Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 09-08-2009, 11:57 PM   #1
thirdgenlxi
They call me a ride whore

Moto: 2004 CBR 600 F4i
Default Soooo yea.... I almost died today

Just as the title says..... it was waaaaay too close for comfort!! And no this doesn't involve the bike at all, she was sitting in the parking lot waiting patiently for 5:00 until I could ride her home. This one involved a 6 wheeled beast, actually.

Anyways, for those that don't know, I work as a Ford diesel tech. I'm at work today, finishing up a headgasket job on a 2006 Ford F-350 King Ranch, 6.0L diesel 4x4 crew cab long bed dually. Big truck, just like the one seen below.... it weighs in at 10,500 lbs empty

Headgaskets are a very common thing on these trucks with this engine.... I've done about a million of them before. I always find it easiest to just lift the cab off the truck rather than pulling the engine out or doing them in cab (sucks!!!!). Just as seen below (this was on a different truck I did headgaskets on)

So today I finish all the engine work that I needed to do while the cab was off, and lowered the cab back down onto the frame. On the crew cabs there are 8 body mounts, 6 of which are inside the cab, and the front 2 are in the very front right by the radiator and intercooler. I finished everything in the engine bay that needed to be done, then the last thing I put on were the 2 18mm nuts for the front body mounts. I was going to back the truck out some before doing the inside body mounts because I couldn't open the doors due to the lift posts. I tighten the front 2 body mounts, then lift the whole truck up in the air to finish up a couple things underneath and put the running boards back on before I backed it up and out of the stall. I had already raised it up once already so the rack was already set underneath the truck. I'm very picky about how I set the rack and always double check to make sure the little feet are where they are supposed to be before lifting it up. They were, so up I went... lifted the truck about 7 feet or so off the ground (I'm 6ft tall and I was holding the running boards over my head to put them on, and walking freely upright under the truck). Now on the Ford trucks the way the frame is you have to put these little extender things on the rear arms of the lift to raise the little 'feet' up so that the truck will go up level. I put it up and I'm bolting the drivers side running board back on, then all of a sudden I hear a BOOM and see the truck shift pretty fast. It was the weirdest thing... I didn't even think about anything I just immediately dropped down to the ground and rolled out from under the lift. Everything was like slow motion and I could see the truck falling as I was rolling out from under it. This all took place in prob a split seconds time.

I get up and analyze the situation.... the LR tires are sitting on the ground in the middle of my stall almost on the sidewalls, the RR tires are probably 5 feet or so in the air, the truck is sitting at about a 45 degree angle cocked to the left, the cab came completely off the frame EXCEPT for the 2 body mounts that I had just tightened in the very front, so it's tilted forward and to the left. Very bottom part of the cab was about level with the top part of the truck bed. When the frame popped the LR lift arm out from under it and the rest popped out after, they all caught on the cab and held it. The ONLY thing holding the frame/engine/trans/etc up in the air in the front were those 2 rubber body mounts.

In this pic, it's the 2 studs sticking up in the front just behind the bumper. When you lower the body down there's an 18mm nut that goes onto each from the top. That's all that was holding the entire front of the truck from crashing down on top of me

Had those 2 mounts not been tightened, the cab would have completely seperated from the frame, and the whole truck minus cab would have come straight down to the ground and squished me flat (remember that's 10,500 lbs). I GOT FU***NG LUCKY!!!!

The funniest part about this whole thing.... the truck was running the entire time. Seeing it sitting there all discombobulated and pointing every which angle, cab off the frame, and it's just running along like no big deal..... clak clak clak clak clak clak clak, hahahah. I finally had to climb up and shut it off.

So.... that was my excitement for the day, definitely got my heart pumping! I really did get super lucky not only that I'm alive, but didn't even get hurt at all. After a little intestivating I've found that the extender feet that they use on these lifts are super cheezy and loose. They have a big threaded nut welded onto the end of the arm, then the little foot screws down into it. Then there's the extenders, which I have to use on these trucks, which slides over that 'foot' and has yet another nut welded into it with another foot screwed on. So by the time they're fully extended there's so much play in it that it can lean quite a ways! Which is what happened here... it was fully under the frame where I placed it (where it's supposed to be), but when I picked it up it cocked the whole extended foot piece, and the weight of the frame just pushed it right out from under it. Works fine for cars and stuff, but definitely a very poor design for big heavy trucks like these. I'll definitely be talking with my boss tomorrow about a different style of arms for my lift

Black/Red '04 CBR 600 F4i - 253,500 miles and counting
Black '89 Accord LX-i sedan - 435,200 miles still going strong

States visited on my F4i

facebook.com/thirdgenlxi
thirdgenlxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 12:09 AM   #2
derf
token jewboy

Moto: CBR 900, KLR ugly ass duckling, Gas Man

That sounds like fun. I dropped a car off a jack stand a foot off the ground and tried to catch it by grabbing under the brake disk (didn't quite work as expected), anyway, i had a hard enough time with a 3k lb car, let alone a 5 ton truck
Old 09-09-2009, 12:12 AM   #3
Antwanny
WERA White Plate

FUCK THAT go buy a lotto ticket it is your lucky day.
Antwanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 12:21 AM   #4
Captain Morgan
Let's do another U-turn

Moto: 2009 V-Strom

Glad to hear you're ok. Any damage to the truck? Dealerships insurance cover it, or what? Again, glad you made it out alive
Captain Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 05:55 AM   #5
Gas Man
Trip's Assistant

Moto: 2009 HD Street Classic

Crazy

What damage done to the truck?

What did the boss say about it?

"Why pay somebody else to fuck up your bike?"
Run Amsoil Product
Gas Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 01:30 PM   #6
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gas Man View Post
Crazy

What damage done to the truck?

What did the boss say about it?
I'm glad that you're okay but I'm also curious about what your boss had to say... I mean you even said yourself that you've done this "a million" times so blaming the accident on the equipment might not cut it.
Amber Lamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 09:39 PM   #7
racedoll
AMA Supersport

Moto: '04 Kawasaki ZX6RR

Damn lucky!
racedoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 09:41 PM   #8
MILK
The cows want you dead.

Just like the move in Sky High! Kids movie, sorry I have a 7 year old...

Glad you are OK Jared!
MILK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 10:04 PM   #9
Particle Man
Custom User Title

Moto: 2003 SV650S

ouch. call it a day and have a beer.

and holy crap that engine and tranny are clean as all hell.

Handle every stressful situation like a DOG: If you can't eat it or hump it, pi$$ on it & walk away.
Particle Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 10:08 PM   #10
BobTheBiker
too much time on my hands

Moto: 01 ZX6R, looking for more now.

you done got DAMNED LUCKY. I COMMAND you to go buy a lotto ticket right now.
BobTheBiker is offline   Reply With Quote