Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 03-13-2011, 07:04 PM   #1
racedoll
AMA Supersport

Moto: '04 Kawasaki ZX6RR
Default Military. Who is serving or has served?

Reading some other threads gives me the impression that we have several members that have either served or are currently serving in the military.

I'm curious on: why you joined, what branch you are in/why you chose that branch, and what you do?
racedoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 07:16 PM   #2
Amorok
Issukangitok

Moto: '06 Suzuki Boulevard C50T

I'll be the first.

Active duty USAF since Oct 26th, 1999. I joined for a lot of reasons but mainly because I grew up poor, had a fiancee that I wanted to provide better for than my dad could for my mom, and there weren't any jobs where I lived. I'd pretty much decided since I was little I wanted to join the military when I got older, so it made sense. I couldn't really think of another job that would make my life mean something, where I could make a difference. At least not one that would take me. And lastly, the judge was a REAL big supporter of me not living in Kentucky anymore. Yeah, they still do that in some places.

As for why I'm in the Air Force, it's a funny story. I walked into the recruiting station and went into the first office I saw, which happened to be the Marine recruiter. At the time I was just finishing recovering from something that, among other things, made me lose about 30 pounds. At that age I had almost zero body fat anyway so it was almost all lean muscle loss. I weighed about 120lbs and looked pretty rough. When I told the recruiter I wanted to join the military he asked me how much I weighed and I told him. He said I'd have to gain at least 15lbs before I could join "his" Marine Corps. I said I could do that in a few weeks, he told me no, I'd have to go through a six-month program of diet and exercise, then I could go to MEPS, and maybe a few months after that I could be a Marine. I told him I needed to get out of town a little sooner than that, and he got a little suspicious so I left. The Air Force recruiter just happened to be the next door in the hallway. I asked him how much weight I had to gain to get into the AF and he got all confused. I told him the Marines wanted me to gain 15lbs and I was looking for a better deal. He told me "You don't have to gain weight to join the Air Force, we do that for you!" So 11 years later here I am. If SSgt Purdy had been out to lunch or something I'd be in the Army.
Old 03-13-2011, 07:17 PM   #3
Dave
Chaotic Neutral

Moto: GV1200 Madura, Hawk gt

Why: to kill shit
Where: us army/nj arng
what: 19k tanker/19d cavalry scout

This is my eleventh year serving. Three of those were In iraq
Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 07:24 PM   #4
racedoll
AMA Supersport

Moto: '04 Kawasaki ZX6RR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amorok View Post
I'll be the first.

Active duty USAF since Oct 26th, 1999.
What do you do in the AF?
racedoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 07:24 PM   #5
tached1000rr
WERA White Plate

Moto: 2009 GSXR 1300

Much love to all of you who have or is currently serving
tached1000rr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 07:25 PM   #6
Tmall
Aspiring Rapper

Moto: '12 CB1000R

Why? I grew up poor and needed a good job.
Which element? Navy (Engineering section)
What do I do? I fix and maintain just about everything mechanical on the boat. Finished technician training last year and will be a Engineering plant operator shortly.

BTW: Canadian Navy.
Tmall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 07:33 PM   #7
Captain Morgan
Let's do another U-turn

Moto: 2009 V-Strom

I joined because I didn't have a clue what I wanted to do after high school. Went to college, but dropped out halfway through the first semester. Sat out a semester, then same thing. Decided I was going to join the Marines, because that's the branch my grandpa had been in. Told my uncle and he talked me into the Air Force instead. Joined up, stayed for 7 years working on radar equipment. Got out because my dad wanted me to work for him. Wish I'd stayed in.
Captain Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 07:38 PM   #8
SteveP
Canyon Carver

Moto: The v-twin trifecta

Why? No real direction. Seemed like the thing to do.

1997 - 2002 US Navy.

I worked in an aviation squadron and handled all the aircraft material procurement. Got to play with all the maintenance finances and balance fuel data. Aviation Storekeeper 2nd Class type (AW).
SteveP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 08:28 PM   #9
derf
token jewboy

Moto: CBR 900, KLR ugly ass duckling, Gas Man

Why: Pay for college, I am still in because I actually enjoy it
Where: us army/active reserve
what: currently reserve mobilization combat training planner, I design lanes training scenarios

Plus I get to play with cool toys, These are from 2 weeks ago:

(yes this is really what he turned in to me)

and some other neato stuff

Old 03-13-2011, 08:40 PM   #10
Cutty72
Ride Naked.

Moto: 08 BUELL 1125R, 05 SV650S

ND Army National Guard.
Joined 08NOV99.
Started as a construction equipment mechanic (62B), later reclass to 63B (now 91B), wheeled vehicle mechanic. Currently slotted in a 88N Movement supervisor position. Looking at going warrant in either 915A 919A (both maintenance) or 882A, Movement Officer.
I work full time as a federal technician for the Guard as a Brigade Logistics NCO.

I joined for the money, both college and the extra paycheck, and for the chance to travel and experience more. So far I have been able to travel a bit around the states, to Germany and Kosovo.
Reason I went Army, well, the Air Force wouldn't let me fly the fighters (bad eyes) and Army was the only other local entity.
Gladly without hesitation do it all over again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gas Man View Post
Again... Cutty you are one smart man!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Chi View Post
If I have to get help to get it back up, I dont need to be riding it.

3662 Supply NCO

Cutty72 is offline   Reply With Quote