Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 03-27-2009, 12:31 PM   #1
Bassplayer
No, I dont play drums too

Moto: SV 650
Default Rock Climbing

Hey, ive just recently got into indoor (and once outdoor) rock climbing. Who else on here does it?
Old 03-27-2009, 05:07 PM   #2
derf
token jewboy

Moto: CBR 900, KLR ugly ass duckling, Gas Man

A buddy of mine has a bouldering wall in his house, I love it we get drunk and climb around his basement and up through a crawl space to the 2nd floor of his house. Its great because except for the crawlspace leading upstairs you are never more than a few feet off the ground so there is no need for harnesses or rope, and when someone does go up there all we use is an emergency decent strap from a hi-lo, so if you fall you stop after 2 feet.

The guy has 20 different routes set, of varying difficulties, from very easy where you wouldn't break a sweat, all the way up to one which nobody has been able to do.

The hardest one has a few very hard spots where you are to the point of hanging almost upside down with 3 points of contact and you have to let go of one to reach the next. We know that it is possible to do the hardest route, because every section has been completed on it's own, but to date nobody has been able to do it in one shot.
Old 03-27-2009, 05:12 PM   #3
G-Rex
Where to next?

Moto: TL1000R, Hayabusa, R1150RT

Rocks are meant to jump *off* of from the top! Rappelling FTW!

I haven't done it in a long time! I'd love to give it a go again. We have a good place around here. I know good and well I'd have to do that solo, as I don't think Carolina would even stick around to *watch*.
Old 03-27-2009, 05:12 PM   #4
Switch
dadbod

I do both, I prefer outdoor. That's where the majority of mine is done.
Old 03-27-2009, 05:15 PM   #5
Archren
Sham WOW

Moto: 2007 Ducati 1098

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Rex View Post

I haven't done it in a long time! I'd love to give it a go again. We have a good place around here. I know good and well I'd have to do that solo, as I don't think Carolina would even stick around to *watch*.

Well, doing it on a rock wall or something doesn't bother me as much as rapelling from a ledge or a bird (a la air assault). Just don't try to get me up to the top.. I'll probably have a heart attack.

"The Vincent was like a bullet that went straight; the Ducati is like the magic bullet that went sideways and hit JFK and the Governor of Texas at the same time. It was impossible."
- Hunter S. Thompson, Song of the Sausage Creature

"Be who you are and say what you feel
because those who mind don't matter
and those who matter don't mind."
-Dr. Seuss
Archren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 05:16 PM   #6
G-Rex
Where to next?

Moto: TL1000R, Hayabusa, R1150RT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archren View Post
Well, doing it on a rock wall or something doesn't bother me as much as rapelling from a ledge or a bird (a la air assault). Just don't try to get me up to the top.. I'll probably have a heart attack.
Is there any way you could get me hooked up to rappell out of a helicopter? I'd totally be down for that!
Old 03-27-2009, 05:30 PM   #7
ericr
I'm so much cooler online

Moto: 06 FZ1

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Rex View Post

I'll go off the side with you Tracy, I haven't been rappelling in a looooong time though so I'll have to brush up on my knots! I've got a brand new bluewater rope and harness that I've never used sitting in my closet. I don't know what the life span on a rope would be like that, temp control no sunlight, should be good for a few runs anyway

I'd also so be up for rapelling out of a helicopter!! Tell Carolina to make some pilot friends

Eric: ibu what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue View Post
but I'm perfectly placed when I'm on my knees . . . .
ericr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 05:36 PM   #8
rogue
Wanting to Go Back!!!!

Moto: A Twin

I wish we had a place here where I could at least try it. Knowing me, I'd love it!

My knee pads may be Air-Ride and chrome plated but I have standards as to who I use them on.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonpaco
so you're just a cougar who doesnt hunt.....a domesticated cougar
Myspace
rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 05:39 PM   #9
derf
token jewboy

Moto: CBR 900, KLR ugly ass duckling, Gas Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericr View Post
I'll go off the side with you Tracy, I haven't been rappelling in a looooong time though so I'll have to brush up on my knots! I've got a brand new bluewater rope and harness that I've never used sitting in my closet. I don't know what the life span on a rope would be like that, temp control no sunlight, should be good for a few runs anyway

I'd also so be up for rapelling out of a helicopter!! Tell Carolina to make some pilot friends

I've done it, and trust me it sucks, especially since you get kicked around from all the rotor wash. Anyway, if you really wanna do some helicopter rapelling go Here
Old 03-27-2009, 05:52 PM   #10
M1$3|2
Squidly McSquidster

Moto: 2004 sv650s, Yellow

I do indoor rock climbing on occasion. Probably 5-7 times a month. I've only done some top-rope and bouldering, haven't done any lead climbing yet. I would love to do some outdoor climbing, that would be awesome.
M1$3|2 is offline   Reply With Quote