Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 08-26-2010, 10:18 PM   #1
Tsunami
Pug Queen

Moto: DR200, SV650
Default Netbook help!

I need some help purchasing a netbook! Its been a while since I kept up with technology....

http://www.dell.com/content/topics/s...dhs&redirect=1

http://www.overstock.com/Electronics...3/product.html

What do you think of these? I am looking at them for the price. What is the dfference between windows starter 7 (dell) and windows xp (samsung). If I don't have an external cd/dvd drive how would I load programs? I do have a external hardrive and a computer with cd/dvd drive so can I just sneaker net it over?

Can I run MS office on them? And is there an imitation MS office that I can download for free? Or feel free to shoot me a pm if anyone wants to share what they have with me

And are netbooks superslow??

Thanks!
Tsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 10:21 PM   #2
Homeslice
Elitist

Moto: Gix 750

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsunami View Post
I

Can I run MS office on them? And is there an imitation MS office that I can download for free? Or feel free to shoot me a pm if anyone wants to share what they have with me
Free:

www.openoffice.org
Homeslice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 04:20 AM   #3
Crotch Rocket Curmudgeon

Moto: Li'l red baby Ninja

If you have a PC that's a few years old, you'll find a modern netbook to actually be relatively fast. If you load Ubuntu on it, instead of Windows, you'll find it to be even faster.

Haven't played with Win7 yet, so I won't speculate how much slower or faster than XP it is...but I sincerely doubt it's really any faster, and I'd be willing to bet it's a significant bit chunkier.

You can share your CD drive from your other computer on the network, and run most installs from it, but the occasional badly written installer may take a path-related profound shit, because it's not running local.
Old 08-27-2010, 05:39 AM   #4
nhgunnut
gun totin redneck

Moto: turbo busa 999 Duc Goldwing & Victory

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avatard View Post
If you have a PC that's a few years old, you'll find a modern netbook to actually be relatively fast. If you load Ubuntu on it, instead of Windows, you'll find it to be even faster.
I have been using the first generation Acer netbook for 2 years. (this thing has been pretty rugged. I dragged it at 70 mph behind my busa for about 2 miles when a strap on my tail bag broke and it still works fine)They are not fast but as Avatard noted they certainly aren't slow either.
One proviso about Ubuntu. It is a great OS but even the latest version 10.04 doesn't have the best battery management strategy and this can limit run time.
( run Ubuntu at at Home)
Old 08-27-2010, 07:25 AM   #5
azoomm
moderator chick

Moto: Pasta Rockets

I bought an external CD drive at best buy for $20, I'd imagine you can find them cheaper.

Windows 7, I love it. I'd go with that over XP. And, certainly go with open office.
azoomm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 09:41 AM   #6
the chi
Forum Coach

Moto: 2006 GSXR 600

I cant remember the brand of mine, its either an Acer or a Dell, and as far as convenience when Im away from home and being able to handle my photos and docs, its great. It is not my primary by any means, as its a bit too slow for my impatience but I do love it.

As far as loading software and such is concerned, I have found using my external hd to transfer over works great with minimal effort on my part.
and let it be known that what The Chi hath spoketh, will henceforth be done.
the chi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 10:12 AM   #7
pauldun170
Serious Business

Moto: 1993 ZX-11 2008 CBR1000rr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsunami View Post
I need some help purchasing a netbook! Its been a while since I kept up with technology....

http://www.dell.com/content/topics/s...dhs&redirect=1

http://www.overstock.com/Electronics...3/product.html

What do you think of these? I am looking at them for the price. What is the dfference between windows starter 7 (dell) and windows xp (samsung). If I don't have an external cd/dvd drive how would I load programs? I do have a external hardrive and a computer with cd/dvd drive so can I just sneaker net it over?

And are netbooks superslow??

Thanks!

Windows 7

A new netbook will seem slow compared to new PC but probably not all that much worse than the average 3 year old PC sitting on someones desk.
Open Office is free but it can be bloated, slow and annoying.
Aren't you a student? See if your school does the whole academic alliance thing and you may be able to get Office for free. Otherwise it will be 20 bucks are something like.
Ubuntu 10 is nice if it takes a liking to the netbook in question and works pretty well but there is a learning curve. That and if something goes screwy you will not be happy. Its pretty quick to boot up and get started, but it isn't all roses. Windows 7 is fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
feed your dogs root beer it will make them grow large and then you can ride them and pet the motorcycle while drinking root beer
pauldun170 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 12:13 PM   #8
Tsunami
Pug Queen

Moto: DR200, SV650

Thanks guys!

My laptop now is about 4 years old so I didn't think the speed of the netbook would really bother me too much. Anything is better than carrying around all those books. I have friends that have rolling bookbags to carry all their crap but I am pretty sure I can get all the books I need electronically.

I didn't know external cd/dvd drives where so cheap! I thought they were about $100!

Pauldun off the top of your head would you know who I would ask about this alliance for ms office? I don't think my instructors would know but i will check with them anyway...We are a pretty new and small school so I think certain resources are not really put in place yet for us. We dont even have .edu addresses anymore due to budget cuts!

What is the difference between windows 7 and starter?
Tsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 01:27 PM   #9
Porkchop
125GP Champion

Moto: Empty Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhgunnut View Post
(this thing has been pretty rugged. I dragged it at 70 mph behind my busa for about 2 miles when a strap on my tail bag broke and it still works fine)
Lol.... Just lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauldun170 View Post
Windows 7

A new netbook will seem slow compared to new PC but probably not all that much worse than the average 3 year old PC.
The question isn't speed off the bat. I don't know if I missed what you will be using it for Tsunami. Will this be everyday use, or travel? The problem with the netbooks ive encountered is if you start to load them down with media files, or large programs without an external hard drive, they almost become overloaded. I mean for powerpoint or internet at the airport or classroom they can't be beat. But if you are using for everyday use I would stay away, without buying an external hard drive. Or using the old laptop as a media computer.
1999 Yamaha R6 - Sold

Last edited by Porkchop; 08-27-2010 at 01:32 PM..
Porkchop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 01:51 PM   #10
the chi
Forum Coach

Moto: 2006 GSXR 600

I agree with Porkchop, I forgot to mention, I dont save ANYTHING on my netbook, I keep it all on the external so I dont have to worry about slowing it down.
and let it be known that what The Chi hath spoketh, will henceforth be done.
the chi is offline   Reply With Quote