Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 10-07-2010, 04:54 PM   #1
Smittie61984
I give Squids a bad name

Moto: 1996 CBR600 F3 (AKA the Flying Turd)
Default Individual Health Insurance

I got a new job working EMS but I'll only be a part time employee since I'll be going to school full time starting this spring. They don't offer health insurance to part time employees so I'm going to have to buy individual health coverage.

I've looked around trying to find information about individual plans that wasn't from a company but it hasn't turned up much.

I had Cobra but couldn't pay the $255 a month. My account was terminated and I'd have to appeal it to get it back but I'm not really wanting to pay $255 a month for just me.

Does anyone have experience with individual health insurance. Or once I start school full time can I get student health insurance even though I'm 26?
Old 10-07-2010, 05:04 PM   #2
pauldun170
Serious Business

Moto: 1993 ZX-11 2008 CBR1000rr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smittie61984 View Post
I got a new job working EMS but I'll only be a part time employee since I'll be going to school full time starting this spring. They don't offer health insurance to part time employees so I'm going to have to buy individual health coverage.

I've looked around trying to find information about individual plans that wasn't from a company but it hasn't turned up much.

I had Cobra but couldn't pay the $255 a month. My account was terminated and I'd have to appeal it to get it back but I'm not really wanting to pay $255 a month for just me.

Does anyone have experience with individual health insurance. Or once I start school full time can I get student health insurance even though I'm 26?
some schools its mandatory for full time students to get on the school sponsored plan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
feed your dogs root beer it will make them grow large and then you can ride them and pet the motorcycle while drinking root beer
pauldun170 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 05:54 PM   #3
Tsunami
Pug Queen

Moto: DR200, SV650

They require I get health insurance for nursing school. I went with Aetna. I found them through ehealthinsurance.com and then just purchased through Aetna directly. I am paying $130 a month but they had plans for as cheap as $40 with other companies.
Tsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 09:14 AM   #4
CrazyKell
Vrooom

Moto: 06 ZX6R

I was able to get health insurance through my school and I was 28 when I started (that particular school). That may be a much more cost effective policy for you.
Old 10-08-2010, 01:37 PM   #5
t-homo
WSB Champion

Find an agency (represents a lot of companies, not just a state farm or shelter place) and check with them. They should be able to get you a pretty good premium as long as you get a higher deductible policy
t-homo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 08:05 PM   #6
miztress6
Street Stunter

Who does your student loans? Sallie mae just sent me some info on student health plans. I carry Steve and I through work but it's pretty expensive.
miztress6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 09:52 AM   #7
Smittie61984
I give Squids a bad name

Moto: 1996 CBR600 F3 (AKA the Flying Turd)

Quote:
Originally Posted by miztress6 View Post
Who does your student loans? Sallie mae just sent me some info on student health plans. I carry Steve and I through work but it's pretty expensive.
I"ve paid cash so far. I applied for financial aid and will probably get the Hope scholarship which will pay most of my tuition and books.

I did some more reading and I saw that a lot of the student health plans suck balls. I'd rather just pay for private health insurance and get much better coverage. I saw a couple plans from Aetna and Blue Cross Blue Shield GA that were decent for $150 a month. A shit ton better than the Cobra Bullshit I had with crappy coverage and $255 a month.