Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 08-25-2008, 10:01 AM   #1
fnfalman
Europhile

Moto: Aprilia RS125, Aprilia SR50 Factory, Aprilia Tuono, BMW Rockster, KTM 990 Adventure
Default Last Saturday was first time I've ever seen a bike street crash

I've seen a lot of crash aftermaths but I've never seen anybody crash on the street before. Usually they've crashed and I would come upon them but I finally busted my cherry on that issue.

I took two guys from work riding this Saturday and after we've done with the twisties, getting ready to head home via the freeway, a group of three came up: 1 enduro (Honda?) and two Harleys. One of the Harley boys challenged my guy with the Street Rod for a drag and my guy was sensible enough to laugh it off and went on his merry way along with his riding partner. Well, I should have known better but I didn't. Not to mention that the Austrian Orange tends to make me behave naughtily.

So all four of us had a little drag race going. I gave'em all a head start just to make things interesting and as I passed Harley #1 tailing the pack and approaching Harley #2 with the Honda enduro leading the way, suddenly guy on Harley #2 decided to stomp on the rear brake and locked it up then let the brake out. The bike proceeded to high side threw him off to the left while it tumbled maybe three times to the right. I saw in slow motion the guy flying off to the left spread eagle and said to myself, "This is gonna be ugly." The guy had a chrome dome on, wifebeater, jeans and tennis shoes. Since that he was heading to the pavement face down, I expected the worst to happen, but amazingly enough he hit the pavement, bounced up and started rolling without his head even touching the ground. One of his shoes flew up about twenty feet in the air. I jammed on my brakes and trusted in the ABS, hoping to keep myself from running over his ass.

The enduro guy stopped, I stopped, but his other buddy on Harley #1 kept on going passed all of us. I looked in the mirror and amazingly enough, the guy popped up and started hobbling while the enduro guy ran back to prop up the bike. Since that he was up and running without anything broken, and the enduro guy had everything well in hand, I took off as well.

I'm sure that something significant must have broken off because you don't tumble a 800-lbs bike without bad things happening to the bike. But the guy seemed to have gotten away without much blood loss and serious wounding. I hope that he learned from his lesson and put on some proper gears next time.

fnfalman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 10:12 AM   #2
marko138
DefenderOfTheBuelliverse

Moto: Buell XB12R

Wow. Although I'm sure he did not learn anything and would not hesitate to do the same thing again.

Quote:
Grandma said she doesn't want you here when she gets back because you've been ruining everybody's lives and eating all our steak.
marko138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 10:12 AM   #3
Shift
Just a Noob

Moto: 08 Green 6R

Quote:
Originally Posted by fnfalman View Post
I hope that he learned from his lesson and put on some proper gears next time.
Perhaps he's not the only one who should have learned a lesson.

Street racing is bad mmk.
Shift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 10:26 AM   #4
Rider
Moto GP Star

Why the hell would the guy lock up his rear brake?
Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 10:33 AM   #5
MikeSP1
Perpetual trouble

Moto: VTX 1300C, RC51, CBR600RR, CBR929RR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rider View Post
Did you leave without actually atopping to make sure that the guy was ok? Other than just seeing that he could hobble around.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one pretty and well preserved piece, but to skid across the line broadside, thoroughly used up, worn out, leaking oil, shouting GERONIMO!"
MikeSP1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 10:37 AM   #6
Gunther1000
Jesus Christ!

Moto: (The Chi's lover)

Quote:
Lol, I wonder if he forgot which was the shifter and which was the rear brake!

Why on earth would any sane person do this?
Old 08-25-2008, 10:51 AM   #7
fnfalman
Europhile

Moto: Aprilia RS125, Aprilia SR50 Factory, Aprilia Tuono, BMW Rockster, KTM 990 Adventure

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shift View Post
Perhaps he's not the only one who should have learned a lesson.

Street racing is bad mmk.
Bah! As long as there are no innocent bystanders around, and all participants know the risks involved, it's all for fun...until somebody gets hurt.

Quote:
I have no idea. He locked up the rear brake, the bike slid and he let the brake go, the traction caught and threw his ass off the bike.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeSP1 View Post
Did you leave without actually atopping to make sure that the guy was ok? Other than just seeing that he could hobble around.
He wasn't my buddy. Hate to sound like an asshole, but the guy popped up and hobbled around while the Honda enduro guy stopped and propped up the bike. He seemed to be OK. If he were squirming on the ground, I would have hopped off and went to help.

fnfalman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 11:00 AM   #8
Shift
Just a Noob

Moto: 08 Green 6R

Sorry but thats a very hypocrite attitude to rag on the guy for not wearing gear but its ok for you to be squidly and street race. And obviously they DONT know the risk involved (they think they are impervious to going down) or they would have gear on. So for you to help contribute to their reckless driving is a shame on you. Not saying your a bad guy just think you made a bad decision.

Last edited by Shift; 08-25-2008 at 11:03 AM..
Shift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 11:19 AM   #9
Gunther1000
Jesus Christ!

Moto: (The Chi's lover)

Quote:
Sorry but thats a very hypocrite attitude to rag on the guy for not wearing gear but its ok for you to be squidly and street race. And obviously they DONT know the risk involved (they think they are impervious to going down) or they would have gear on. So for you to help contribute to their reckless driving is a shame on you. Not saying your a bad guy just think you made a bad decision.

Shift, I bet you go to church don't you?

Maybe we should all join hands and just pray for the stupid, non gearing street racing folks huh?
Old 08-25-2008, 11:20 AM   #10
NONE_too_SOFT
Chopstix / \

Moto: 03 CBR RR

Quote:
cause he's gay and has no idea what he's doing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fnfalman View Post
He wasn't my buddy. Hate to sound like an asshole, but the guy popped up and hobbled around while the Honda enduro guy stopped and propped up the bike. He seemed to be OK. If he were squirming on the ground, I would have hopped off and went to help.
Yea, well if i spanked some guys in a race and then one of em crashed, im not sure i'd stick around to gloat either.

Quote:

with great power comes great responsibility, lol.
NONE_too_SOFT is offline   Reply With Quote