Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 01-26-2009, 08:59 AM   #1
Hondahugger
Better Off

Default Animal Abortions

So my new assistant asked me if I knew where her mother could take her 14 year old Taco Bell dog to get an abortion. WTF!!!!!!!

My first thought was why isn't the 14 year old dog spayed to begin with and was that even legal to do. After calling an area vet, I found it that it is legal and could be done for about $200.00 +/-. That was Friday, it's now Monday and I'm still in shock!

So the Vet explained to me that not only is the dog at HIGH risk of death if they allow her to deliver the puppies because this dog also has cancer, but she's at HIGH risk trying to have the surgery. From the vets point of view, the dog is dead either way.

So then I found myself PISSED OFF that these pet owners could be so irresponsible as to have never had their dog spayed and allowed this dog to be put into this position and now wants to use abortion as a form of birth control and risk their dog's life that has been a member of the family for 14 years. This dog should be spending her last days as confortable as she can be, not like this.

Has anyone ever even heard of anything like this? I tried to look up Canine Abortions on the web and couldn't find anything.
Hondahugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 09:09 AM   #2
fatbuckRTO
This is not the sig line.

Moto: Be prepared. What? Oh, *moto*...

As I understand it, if it's known early enough spaying will effectively terminate a dog pregnancy. It doesn't surprise me that it's both available and legal. I'm glad it is; there are far too many strays on the streets as it is. Dogs are meant to live with and be cared for by people.

Obviously neutering and spaying early is the better option, though. Pregnancies are tough on dogs regardless of age. It pains me to see dogs being used as breeding stock.

-Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
fatbuckRTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 09:13 AM   #3
cuttle
now available w/o fish

Moto: DR650, Morini, 1/2 M900ie

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatbuckRTO View Post
As I understand it, if it's known early enough spaying will effectively terminate a dog pregnancy. It doesn't surprise me that it's both available and legal. I'm glad it is; there are far too many strays on the streets as it is. Dogs are meant to live with and be cared for by people.

Obviously neutering and spaying early is the better option, though.
yup - a lot of dogs and cats are getting spayed while pregnant (which is technically and abortion).

Nothing unusual:

http://www.humanealliance.org/HA2/fees.htm

- R. K. Milholland
cuttle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 09:19 AM   #4
fatbuckRTO
This is not the sig line.

Moto: Be prepared. What? Oh, *moto*...

Two pure bred English mastiffs. The first, Tarquin, was spayed. The other, I forget her name, belongs to a mastiff breeder. She's on her third or fourth litter. They are the same age.

-Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
fatbuckRTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 10:27 AM   #5
Ninjakel
Post whorette

Moto: 2006 GSXR 600-

Happens all the time in the dog world.

--Ron Burgundy--
Anchorman
Ninjakel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 10:35 AM   #6
shmike
Follower

I have never thought about it but don't find it surprising or shocking.

With today's technology, why wouldn't it be a viable option?

I agree with Bob Barker, everyone should have their boyfriends spayed or neutered.
shmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 10:36 AM   #7
Ninjakel
Post whorette

Moto: 2006 GSXR 600-

Quote:
Originally Posted by shmike View Post
I have never thought about it but don't find it surprising or shocking.

With today's technology, why wouldn't it be a viable option?

I agree with Bob Barker, everyone should have their boyfriends spayed or neutered.

--Ron Burgundy--
Anchorman
Ninjakel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 10:40 AM   #8
marko138
DefenderOfTheBuelliverse

Moto: Buell XB12R

Weird.

Quote:
Grandma said she doesn't want you here when she gets back because you've been ruining everybody's lives and eating all our steak.
marko138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 10:41 AM   #9
Hondahugger
Better Off

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatbuckRTO View Post

Obviously neutering and spaying early is the better option, though. Pregnancies are tough on dogs regardless of age. It pains me to see dogs being used as breeding stock.
That's what the Vet said, the surgery that they do is spaying the dog which will in turn, abort the puppies. I understand that part of it. Spaying a dog is the same as giving a woman a hysterectomy and while neautering a male isn't quite the same as a vasectomy, the poor dog loses his entire nuts!

I grew up on a 40 acre horse ranch doing rescue work for the ASPCA and the Humane Society and I've seen a lot of things in the animal world. I'm a HUGE advocate for spaying and neutering pets and it just pisses me off when owners are irresponsible like this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuttle View Post
yup - a lot of dogs and cats are getting spayed while pregnant (which is technically and abortion).

Nothing unusual:

http://www.humanealliance.org/HA2/fees.htm
The link didn't take me anywhere.
Old 01-26-2009, 10:47 AM   #10
Hondahugger
Better Off

Quote:
Originally Posted by shmike View Post