Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 05-04-2009, 04:12 PM   #1
CrazyKell
Vrooom

Moto: 06 ZX6R
Default Setting up a home wireless network

Okay, so even though I'm not totally incompetent....I'm having issues doing this.

I just used the wizard on my laptop but it asked for a usb stick to set up a network. Am I doing this right?

Anyone know of a site that has an idiot's guide to setting up a network?
CrazyKell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 04:14 PM   #2
Rider
Moto GP Star

Call your ISP they should be able to walk you through it.
Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 04:19 PM   #3
CrazyKell
Vrooom

Brilliant. thanks!
Old 05-04-2009, 04:20 PM   #4
Particle Man
Custom User Title

Moto: 2003 SV650S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rider View Post
Call your ISP they should be able to walk you through it.
several charge now unless they provided the wireless router...

Kell, what OS are you running? If it's windows XP, there should be an icon in the syetem tray for networks (looks like a couple computer monitors hooked by a cable). Right click on "Open Network Connections..." One of the selections there should be for your wireless network. Right click and select "View Available Wireless Networks" and click "Refresh Network List" and select your wireless router...

Handle every stressful situation like a DOG: If you can't eat it or hump it, pi$$ on it & walk away.
Particle Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 04:25 PM   #5
CrazyKell
Vrooom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Particle Man View Post
several charge now unless they provided the wireless router...

Kell, what OS are you running? If it's windows XP, there should be an icon in the syetem tray for networks (looks like a couple computer monitors hooked by a cable). Right click on "Open Network Connections..." One of the selections there should be for your wireless network. Right click and select "View Available Wireless Networks" and click "Refresh Network List" and select your wireless router...
that's what I thought but my router's not in there. I'm wondering if there isn't a problem with the internet connection (needs to be registered or something)....so I'm going to go home and try again.

I printed off some instructions so I'll try that first before i come back for any more help.
Old 05-04-2009, 04:26 PM   #6
Particle Man
Custom User Title

Moto: 2003 SV650S

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyKell View Post
that's what I thought but my router's not in there. I'm wondering if there isn't a problem with the internet connection (needs to be registered or something)....so I'm going to go home and try again.

I printed off some instructions so I'll try that first before i come back for any more help.
should still connect but say "limited or no connectivity"...

Handle every stressful situation like a DOG: If you can't eat it or hump it, pi$$ on it & walk away.
Particle Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 04:36 PM   #7
Rsv1000R
WERA White Plate

Kell, The USB stick is so the Wireless software can copy your network configuration on to, so that when you go install the wireless software on another computer, it reads the config off the usb stick. I'm pretty sure both my netgear and linksys wireless router sdid this on install.

So while you really need to make sure you remember the configuration information (write it down!), you probably don't need a usb stick.
Rsv1000R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 04:45 PM   #8
Lucky3623
Official Thread Killer

Log into your router... (go to internet explorer, type 192.168.1.1 or 192.168.1.2) should ask for user id and pw... try admin/admin

check your settings, lock your wireless.
Lucky3623 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 07:11 PM   #9
njchopper87
Bored

Moto: '01 Spirit 750

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky3623 View Post
Log into your router... (go to internet explorer, type 192.168.1.1 or 192.168.1.2) should ask for user id and pw... try admin/admin

check your settings, lock your wireless.
Don't forget to change the pw from admin as well. Disable SSID broadcast after you get everything successfully connected.

I wish I could help out more, but I had to call Linksys up to tell me what to do. I can tell you, though, that if you run into a problem connecting to the internet even though you can connect to the network, you may want to look into setting up a static IP. Other then that I'm useless.
njchopper87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 09:54 AM   #10
CrazyKell
Vrooom

Okay internet is working so I know it's not that.

I configured the router and my laptop recognizes it in the list of available wireless networks BUT i can't connect to it.

When I try to manually connect, it asks for a key (which I put in), then it takes a bit and says "connected" in the grey information box that was up.....but then if you look at the list of "available wireless networks" it says "not connected" beside mine.

Any ideas?