Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 10-29-2008, 07:43 AM   #1
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Default License Plate Ticket

I remember someone posting that the police were cracking down on "tucked" license plates....well,I got my ticket on Saturday. I got pulled over by TWO cop cars no less. One was behind me and one ran up to my side. I was like,"What the fuck?", The cop comes up to me,I already had my helmet off and my license, reg paper and ins card out.
Cop,"Do you know why I pulled you over this evening?"
Me, "Nope.."
Cop,"Your license plate is blocked by your tire".
Me,"Really?"

So he goes back to his car and takes literally 15 minutes to write this ticket.

Anyway,long story short,I call the circuit court and ask if I can move my plate and have the ticket dismissed,in NC this is a misdemeanor and you HAVE to go to court (FUCK THAT!). The girl tells me to bring the ticket to the district attorney's office. I go down there and they take a copy of my registration card and tear the ticket up. Apparently,the cops have been writing a TON of these tickets and some guy beat it in court because of the way the law is worded so the court is dismissing them ALL. You'd think someone would tell the cops.....
Amber Lamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 09:58 AM   #2
JoJoYZF
Bring on the Zombies!

Moto: 2000 Yamaha YZF600R

Thats pretty ridiculous for them to keep writing them just to have them all torn up. So are you going to move it or just leave it?
JoJoYZF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 10:00 AM   #3
the chi
Forum Coach

Moto: 2006 GSXR 600

Interesting, you dont by chace have a copy of this law do you? I would be curious to see how it reads...
and let it be known that what The Chi hath spoketh, will henceforth be done.
the chi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 10:01 AM   #4
PhiSig1071
Let go of my ears.

Moto: '03 GSX-R600, '04 625SMC

Hell, they probably did tell the cops, they just want a good reason to harass bikers.

Entia non sunt multiplicanda necessitatem
PhiSig1071 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 11:46 AM   #5
Trip
Hold mah beer!

Moto: 08 R1200GS

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoJoYZF View Post
Thats pretty ridiculous for them to keep writing them just to have them all torn up. So are you going to move it or just leave it?
Cops don't care, they had one guy here tackle and restrain a guy for carrying a gun into walmart in plain sight when we have a law that clearly states that you can carry weapons. Tennessee isn't a concealed carry state, you can carry in plain sight. The cop had just recently taken training on this law. He said that the state he originally worked for (he transferred a couple years ago) would only allow concealed carry. Well the news checked out the laws for that state and that state also allowed plain sight carry.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigger
Whatever,Stoner is a bitch! O.J. Simpson has TWO fucked knees and a severe hang nail on his left index finger but he still managed to kill two younger adults,sprint 200 feet to his car (wearing very expensive,yet uncomfortable Italian shoes) and make his get a way!!!
Trip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 01:17 PM   #6
t-homo
WSB Champion

Here in springfield, at about August, they started cracking down on that and illegal taillights. Luckily I didn't get a ticket when the cop pulled me over for the tail lights. I have them where the leds make a circle, or flash. Cop let me off with a warning and told me I had however long to get regular bulbs back in.
t-homo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 03:13 PM   #7
Captain Morgan
Let's do another U-turn

Moto: 2009 V-Strom

Quote:
Originally Posted by TIGGER View Post
I remember someone posting that the police were cracking down on "tucked" license plates....well,I got my ticket on Saturday. I got pulled over by TWO cop cars no less. One was behind me and one ran up to my side. I was like,"What the fuck?", The cop comes up to me,I already had my helmet off and my license, reg paper and ins card out.
Cop,"Do you know why I pulled you over this evening?"
Me, "Nope.."
Cop,"Your license plate is blocked by your tire".
Me,"Really?"

So he goes back to his car and takes literally 15 minutes to write this ticket.

Anyway,long story short,I call the circuit court and ask if I can move my plate and have the ticket dismissed,in NC this is a misdemeanor and you HAVE to go to court (FUCK THAT!). The girl tells me to bring the ticket to the district attorney's office. I go down there and they take a copy of my registration card and tear the ticket up. Apparently,the cops have been writing a TON of these tickets and some guy beat it in court because of the way the law is worded so the court is dismissing them ALL. You'd think someone would tell the cops.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhiSig1071 View Post
Hell, they probably did tell the cops, they just want a good reason to harass bikers.
Yep. The cops are probably hoping that you run from them or that they find something else wrong and can write a real ticket.
Captain Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 04:11 PM   #8
Mr Lefty
TWFix Legend

Moto: 01 BMW F650GS Dakar

another reason the cops could be doing it is... it's an inconvenience to you... so though the law may be written so that it can be beaten... eventually you'll tire of being pulled over and move your plate
Mr Lefty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 04:26 PM   #9
WARputer
WERA Yellow Plate

Moto: 2005 Hayabusa

I've been stopped 2 times for having the tag vertical ....see pic. No ticket yet but I have no plans to move it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Aug. 2007 Black mid-pipes 003.jpg (80.7 KB, 54 views)
Old 10-30-2008, 11:37 AM   #10
jeeps84
No longer MIA

Moto: 1987 GSXR 50, 1996 Ducati M900, 07 GSXR 750, 07 Harley Davidson Night Train

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Chi View Post
Interesting, you dont by chace have a copy of this law do you? I would be curious to see how it reads...
Not the exact law but what I can remember for the same offense back in the early 90's. Plate has to be visible from 20ft and have a light. I installed a light and took a pic with a range finder at night form 30ft. Then took the pic the the magistrate and he dismissed the charge. No court cost or anything. I failed to show him the pix with someone siting on the bike. Dont think that would have helped my case at all.