Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 12-15-2008, 11:38 AM   #1
CrazyKell
Vrooom

Moto: 06 ZX6R
Default Geographical Advice Needed

So, I'm fed up with not working in my field.

I moved back home (Canada) after a two year stint in London, England.

Even with my experience, the job market here is so tough that I haven't even gone on ONE interview.

So now I'm considering (for the 2009/2010 school year) moving somewhere in the US.

What I'm worried about is moving somewhere and hating it for various reasons. I'd like to be within driving distance of some sort of cultural centre.

Here are a few of my options:

North Carolina: Raleigh, Greensboro, Charlotte, Fayetteville, High Point, Durham

Arizona: Queen Creek, Glendale, Douglas

Florida: Lake district, Fort Lauderdale, Pensacola

Since none of them even have pay info in the postings I'm hoping someone can just give me an idea of whether it's worth it to apply to these or not.

ANY help at all on any of these areas would be greatly appreciated!!!!
CrazyKell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 11:43 AM   #2
Ninjakel
Post whorette

Moto: 2006 GSXR 600-

Come to Sofla!!!!

--Ron Burgundy--
Anchorman
Ninjakel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 11:46 AM   #3
tommymac
Moto GP Star

So NYC or other major metro areas arent an option?

Tom
tommymac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 11:49 AM   #4
azoomm
moderator chick

Moto: Pasta Rockets

If you really want some information about Lauderdale - I can get you in contact with my Mother In Law. She is currently a district librarian, and has been working with the district in various schools for YEARS.

Come Play at the Track!!

http://www.elitetrackdays.com
azoomm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 11:49 AM   #5
Corey
AMA Supersport

Moto: Not a damn thing

I have experience with many areas in Florida. I'll save you a lot of time and a lot of aggravation: avoid like the plague. The local economy is completely fucked, the pay rate is pathetic, and it is, in general, a fucking dump. Don't get me wrong, there are a lot of beautiful areas that happen to be the beach, but unless you're making a good chunk of cash, you're not living anywhere close to the beach, you're just driving there to overpay for parking and deal with sweaty douchebag tourists.

You would honestly be better almost anywhere else but here. If you're deadset on visiting some of the really nice beaches, just vacation down here. That way you can get the best of the beaches without being trapped in an economically dead black hole.

And no, this is not some funny ha ha kind of reverse psychology to keep people out of a hidden paradise. This state is a frustrating heap of shit.

"Your game is shit, your company is shit. Activision ruined you! Activision ruined you." - Francis
Corey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 11:49 AM   #6
cuttle
now available w/o fish

Moto: DR650, Morini, 1/2 M900ie

according to google (a few years old, but it gives you an idea)

http://www.aft.org/salary/2003/download/2003Table2.pdf

- R. K. Milholland
cuttle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 11:50 AM   #7
Papa_Complex
Nomadic Tribesman

Moto: '09 ER-6n

I kinda consider Huntsville, AL to feel like Guelph, ON ('ceptin' for the big-ass rockets and military base) for some reason. Check it on a map and see if you like the stuff that's within a few hours.

A friend of mine graduated from Teacher's College a couple of years back and it only took him a bit over a year of temping to get a permanent position in the Guelph area.
Papa_Complex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 12:11 PM   #8
CrazyKell
Vrooom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa_Complex View Post
I kinda consider Huntsville, AL to feel like Guelph, ON ('ceptin' for the big-ass rockets and military base) for some reason. Check it on a map and see if you like the stuff that's within a few hours.

A friend of mine graduated from Teacher's College a couple of years back and it only took him a bit over a year of temping to get a permanent position in the Guelph area.
Guelph, Ontario?

The market has changed a LOT even in a few years. I have two years of international experience and can't even get an interview to be considered for the sub list. I mean, not even an interview.

I spoke to a principal at a job in Fergus. The job was a .08 position which is 2 hours and 17 minutes a week....THAT's IT!!! He said he'd have at least 400 applicants.
Old 12-15-2008, 12:15 PM   #9
AquaPython
put it THIS way

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corey View Post
I have experience with many areas in Florida. I'll save you a lot of time and a lot of aggravation: avoid like the plague. The local economy is completely fucked, the pay rate is pathetic, and it is, in general, a fucking dump. Don't get me wrong, there are a lot of beautiful areas that happen to be the beach, but unless you're making a good chunk of cash, you're not living anywhere close to the beach, you're just driving there to overpay for parking and deal with sweaty douchebag tourists.

You would honestly be better almost anywhere else but here. If you're deadset on visiting some of the really nice beaches, just vacation down here. That way you can get the best of the beaches without being trapped in an economically dead black hole.

And no, this is not some funny ha ha kind of reverse psychology to keep people out of a hidden paradise. This state is a frustrating heap of shit.
eh if you got a decent job, and a decent place to live it aint all that bad.
Old 12-15-2008, 12:21 PM   #10
CrazyKell
Vrooom

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommymac View Post
So NYC or other major metro areas arent an option?

Tom
You know.....I never really considered NYC as an option. I didn't even think about it but now I might. Thanks!