Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 03-04-2009, 09:48 PM   #1
OneSickPsycho
Ride Like an Asshole

Moto: nothing...
Default 'puter upgrade time...

So it's that time once again.... Gotta upgrade the ol' computer... I've been doing a lot of movie downloading recently and have found that my machine is incapable of running 1080p codecs without eating shit and pissing me off... Been thinkin' about adding more storage anyway, but my current hardware is very limited for what I want to do...

That being said, I'm pretty far out of the loop these days when it comes to computer hardware. My general rule of thumb is to buy good quality components that are not top of the line performance. I don't game, I don't edit video... it's just an HTPC that needs a little more ooomph... I tend to upgrade every 2-3 years anyway...

This is what I'm lookin' at so far:
motherboard
CPU
RAM
HDD (2 in mirror RAID)
PSU

The only current hardware that will transfer are my two DVDRW's, 2 SATA HDD's, a firewire card, and a TV tuner card (that I'll probably upgrade later)...

Thoughts?

Last edited by OneSickPsycho; 03-04-2009 at 09:53 PM..
OneSickPsycho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 11:01 PM   #2
M1$3|2
Squidly McSquidster

Moto: 2004 sv650s, Yellow

I've never owned an ECS mobo, but if they get good hardware reviews then I say go for it. I'm not sure if AMD is really back in the game yet either. You may want to look into a comparable Intel system and compare the performance per dollar value with what you have there. Corsair makes good power supplies, you may not need 650w though. Crucial used to make good ram, but I'm not sure about their current products. I noticed you don't have a video card listed , you will most likely need one if you only upgrade every 2-3 years. That seems to be my upgrade timeframe as well.

That's all I have. Hope it helps.
M1$3|2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 11:49 PM   #3
OneSickPsycho
Ride Like an Asshole

Moto: nothing...

Quote:
Originally Posted by M1$3|2 View Post
I've never owned an ECS mobo, but if they get good hardware reviews then I say go for it. I'm not sure if AMD is really back in the game yet either. You may want to look into a comparable Intel system and compare the performance per dollar value with what you have there. Corsair makes good power supplies, you may not need 650w though. Crucial used to make good ram, but I'm not sure about their current products. I noticed you don't have a video card listed , you will most likely need one if you only upgrade every 2-3 years. That seems to be my upgrade timeframe as well.

That's all I have. Hope it helps.
My previous MB was an ECS and it was coolio... I haven't heard anything bad about them and couldn't find any really negative reviews...

I am pretty out of the loop as I previously mentioned, but I have almost always gone with AMD CPU's... They used to be the cheapest... Hmm... might go back and do a little more digging...

The PSU was something I had no fucking idea about... My current one is a 500W, but only has enough connections for 5 devices (I made my own splitter so I could run all four of my hard drives and both DVDRW's). I'd like something with more expandibility as eventually I'd expect to add another couple HDD's. Newegg has a calculator that's pretty generic and it gave me numbers just under 600w. However, Thermaltake's website has one I just checked out and it says just over 300W... Hmm, maybe I'll go with another 500W just to be safer...

I've almost always gone with Kingston RAM, but have always heard good things about Crucial, so I'm gonna try it out... Looks like a good deal too...

As far as video is concerned, no I'm not getting any sort of video card. One of the reasons I am looking to upgrade is to run my PC through HDMI... The mainboard has it onboard...

I've also made the decision that I'm going to upgrade my surround sound system with a HTIB rather than going with really good PC speakers. It just seems like a waste to buy $300 PC speakers when for $100 more I can get a good quality HTIB that has wireless speakers and a nifty IPOD dock. Plus, I can have one remote control everything vs. a remote for the TV tuner card, my TV, and the sound levels on the speakers.

Now I just need a new wireless mouse...
OneSickPsycho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 12:13 PM   #4
Amorok
Issukangitok

Moto: '06 Suzuki Boulevard C50T

I'm going through the same thing. I've been threatening to upgrade for the last couple of years, but mine's starting to shit the bed beyond what a format will fix. It's old as hell so its time for a new one. I'm looking at the intel i7 processors, I don't really care about RAM branding as long as the performance numbers are there, and I like Asus MB's. As for video, I want something badass. I need 1080p codecs to, but I also need Crysis, so I have to go in for something potent. I'm not fucking around with a sound card this time though, onboard is enough as deaf as I am.

As for power supply, go all out, dude. You might as well.
Old 03-05-2009, 01:21 PM   #5
Papa_Complex
Nomadic Tribesman

Moto: '09 ER-6n

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneSickPsycho View Post
My previous MB was an ECS and it was coolio... I haven't heard anything bad about them and couldn't find any really negative reviews...
Back in the Pentium days they were under-performing, shit spewing, crashing, fornicating pieces of excrement. The company that I worked for bought two lots of them for use in budget systems, then never bought another. The first batch started coming back when we had already received the second. No idea what they're like now, because I've steered clear of that manufacturer ever since.

http://www.morallyambiguous.net/
Papa_Complex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 01:21 PM   #6
pauldun170
Serious Business

Moto: 1993 ZX-11 2008 CBR1000rr

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneSickPsycho View Post
So it's that time once again.... Gotta upgrade the ol' computer... I've been doing a lot of movie downloading recently and have found that my machine is incapable of running 1080p codecs without eating shit and pissing me off... Been thinkin' about adding more storage anyway, but my current hardware is very limited for what I want to do...

That being said, I'm pretty far out of the loop these days when it comes to computer hardware. My general rule of thumb is to buy good quality components that are not top of the line performance. I don't game, I don't edit video... it's just an HTPC that needs a little more ooomph... I tend to upgrade every 2-3 years anyway...

This is what I'm lookin' at so far:
motherboard
CPU
RAM
HDD (2 in mirror RAID)
PSU

The only current hardware that will transfer are my two DVDRW's, 2 SATA HDD's, a firewire card, and a TV tuner card (that I'll probably upgrade later)...

Thoughts?
For what you will be doing with it, despite being far from top of the line on both mobo and processor, it looks good at a good price point (this is assuming that you will NEVER game with it).

HOWEVER YOU HAVE CHOSEN THE WRONG TYPE OF RAM FOR THE BOARD!!!
You need DDR2 for that board.
1066 or 800 will do. Crucial is good but gskill and oz or fine. Hunt for the lowest price + best rating on newegg.

A few things to consider....
You PSU would be fine in 450-550 area. I'd hunt around for the quietest (with fan...not the fanless variety)high quality unit you can find.
An example would be Antec EarthWatts 500W is very quiet and can be had for $60-$70 oem.

You may want to consider a sound card...

Consider grabbing an aftermarket cooler...once again something that will lower sound levels yet provide at least cooling comparable to the stock cooler.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
feed your dogs root beer it will make them grow large and then you can ride them and pet the motorcycle while drinking root beer
pauldun170 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 01:23 PM   #7
Rider
Moto GP Star

I'm looking to upgrade my desktop as well but all I need is a new motherboard processor and memory. The rest is still usable.
Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 01:30 PM   #8
pauldun170
Serious Business

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amorok View Post
I'm going through the same thing. I've been threatening to upgrade for the last couple of years, but mine's starting to shit the bed beyond what a format will fix. It's old as hell so its time for a new one. I'm looking at the intel i7 processors, I don't really care about RAM branding as long as the performance numbers are there, and I like Asus MB's. As for video, I want something badass. I need 1080p codecs to, but I also need Crysis, so I have to go in for something potent. I'm not fucking around with a sound card this time though, onboard is enough as deaf as I am.

As for power supply, go all out, dude. You might as well.
If you can...wait for the mainstream I7's and motherboards pop up later this year.

IMO, $300 for a quality motherboard is unreasonable. the mainstream parts should match up or exceed the I920 and the mobo and procs should be considerably less expensive.

I was just playing Crysis Warhead the other day on my Q9550 and puny HD4830. Kinda boring but playing smooth as glass (1600x1200 on Gamer).

Thought Farcry2 to be more entertaining.

Quote:
feed your dogs root beer it will make them grow large and then you can ride them and pet the motorcycle while drinking root beer
Old 03-05-2009, 01:31 PM   #9
pauldun170
Serious Business

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rider View Post
I'm looking to upgrade my desktop as well but all I need is a new motherboard processor and memory. The rest is still usable.

How bout that power supply?
It may not only be too weak, it may dusty...have shakey voltages and may be missing a connector or two required on newer motherboards..

Quote:
Old 03-05-2009, 01:33 PM   #10
Rider
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauldun170 View Post
How bout that power supply?
It may not only be too weak, it may dusty...have shakey voltages and may be missing a connector or two required on newer motherboards..
It's an ATX form factor case that's about 6 years old. Seems to work fine now.
Rider is offline   Reply With Quote