Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 09-06-2009, 07:03 AM   #1
CasterTroy

Default I watched my best friend die yesterday

My best friend moved from basically my backyard down to Pittsboro NC a few years back when he lost his job in Greensboro. That didn’t stop us from riding almost every Saturday though as we would either meet in the middle or he’d come up my way, or I’d go down there.

LAST Saturday I went to him…so THIS week, he came to me. We wanted to hit the hard twisties near the parkway so it was a motard day. And since you don’t ride those an hour on the hiway, he came from Pittsboro, NC in his truck loaded with his KTM 950 SM.

He drove and hour and a half to my house where we unloaded at 10am and headed up Number 8 to unity church. We hit Squirrel spur and then had lunch at meadows of dan. At about 12:30 pm we hit the parkway and then shot down tuggles gap.

We were going along at a good clip. I was in the lead, and Brian was following doing his usual antics….wheelies on the straights. That KTM would bring the front up at 60 with just a bump of throttle.

About ½ down the mountain at about 1:20 I lost sight of his headlight, so instantly I stopped.

I’ve NEVER lost sight of Brian’s headlight behind me, as he’s MUST faster/better rider than I am

When I stopped I heard a “POP” in the woods. Like that of a tree limb breaking. My heart sunk. I turned around and within 100 yrds of where I stopped was a black mark 100ft long going straight off the road after a hairpin turn. I leaped off my bike to see Brian lying face-up on top of his bike 75 ft down the ravine. I tried to call 911 but got no reception. I ran down to him where his head was cocked to the side, face shield off, helmet cracked eyes wide open and the normally sky blue eyes, a milky white. His face was pressed up against his helmet where it looked like he wouldn’t be able to breathe. He wasn’t. I slapped his exposed stomach and yelled for him to wake up, but no response. I breathed in his nose and started chest compression, but as I breathed in, the exhale was gurgling and blood started flowing from his mouth.

I knew he was gone.

I ran back up the hill, jumped on the bike, and headed back up the road a ½ mile to a little shack. A Mexican male answered the door and I yelled 911. He handed me the phone, and I called it in. Jumped back on the bike to be by his side. I continued CPR when the guy who’s phone I used arrived. He didn’t speak English but asked if her could help in what little spanish I knew. I asked for him to stay up there to flag the EMS.

We were only 4 miles form the EMS so they arrived in less than a few minutes.

2 nurses first, from a close by hair salon.

They got to work on him.

5 minutes later 20 more volunteers, medics, and fire.

2 troopers soon arrived.

After 20 minutes they pronounced him dead on the scene. Broken neck, instantaneous. He felt nothing.

After an hour long roadside interview the troopers informed me NOT TO CONTACT his wife. They would do that. So I rode my bike down to the EMS where they made me stay and chill out.

I called my wife and told her we were having a great time and were taking a little longer to return.

After convincing the nurses I could get home (2hr ride when we’re kicking butt) I started the trek home. What do I tell my wife? OH GOD…JULIE (his wife) why can’t I call her? If it were ME I’d want HIM to be the one to call HER…what am I going to do?

I got home about 4pm and told Sharon. She fell to pieces….and swore right then I would never get back on a bike. I told her to NOT got there.

We both cried, then she called her parents to come up from Charlotte (1hr away) to help us cope.

They arrived after my shower….and we all talked.

It was decided that Sharon and I MUST drive the 1-1/2 long trip to his home to deliver the news PERSONALLY.

I called the troopers cell phone to see if they had deliver the news to Julie. They said NO, that they don’t like giving the news over the phone and would be contacting the sheriff to go to her house.

Julie didn’t get off work till 5:30 so we would beat her home

We arrived at 6:45 and beat her home. Since she worked in Raleigh her commute was about 45 minutes.

We waited for another 45 minutes when she pulled up. She got out of the car, saw my face and started crying. She said that the trooper had JUST called her in the car, made her pull over and told her. RIGHT BEFORE she got home.

She was in shock. She didn’t know what to do.

We tried to comfort her, but she just wanted to be alone and fall apart in private.

I asked if she knew where the guns were, and would she go there? She assured me she WOULD NOT.

After many hugs and “I love you’s” we left her alone. Her parents would be arriving soon.

PLEASE be in prayer for Julie. As well as Brian parents, brother and sister.

Brian was 42, and they were married for 25 years this past may. They didn’t have any children.

He was my best friend.

Last edited by CasterTroy; 09-09-2009 at 10:04 PM..
CasterTroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 07:24 AM   #2
OneSickPsycho
Ride Like an Asshole

Moto: nothing...

Jesus... No words could ever describe how sorry I am to hear this. You, your wife and his family will be in the forefront of my thoughts. If there is anything I can do, don't hesitate to ask.

RIP
OneSickPsycho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 07:59 AM   #3
karl_1052
sergeant hatred

Moto: The bus

Wow Troy.

I don't know what to say. That is the most heartbreaking news I have ever read.

RIP Brian.
Old 09-06-2009, 08:03 AM   #4
zer0t
Kneedragger

Moto: 2003 FLSTCI 2008 KTM RC8

I read this a few minutes after you posted and couldn't collect my thoughts to respond. I cannot effectively express my sadness for your loss and what you experienced. My deepest sympathies to you and his family.
zer0t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 08:10 AM   #5
Tmall
Aspiring Rapper

Moto: '12 CB1000R

So sorry to hear that Troy. It's not to often I'm moved by bike accidents. But, I could barely finish reading this one.

RIP to Brian. You, yours and his wife will be in my thoughts.
Tmall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 08:26 AM   #6
MILK
The cows want you dead.

I am so sorry. That made me cry Troy. Rip Brian. My prayers are with your family and his family.
MILK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 08:40 AM   #7
Trip
Hold mah beer!

Moto: 08 R1200GS

I am so sorry troy. Please let any of us know if you need anything. RIP Brian...
Trip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 08:55 AM   #8
VatorMan
Wrap Yo Ass in Fiberglass

Moto: Feet

So sorry that happened. RIP Brian.
VatorMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 09:03 AM   #9
Cruzergirl
Its a good day.

Moto: Victory Kingpin Low

So sorry for your loss. You are in my prayers...
Cruzergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 09:14 AM   #10
pauldun170
Serious Business

Moto: 1993 ZX-11 2008 CBR1000rr

I am so sorry Troy. My deepest condolences and my heart goes out to Sharon as well as to you and yours..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
feed your dogs root beer it will make them grow large and then you can ride them and pet the motorcycle while drinking root beer
pauldun170 is offline   Reply With Quote