Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 10-19-2009, 05:20 PM   #1
AquaPython
put it THIS way

Default PS3, HDMI audio

so i got my new theater up and running.

PS3 audio when i played the blueRay "The Watchmen", HDMI audio had a strange problem, the lows were almost inaudible and the highs were blaring.

i have not trouble shot this yet, so i dont know if this is
a) the way this blueRay was burned.
b) the way all blueRays are created.
c) the PS3 settings.

it is not the next level up, because other inputs , HDMI or otherwise do not have this problem. any thoughts?
Old 10-19-2009, 06:21 PM   #2
goof2
AMA Supersport

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaPython View Post
so i got my new theater up and running.

PS3 audio when i played the blueRay "The Watchmen", HDMI audio had a strange problem, the lows were almost inaudible and the highs were blaring.

i have not trouble shot this yet, so i dont know if this is
a) the way this blueRay was burned.
b) the way all blueRays are created.
c) the PS3 settings.

it is not the next level up, because other inputs , HDMI or otherwise do not have this problem. any thoughts?
You might want to check your receiver anyway. Some of them support preset audio settings for each input so differences in sound from each source can be equalized. I'm pretty sure the PS3 only sends the unaltered digital stream to the receiver where it is then decoded. You may want to check what kind of audio stream is being sent though. I believe there are two options, bitstream and something else which I don't remember (PCM maybe?). I also don't know which one you should use but you can try them both to see which sounds better.
goof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 07:44 PM   #3
EpyonXero
AMA Supersport

Moto: 2003 VFR800f6

Quote:
Originally Posted by goof2 View Post
You might want to check your receiver anyway. Some of them support preset audio settings for each input so differences in sound from each source can be equalized. I'm pretty sure the PS3 only sends the unaltered digital stream to the receiver where it is then decoded. You may want to check what kind of audio stream is being sent though. I believe there are two options, bitstream and something else which I don't remember (PCM maybe?). I also don't know which one you should use but you can try them both to see which sounds better.
Blu-Ray movies usually have this problem simply because their audio has a much wider dynamic range than TV or DVD(usually) sources. So the loud parts are louder and the quiet parts, i.e. dialog, is much quieter.

For starters Id check the PS3 audio settings just to make sure you know what they are. Make sure you are in a 5/6/7.1 format. If that is the case and youre still having problems I would adjust the individual speaker levels in the receiver to make things more even. Boost the center channel for dialog and maybe lower the surround channels.

Or, if that doesnt work or you dont want to do it Im pretty sure you can turn on Dynamic Range Compression in the PS3 settings menu which will make the blu-ray audio signal more like a TV signal without the dramatic peaks and valleys. You will lose some of the sound detail but you shouldnt have that low audio problem.
EpyonXero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 08:46 PM   #4
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

To be honest with you, I'm almost sure that you have your settings on the PS3 to Blue Ray video on bit stream instead of PCM

Also in the PS3 settings under sound, it allows you to choose what formats your stereo accepts. You may want to play with those.
Amber Lamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 09:32 PM   #5
Rangerscott
Viff6N Mutated Warrior

Moto: '01 Honda VFR 800 & '09 ER-6N

The Dark Knight is REALLY bad about being too quiet then too loud.
Rangerscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 09:39 PM   #6
Crotch Rocket Curmudgeon

Moto: Li'l red baby Ninja

Turn off any "spatializers", stereo spread enhancers, or other audio enhancement processor circuits in the audio setup of your TV.

I'd bet money one of those features is turned on. This is almost ALWAYS what is at issue when "certain things" are suddenly much louder for no reason.
Old 10-20-2009, 12:16 AM   #7
goof2
AMA Supersport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avatard View Post
Turn off any "spatializers", stereo spread enhancers, or other audio enhancement processor circuits in the audio setup of your TV.

I'd bet money one of those features is turned on. This is almost ALWAYS what is at issue when "certain things" are suddenly much louder for no reason.
I believe AquaPython just got a new surround receiver. When you are running Bluray over HDMI receivers usually shut off all those effects. Whatever flavor (various forms of Dolby digital or DTS) the movie was mastered in is what the receiver will play. If he is talking about audio through the TV it is a good thing to check though. Most of those simulated surround modes do sound poor.
goof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 02:37 AM   #8
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
I believe AquaPython just got a new surround receiver. When you are running Bluray over HDMI receivers usually shut off all those effects. Whatever flavor (various forms of Dolby digital or DTS) the movie was mastered in is what the receiver will play. If he is talking about audio through the TV it is a good thing to check though. Most of those simulated surround modes do sound poor.
I just redid my surround sound, bought a new pre-amp and I had to reset my settings on my PS3. I guarantee that's where his problems are.
Amber Lamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 09:18 AM   #9
AquaPython
put it THIS way

ok what are the sound settings in the PS3, and what do they mean?

i am not using the tv speakers, even though they are THX certified or whatever.

so in the menu does it say bit stream / PCM ? whats the difference? i will have to look at this tonight maybe.
Old 10-20-2009, 11:30 AM   #10
Crotch Rocket Curmudgeon

Moto: Li'l red baby Ninja

Quote:
Simulated surround sound often works on the audio technique of "comb filtering". This can cause some sounds occuring in certain parts of the spectrum to be reproduced at a disproportionate level ("jump out").

Turn OFF all surround sound, and spatial processing "modes".

They are pure fucking garbage, and completely worthless anyway.

Sounds like utter fucking ass.