Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > Riding > Street

Old 02-10-2009, 07:45 AM   #1
rogue
Wanting to Go Back!!!!

Moto: A Twin
Default Battery Question & Other Maintainence Stuff

I've been making a list of maintainence things to do to my bike, especially with the upcoming rally. Things like changing the spark plugs, changing fluids, bleeding the brakes (the pads still look really good), replacing the air filter (it's due), oil change (due now), etc. I've recently replaced my fork seals and put in a heavier fork oil (she feels so much better!).

I was thinking, damn...my baby's turning 6 this year and she still has the original battery. Granted she only has about 22,000 miles on her (give or take...I bought her in '05 with only 1,100 and I didn't ride her that much the first year or so I had her) and I use her mainly for commuting.

The only time I've ever have any issues with her starting is when it's extremely cold (low 20's) and she won't start. But as soon as it warms up a bit, she'll turn over pretty easy. I also have only charged it once and that was the first year I had her. I turned the key too far and left the lights on without realizing it. She still starts easy, no problems.

But still, the battery is 6 years old. Should I be looking at getting another battery? What's the average lifespan of a motorcycle battery?

Also, what are some other (somewhat simple) things I should put on my list to possibly check, change, or replace? Please keep in mind when it comes to mechanics I'm the typical female. It's not that I can't learn how, it's that I can't get my brain and my hands to work in some sort of mechanical harmony. I can read and "know" how to do something, but have problems doing it and doing it right.

I don't trust the local Zuk shop to do anything. I watched their "mechanics" take over an hour to change a freakin' back tire a couple of years ago. No way am I going to trust them with anything that's just as simple or even more complex to work on my bike. Most of the stuff that gets done, I do it by myself, usually with the help of a friend who's not much more knowledgable about bikes than I am.

Any help or suggestions is mucho appreciated!

My knee pads may be Air-Ride and chrome plated but I have standards as to who I use them on.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonpaco
so you're just a cougar who doesnt hunt.....a domesticated cougar
Myspace
rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 08:07 AM   #2
Ninjakel
Post whorette

Moto: 2006 GSXR 600-

check your chain and sprockets

tires.

and yes, buy a new battery.

--Ron Burgundy--
Anchorman
Ninjakel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 08:14 AM   #3
rogue
Wanting to Go Back!!!!

Moto: A Twin

The chain is fairly new. I replaced it about 3-4,000 miles or so. The rear sprocket still looks really good...not much wear at all. The last time I checked the front (which I replaced the chain), it was still good too. I'll check the sprockets good again about a month before the rally. Thanks for reminding me!

New tires are on their way.

I've already got the battery on my list. I'm just checking to make sure it needs to be there.

My knee pads may be Air-Ride and chrome plated but I have standards as to who I use them on.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonpaco
so you're just a cougar who doesnt hunt.....a domesticated cougar
Myspace
rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 08:17 AM   #4
Ninjakel
Post whorette

Moto: 2006 GSXR 600-

after 6 years, on an origional battery, yeah. better to buy another one then get stuck somewhere

--Ron Burgundy--
Anchorman
Ninjakel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 08:18 AM   #5
tommymac
Moto GP Star

6 years on a battery is good. My futura eats batteries for breakfast (but its got a shitty charging system)

Not sure about the maintenance interval but a valve check may soon be in order too. Sound slike you got most of the other stuff covered and a on the chain and sprockets. if yo ucan find someone with a chain press so yo udont have to have a shop charge you an arm and a leg for it.

Tom
tommymac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 08:38 AM   #6
marko138
DefenderOfTheBuelliverse

Moto: Buell XB12R

That battery is on borrowed time. 5 years is usually the lifespan of a battery. I'd have one on standby.

Quote:
Grandma said she doesn't want you here when she gets back because you've been ruining everybody's lives and eating all our steak.
marko138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 08:45 AM   #7
tommymac
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by marko138 View Post
That battery is on borrowed time. 5 years is usually the lifespan of a battery. I'd have one on standby.
i got 9 years out of the battery on my accord and if it didnt sit for a few days when it was brutally cold it may still be going

tom
Old 02-10-2009, 08:46 AM   #8
marko138
DefenderOfTheBuelliverse

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommymac View Post
i got 9 years out of the battery on my accord and if it didnt sit for a few days when it was brutally cold it may still be going

tom
I've never gotten more than 5 out of any battery.

Quote:
Grandma said she doesn't want you here when she gets back because you've been ruining everybody's lives and eating all our steak.
Old 02-10-2009, 08:48 AM   #9
tommymac
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by marko138 View Post
I've never gotten more than 5 out of any battery.
I havent been as lucky with bikes, of course with the TL and futura the battery has to work to turn over the bigger twins.

Tom
Old 02-10-2009, 08:54 AM   #10
marko138
DefenderOfTheBuelliverse

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommymac View Post
I havent been as lucky with bikes, of course with the TL and futura the battery has to work to turn over the bigger twins.

Tom
Where do you live? Im in PA...winter temps here are tough on car batteries.

Quote: