Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 01-04-2009, 03:58 AM   #1
tommymac
Moto GP Star

Default Mortgage question

Got a few questions for you homeowners as far as getting started with the application process. my first thing is where or what banks to start with? We deal with citibank and are happy with them however their rates are higher than most ofther banks and have heard they are a PITA to deal with for mortgages. In a local paper they list local banks and their rates and i think wachovia and another bank had the best rates, but have also heard that wells fargo is good too.

Would it be good applying though many banks, I had heard that since they all look up your credit history that can actualy lower your score.

Tom
tommymac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 07:58 AM   #2
RCM78
Slow Poke

Moto: '05 R1

Thats true. Having a crdeitor inguire will show up on your credit history. I you have alot of inquiries it is pervieved that you are trying to open several accounts and that will lower your score.

Try to find a mortage co. that will keep the loan. Stay away from brokers and small co's. They will sell your loan quickly and then your stuck with who you get. Sometimes your loan can be sold several times in one year. Turns your account into a nightmare.

We have countrywide. They've been fine. Good rates and they keep the loan.
TPM Coach #71 http://www.teampromotion.com
RCM78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 12:52 PM   #3
Lamnidae
CMDLINE

Moto: 2008 Black/Grey Hayabusa

We have Regions (www.regions.com) but they have lots of local branches.

See if you can find a solid credit union....
Lamnidae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 12:57 PM   #4
fasternyou929
SFL Expatriate #2

Moto: CBR1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCM78 View Post
Try to find a mortage co. that will keep the loan. Stay away from brokers and small co's. They will sell your loan quickly and then your stuck with who you get. Sometimes your loan can be sold several times in one year. Turns your account into a nightmare.
This is the best piece of advice you will get in this thread.

We used Wells Fargo - they're still very liquid since they didn't participate in all the sub-prime lending, and they have competitive rates. Their loan retention is somewhere north of 95%, if I remember correctly.

Strongly recommend them.

My first mortgage was with a smaller bank, then GMAC mortgage, then somewhere else. All within a year. You never know who to send the damn payment to.
fasternyou929 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 01:39 PM   #5
Cutty72
Ride Naked.

Moto: 08 BUELL 1125R, 05 SV650S

Check out credit unions as well, if possible. Generally they will be a little lower rate as well.
Another thing to look at is where you want to live.
In ND there is a lot of "rural" area, and the credit union actually approved me at a higher amount if I purchased in a rural area. Helped me a lot because I actually wanted to get out of the "big city" of Fargo.

As far as worrying about lowering your credit score with checking out many banks, it's no big deal.
If they see a bunch of places pulling your credit within a few days, they know it is probably for some purchase. If you spread it out over a month or two, it will reflect more poorly on your score.

And one last general rule. Make sure after you get an approval, you figure out taxes and insurance, and then figure what your actual monthly payment is, to be sure it's affordable. My experience is that banks will generally approve you an amount that is about 10-15% more than what you actually want to spend as a monthly payment.

Hope that helps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gas Man View Post
Again... Cutty you are one smart man!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Chi View Post
If I have to get help to get it back up, I dont need to be riding it.

3662 Supply NCO

Cutty72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 01:49 PM   #6
Ninjakel
Post whorette

Moto: 2006 GSXR 600-

We have GMAC, never been an issue

--Ron Burgundy--
Anchorman
Ninjakel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 04:30 PM   #7
'73 H1 Triple
restorer of the original

Moto: '93 ZR1100 &'73 Kawasaki H1 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCM78 View Post
Thats true. Having a crdeitor inguire will show up on your credit history. I you have alot of inquiries it is pervieved that you are trying to open several accounts and that will lower your score.

We have countrywide. They've been fine. Good rates and they keep the loan.
We went wil Harleysville National Bank for our mortgage. They were ony a 1/4 point higher but will service the the mortage for the life of the note. ( meaning if it's sold, it's still them we deal with for the taxes and insurance receipts )

After the fiasco I had with Aurora Loan Services, this was money well spent.
( abbrev version-- third year they had my mortgage, I got reg. letter stated they were purchasing insurance on the house only [ not the contents] for 3x was my full coverage was. I called [ no 800 # listed] and although they agreed it was escrowed, they were still going to purchase the insurance and bill me $1800 for it.
I called my insurance agent, paid $550 for an additional year and faxed them the receipt. I had to wait until State Farm had their money TWICE until it was refunded to me.
I truly hope they went bankrupt )

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninjakel View Post
We have GMAC, never been an issue
GMAC had our mortgage sold before we signed on the dotted line. The first sig was for their note, the second was that it was sold and who to pay.
'73 H1 Triple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 10:34 PM   #8
fasternyou929
SFL Expatriate #2

Moto: CBR1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by '73 H1 Triple View Post
GMAC had our mortgage sold before we signed on the dotted line. The first sig was for their note, the second was that it was sold and who to pay.
Ninjakel lives in South Florida. GMAC probably couldn't give that mortgage away right now if they offered a blow job with it.
fasternyou929 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 10:40 PM   #9
Gas Man
Trip's Assistant

Moto: 2009 HD Street Classic

5/3 has been the best ever. They don't pass you off ever and take care of you.. BIG TIME!

"Why pay somebody else to fuck up your bike?"
Run Amsoil Product
Gas Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 10:49 PM   #10
Mr Lefty
TWFix Legend

Moto: 01 BMW F650GS Dakar

gas in the last 4 post I've seen you make (over what... 10 mins) you've changed avatar for every one!
Mr Lefty is offline   Reply With Quote