Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 04-15-2009, 07:21 PM   #1
HurricaneHeather
AMA Supersport

Moto: '98 Honda Fireblade
Angry Well this is new

So I have two credit cards with a large national bank.

Today I get two letters in the mail from said bank. One says: we are cancelling this card because you have sufficient credit on other accounts. (this card has no balance on it, but I use it on random occassions to keep it open.)

The other letter says that my credit limit has been reduced on the other card....reduced by 15K. (this has a balance on it with stuff for my husband's school).

I have never had this happen before....I am at a loss for words.

Has this ever happened to anyone else? Is it because of the economy they think I might rack up all this credit and not pay it? Mind you, my account is in good standing, never had a late payment or overdrafts or any of that stuff.

I am just so confused and angry that they can do that. The one they cancelled was one of my oldest cards and so this is going to effect my credit overall....I'm so bummed. I don't need this right now.
HurricaneHeather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 07:26 PM   #2
skiergirl
Gixxer Girl

Moto: 05 GSXR 750 & 06 YZ250F

They are doing it to a lot of people. A guy from work was complaining about the same thing, they are reducing the credit limits of many to stop people from racking up huge debt and not paying. It has nothing to do with your credit rating I was told but I'm not sure what the criteria they use really is.
skiergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 07:27 PM   #3
tached1000rr
WERA White Plate

Moto: 2009 GSXR 1300

Yes it's related to the economy, I read an article where the banks were gonna tighten up by reducing credit limits, closing accounts and such.
tached1000rr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 07:38 PM   #4
JARVIS518
BOOBS!!

Moto: 06 CBR 600RR

ya there doing a lot of this shit. i recently applied for a balance increase to put the remainding balance of my bike on my BOA credit card because there is a 15% difference in intrest rates. after checking my credit there was a $15 co-pay from 2 years ago in collection (i didnt know about) so because of this BOA raised my intrest rate, anual fee and declined my credit increase

ya that sucked
JARVIS518 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 07:50 PM   #5
Papa_Complex
Nomadic Tribesman

Moto: '09 ER-6n

Personal bankruptcies must be beating the shitout of them. To think that last year they would have been pushing for you to take MORE credit, not less.

It's not as bad up here though. Noty yet, at least. I got a new card last month because some fucktard decided he needed a couple of TVs or something on it. When I called to activate the new card, the droid asked me if I wanted another $5K on my limit.

http://www.morallyambiguous.net/
Papa_Complex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 07:58 PM   #6
Apoc
For Science. You Monster.

Moto: '08 HD FLSTSB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa_Complex View Post
Personal bankruptcies must be beating the shitout of them. To think that last year they would have been pushing for you to take MORE credit, not less.

It's not as bad up here though. Noty yet, at least. I got a new card last month because some fucktard decided he needed a couple of TVs or something on it. When I called to activate the new card, the droid asked me if I wanted another $5K on my limit.
Ya, HD called to see if i wanted a new visa, 45000$limit, and if I wanted to transfer the balance of my bike on to it.

Uhhh... No thanks, the one I have now is fine...
Apoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 08:01 PM   #7
goof2
AMA Supersport

Actually, I believe they are doing this because they have too much outstanding credit. They can only extend a certain amount of credit at any time. They would rather have that credit extended to people who rack up balances and fees than people who rarely use their cards or only use them "in case of an emergency". Cards that carry balances and cards that result in fees make them money. The other kind do not.
goof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 06:37 AM   #8
cbrchick
Canyon Carver

Moto: Honda CBR 600, Yamaha Zuma 50, Suzuki SV1000

Sounds kinda responsible to me in a weird way. Kinda looking out for people best interests and their's at the same time although I am sure it takes away a little freedom and security for others.

I only have one credit card/line of credit. They're not making much off me as the interest rate drops almost every month. @ 2.5% now.

I think the banks where more conservative up here with their lending.
cbrchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 06:43 AM   #9
Particle Man
Custom User Title

Moto: 2003 SV650S

Use the existing card to buy some fish from the market... Then use it to mail the fish to them after it has started to rot.

Handle every stressful situation like a DOG: If you can't eat it or hump it, pi$$ on it & walk away.
Particle Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 07:00 AM   #10
Papa_Complex
Nomadic Tribesman

Moto: '09 ER-6n

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbrchick View Post
Sounds kinda responsible to me in a weird way. Kinda looking out for people best interests and their's at the same time although I am sure it takes away a little freedom and security for others.

I only have one credit card/line of credit. They're not making much off me as the interest rate drops almost every month. @ 2.5% now.

I think the banks where more conservative up here with their lending.
I had two cards and one of them had a yearly fee, so I dropped it and just increased my CC-LoC by 5K. Two weeks later that card, now the only one that I have, was exploited and deactivated. My daily parking for work is paid for by CC, so I was screwed. Didn't get the replacement card for more than a week.

There actually are reasons for having more than one.

http://www.morallyambiguous.net/
Papa_Complex is offline   Reply With Quote