Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 01-23-2009, 10:06 PM   #1
Flexin
AMA Supersport

Default How long do I have?

I was singing and dancing with my 2 year old daughter tonight. Then we were sitting back chillin listening to my mp3 player. We had a great time. She was up past bed time hanging with daddy. But it made me sad. One day she might she might be too busy, too old or what ever to hang with daddy. How much time do I have?

I love my kids.

James
Flexin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 10:21 PM   #2
derf
token jewboy

Moto: CBR 900, KLR ugly ass duckling, Gas Man

Dude youre screwed then.

My 8 year old and I still have moments, but they are far and few between. My son on the other hand adores me, but even so I still can see his eye wander from time to time.

The cool thing about my daughter is now that shes growing up we get to do cool shit together. I took her drifting in the snow the other day, and even let her (gasp!) drive a little from my lap. When it gets warm out she will be on the back of my bike once in a while. I started taking her riding 2 years ago, just going up and down the street or in a parking lot, going very slow, last summer I was brining her to the store or the movies once in a while, never really faster than 35 mph or longer than 10 miles round trip, this year shes gonna come on a long ride with me, like up to my inlaws house, whihc is about 30 miles away.
Old 01-23-2009, 10:29 PM   #3
Flexin
AMA Supersport

I want to take them both swimming soon. I also want to take them ice skating. I'll hold off a bit on the skiing but I can't wait to do that with them too.

Right now my son loves to run across two room, jump through the air and punch me in the stomach. Then run back and do it again. LOL.

Ring around the rosie is fun with the kids. Sienna will get me to do it till I'm dizzy.

James
Flexin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 11:00 PM   #4
derf
token jewboy

Moto: CBR 900, KLR ugly ass duckling, Gas Man

I took my daughter snowboarding last year. she sucked, but she got a lesson and did alright. But again she sucked and had it not been for her having a blast it would have been a shitty day, but she made it cool when she had fun.
Old 01-23-2009, 11:49 PM   #5
Smittie61984
I give Squids a bad name

Moto: 1996 CBR600 F3 (AKA the Flying Turd)

My buddy has a 7 and a 9 year old daughter. They are extremely close to their father. But he's involved in their lives 100%. He takes them to ATV trails/tracks, mountain biking, roller skating, and even running/jogging in little 2k events. They'll even do some kayaking with us this spring/summer.

The 9 year old does have some awkard moments now. For example a month ago I went with them to a roller skating rink. They had the kids get in the middle and do the hokey pokey. Now normally the 9year old is the daredevil who'll try whatever. No doubt in my mind she'd go skydiving if she had the chance. But she showed some signs while participating in the skating thing that other people where a concern to her. But I jumped in right there with them and did the hokey pokey with them and she opened up again.

I guess it varies from peopel to people. I knew some girls in school who were extremely close to their parents and didn't feel the bit embaressed with them around their peers. Others (I being one of them) didn't enjoy them being around. I know a girl now who is 20 and if she takes a guy around her parents and her parents don't like him. That joker is out of there. Normally it's the opposite. Tell your daughter you hate her boyfriend and she'd mount him on the front lawn.

Just stay involved. Instead of laying around watching TV. Go to the park with them or take them skating. And don't be one of the dads who is just standing around with the other dads. Get on the skates, bust your ass, and learn to hang with your kids.
Old 01-24-2009, 02:08 AM   #6
fatbuckRTO
This is not the sig line.

Moto: Be prepared. What? Oh, *moto*...

My wife can't stand my driving so I sit in the passenger seat a lot. I crawl my hand up and down the head rest like a spider and make hissing sounds, and my stepdaughter laughs and does her best to give me early onset arthritis by beating the shit out of the spider hand. She's 8 years old now. I don't imagine it will be too long before she ignores the spider hand entirely, or just tells me to quit being a dweeb.

-Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
fatbuckRTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 02:23 AM   #7
rogue
Wanting to Go Back!!!!

Moto: A Twin

Mini-Me is 15 & Young Padawan will be 14 next month. It seems the older they get, the closer we get.

My knee pads may be Air-Ride and chrome plated but I have standards as to who I use them on.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonpaco
so you're just a cougar who doesnt hunt.....a domesticated cougar
Myspace
rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 03:45 AM   #8
Quick281
Victim of Blazer Rapage

Moto: 06 GSXR 600

Isn't that half the beauty of it. They all eventually become crazy independent in their teens and things get nasty but as they age they come back around.

Thats how it was in my family, my mom says 4 out of the 5 of us were absolutely terrible in our teens and then we came back around and realized how lucky we were to have her.

No matter where we all are we call in every morning and chit chat. At least the two girls do, the 3 boys let a couple days go by. But we are a very close family for our size.

My 06 GSXR 600 <-- Its Clickable Fools.
Quick281 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 10:38 AM   #9
Ducati Diva
just learning

Moto: 1996 M900

Enjoy it now. My daughter is 16 and things are changing. We are still really close but there are more and more times that it's not cool to hang with mom. If you want to be a part of their life as they get older be sure you open your house to the masses of kids that will be a part of their lives. I've lost track of the number of kids that call me mom. there are 6 teenagers crashed out in my living room as we speak.
Old 01-24-2009, 10:43 AM   #10
OneSickPsycho
Ride Like an Asshole

Moto: nothing...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducati Diva View Post
Enjoy it now. My daughter is 16 and things are changing. We are still really close but there are more and more times that it's not cool to hang with mom. If you want to be a part of their life as they get older be sure you open your house to the masses of kids that will be a part of their lives. I've lost track of the number of kids that call me mom. there are 6 teenagers crashed out in my living room as we speak.
Sounds kinda like a dream I had the other night... Only there were more teenagers... and they were buried in my back yard.
OneSickPsycho is offline   Reply With Quote