Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > Riding > Street

Old 10-21-2008, 07:08 PM   #1
No Worries
Keyboard Racer

Moto: Old Superbikes
Default Fatal Error

I love to ride the mountains and canyons near Denver. One terrific road follows Bear Creek from Morrison up to Evergreen. Most of the curves are very tight. And very blind. But the most dangerous part is passing slow cars. There is only one legal place to pass where the road is generally straight, and only a few places where a sportbike can pass safely.

A young motorcyclist from Boulder made a fatal mistake of passing some slow cars at a straight section, not knowing the lead car was going to make a left turn. He must have been passing when he saw the blinker of the lead car and it started turning. He applied the brakes but ran into the left rear of the turning car and was killed instantly.

Let's learn from his mistake and be safe when passing. Story: http://www.rockymountainnews.com/new...ferson-county/
No Worries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 07:10 PM   #2
Trip
Hold mah beer!

Moto: 08 R1200GS

ouch, happens too often
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigger
Whatever,Stoner is a bitch! O.J. Simpson has TWO fucked knees and a severe hang nail on his left index finger but he still managed to kill two younger adults,sprint 200 feet to his car (wearing very expensive,yet uncomfortable Italian shoes) and make his get a way!!!
Trip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 07:12 PM   #3
PhiSig1071
Let go of my ears.

Moto: '03 GSX-R600, '04 625SMC

I tell my students in EVERY class I teach never to pass stopped traffic. I watched a woman turning left get t-boned by a cop responding to a call, going about 60, because of that.

Damn shame.

Entia non sunt multiplicanda necessitatem
PhiSig1071 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 07:16 PM   #4
t-homo
WSB Champion

Sorry to hear that. I rarely pass multiple cars at once, especially if one is slowing down.
t-homo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 07:16 PM   #5
marko138
DefenderOfTheBuelliverse

Moto: Buell XB12R

That sucks.

Quote:
Grandma said she doesn't want you here when she gets back because you've been ruining everybody's lives and eating all our steak.
marko138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 10:00 PM   #6
Ducati Diva
just learning

Moto: 1996 M900

Unfortunately I work at least one motorcycle mva a week with someone thinking they can pass car or cars in curves on the parkway. It's really sad to see the carnage that easily could be avoided. We also have the ones that want to pass a slowing vechile that is turning left into an overlook. 9 times out of 10 it dosen't end pretty.

Last edited by Ducati Diva; 10-21-2008 at 10:02 PM..
Ducati Diva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 11:27 PM   #7
sfarson
On a Ride

Moto: Two Wheels

Additional details from a Colorado Sportbike Club rider who was part of the group ride when the accident happened. As NW notes, be cautious and aware when passing. Noted at their website...

Quote:
Ok guys, I was on this ride.

This was not a planned ride, just 5 of us who met at MoCo looking for a ride. A few of us are CSC members but I'm not sure about Connor, who died on the scene.

Everyone was in great spirits, looking forward to the great day of riding ahead of us. I had just met Connor at 9:15am, and what really stood out for me was what a friendly and polite guy Connor was, he gave off really good vibes.

He told me he bought his 03' 600RR brand new and had around 10k miles on it, and was looking to get a new liter bike in the future.

I suggested we hit up Deckers, so we loft Moco about 9:30 with myself being the lead rider. We did not do any pre-ride rules on passing or anything, I wish we had.

I couple miles west of Moco, I came across a lone car and decided to pass, the car then pulled over and the group was all together again.

Another mile or two, we came across 5-6 cars, I decided not to pass with the heavy traffic for obvious reasons. There is a strait away another couple miles up, and I new we could pass there. I was just thinking to myself the group might be getting antsy when I heard the scream of Connors CBR.

He decided to come from the very back of the pack, pass the group and the then the few other cars in front of me. He didn't see the Audi slow to start the turn until it was too late. He was on the oppisite lane passing when he collided with her.

It looked like he hit the brakes a hundred yards before inpact but it didn't help much, as you can imagine, the impact was incredibly horrible and violent. The audi seemed to jump 3 feet in the air from the rear.

Just to clarify, he was riding alone, the passenger who was injured was in the car.

It was a nightmare, dead silence as we all pulled over. I'm no expert, but he appered to be dead instantly.

Someone called 911, there were quite a few people there riding bicycles, and stopped cars, everyone wide eyed and trying to come to termes with what we were seeing. A SUV pulled over, and a women hopped out, the driver told us that she is a Doctor. She started looking for signs of life, along with Connors lifelong friend, who was also riding with us.

Another minute or two and emergency care started to arrive. They attemped to revieve him, but after 15 minutes or so they pronounced him dead. Everything started to slow down at that point as the police started taking statements.

Horrible day. RIP
sfarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 12:00 AM   #8
Mr Lefty
TWFix Legend

Moto: 01 BMW F650GS Dakar

wow... that's horrible...it's unfortunate that he made a very risky decision and paid the price for it.

I hope though, that this helps remind people to not get to antsy behind cars... so what if your run through a gorgeous stretch of road was spoiled... turn around and run it again... or try again another time...

RIP...
Mr Lefty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 12:17 AM   #9
MikeSP1
Perpetual trouble

Moto: VTX 1300C, RC51, CBR600RR, CBR929RR

And they saw it happen ... I don't even want to contemplate it.

"He decided to come from the very back of the pack, pass the group and the then the few other cars in front of me. He didn't see the Audi slow to start the turn until it was too late. He was on the oppisite lane passing when he collided with her.

It looked like he hit the brakes a hundred yards before inpact but it didn't help much, as you can imagine, the impact was incredibly horrible and violent. The audi seemed to jump 3 feet in the air from the rear."
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one pretty and well preserved piece, but to skid across the line broadside, thoroughly used up, worn out, leaking oil, shouting GERONIMO!"
MikeSP1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 09:13 AM   #10
marko138
DefenderOfTheBuelliverse

Moto: Buell XB12R

This guy pulled an insanely stupid move. Passing the entire group and 5 or 6 cars. Holy shit.

Quote:
Grandma said she doesn't want you here when she gets back because you've been ruining everybody's lives and eating all our steak.
marko138 is offline   Reply With Quote