Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 11-27-2008, 10:49 PM   #1
vickibocc
Meh

Moto: the backseat of an '06 600rr
Default Random Question

Well, I'm in FL and will be graduating with a BA in Elementary Education in May. So, I'm beginning to think about what my next step will be. Originally I thought about taking a year off to just teach before getting my Master's, but now I'm considering jumping right into it. The boy and I plan on moving back to NY (Saratoga/Albany area) after graduation so I'm looking into graduate programs up there.

Question 1: Does anyone know the requirements to transfer a FL teaching certificate to a NY? I know they have a reciprocal agreement but have been having trouble finding specifically what tests/classes/steps I will need ot take to get the license transferred.

Question 2: Does anyone happen to know how substitute teachers are paid in NY? I'm considering doing that while getting my Master's in order to get a feel for the schools and meet principals, etc. I know where we are living in FL I would get 13.50/hr as a sub with a BA. NY pays teachers more in the salary, but I'm not sure if they would pay their subs more also. I've been trying to google it but haven't had any luck. Any ideas?
vickibocc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2008, 10:50 PM   #2
tommymac
Moto GP Star

First question youre on your own there.

Secondly the pay all depends on where you go. I am in the LI/NYC area teachers in NYC get paid crap and risk getting killed every day. Teachers on LI make some damn good money and have a prety easy gig.

Tom
tommymac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2008, 11:00 PM   #3
vickibocc
Meh

Yeah I know how much teachers get paid. It's shit here in FL. It's better in NY, especially upstate where I'll be moving to, though still not great. My aunt teaches at a school in...maybe Queens? I'm not sure..somewhere in the city. But I was hoping to find out how much substitute teachers get paid there. I know what I can expect when I have my own classroom.
Old 11-27-2008, 11:25 PM   #4
tommymac
Moto GP Star

I dont know the salaries off hand but I think some of the suburban areas upstate would pay ok. I know in NYC they have a hard time keeping good teachers since they head for the burbs once a spot opens up for them.
tommymac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2008, 11:44 PM   #5
vickibocc
Meh

lol.. thanks. But again, I know what the salaries are for teachers. I wanted to know how much substitutes get paid.