thing as the new version, so people would buy it and be OK. Some professors were dicks about it though, so you had to sort of hide the old book or not bring it into class with you.