Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > Riding > Street

Old 03-09-2009, 10:08 AM   #1
neebelung
Ornery, scandalous & evil

Moto: 2004 Scarlet R1
Thumbs up The Aprilia Adventure Ride (demo)

So as you all know, Daytona Bike Week just wrapped up yesterday. For us, the highlight of Bike Week is the manufacturer demo rides. It's just fun to get to ride a variety of different bikes, and really gives you a feel for things you like or don't like. But most of the rides are between 20 and 30 minutes long -- fun, but maybe not long enough to base a buying decision on (still, they're free).

Well Chris noticed something in one of his magazines about Aprilia doing a 90 minute 'adventure' demo ride. Unlike the others, this wasn't free - it was $20 per person, and spots were very limited. He'd tried to get in on one Thursday, but by 8:15 that morning, they were booked (there were only 48 spots for the whole day).

So Saturday morning we made it down there EEEEARLY - we were in line by 7:15, and there were already 15 or so people in front of us. And we JUST made the cut off - there were only 24 spots for their rides on Saturday (6 per group, plus 2 ride leaders).

They took us wayyyyyy out away from the traffic, into Deland, a mix of nice sweepers and some tight (15 and 20 mph) curves through farmlands and horse country. It was just spectacular. Halfway through the ride, we stopped at a park on the water, where they had someone waiting for us with water, gatorade and snacks. We stopped and chatted about the bikes for a while, got the opportunity to trade bikes with someone else in the group if we wanted to, then mounted up and headed back out. While there aren't many "twisties" in Florida, they did manage to find some of the better backroads, so we had a good mix of 'spirited' riding, and some nice curves.

I rode the Shiver and Chris tried out the Dorsoduro. The bike itself wasn't half bad -- took me till about halfway into the ride to truly get comfortable on it, but it was fun. Good growly twin sound, and it's got three modes (touring for good gas mileage, sport for full power, and rain for reduced power). But if you're at all considering an Aprilia, and you see this demo event advertised anywhere near you, GO FOR IT. It was a great experience and something I'd happily do again next year.
neebelung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 10:16 AM   #2
marko138
DefenderOfTheBuelliverse

Moto: Buell XB12R

Sounds pretty cool.

Quote:
Grandma said she doesn't want you here when she gets back because you've been ruining everybody's lives and eating all our steak.
marko138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 10:41 AM   #3
zed
yellow don't corner well

Moto: 06 ZX10R

very cool, where's the pictures?
zed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 11:01 AM   #4
neebelung

Quote:
Originally Posted by zed View Post
very cool, where's the pictures?
I'll try to get them uploaded tonight or tomorrow. I've got two days worth of Bike Week pics, plus the WERA races at Jennings yesterday, to sort through.
Old 03-09-2009, 03:07 PM   #5
fnfalman
Europhile

Moto: Aprilia RS125, Aprilia SR50 Factory, Aprilia Tuono, BMW Rockster, KTM 990 Adventure

You tried out the Shiver? Not the Tuono or the superbad SXV5.5 but the Shiver?

I'd ride a Jap bike before I ride the Shiver or Mana.

fnfalman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 03:09 PM   #6
Rider
Moto GP Star

How did Chris like Dorsoduro?
Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 03:13 PM   #7
neebelung

They only had one each of a few of the bikes (the Tuono, Dorsoduro, and two of the sportbikes, the names of which escape me at the moment). So what was left were Shivers and Manas (Chris wanted to ride the Dorso).

I actually really like the looks of the Shiver, so I was game to try it out (I would've put my foot down about the Mana though... no interest in riding an automatic).
Old 03-09-2009, 03:14 PM   #8
neebelung

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rider View Post
How did Chris like Dorsoduro?
He liked it a lot, but I think it quickly got overshadowed by his afternoon test ride on the Vmax .... I swear, it's a cult. Everyone (but me) test rode that thing this week, and fell in love with it.
Old 03-09-2009, 04:41 PM   #9
zed
yellow don't corner well

Moto: 06 ZX10R

Quote:
Originally Posted by neebelung View Post
He liked it a lot, but I think it quickly got overshadowed by his afternoon test ride on the Vmax .... I swear, it's a cult. Everyone (but me) test rode that thing this week, and fell in love with it.
yeah, as long as you aren't going to corner that Vmax is awesome. hella power.
zed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 04:55 PM   #10
neebelung

Quote:
Originally Posted by zed View Post
yeah, as long as you aren't going to corner that Vmax is awesome. hella power.
He actually said it handled nicely, but that might've been a qualified statement, i.e. "It handles nicely (for a 900 lb beast!)"