Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 01-16-2009, 02:53 PM   #41
skiergirl
Gixxer Girl

Moto: 05 GSXR 750 & 06 YZ250F

I've always wondered that myself? I'm from PA but I remember in NJ you weren't allowed to pump your own gas and I never understood why the hell not. Anyone have an anwer?

Well I took the libery of googling it...... http://ask.yahoo.com/20040715.html
skiergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 02:54 PM   #42
Rider
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Chi View Post
You guys are telling me that its not LEGAL to pump your own gas? WHY?!
From Wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Petrol_stations

Quote:
.......All stations in New Jersey and Oregon, however, offer only full service and mini service; attendants are required to pump gas because customers are barred by statutes in both states from pumping their own gas. New Jersey banned self-service gasoline in 1949 after lobbying by service station owners. Proponents of the ban cite safety and jobs as reasons to keep the ban. Likewise, the Oregon statute banning self-service gasoline lists seventeen different justifications, including the inflammability of gas, the risk of crime from customers leaving their car, the toxic fumes emitted by gasoline, and the jobs created by requiring mini service. In addition, the ban on self-service gasoline is seen as part of Oregonian culture. One commentator noted, “The joke is when babies are born in Oregon, the doctor slaps their bottom, ‘No self-serve and no sales tax’ It’s as much a cultural issue as an economic issue. It’s a way of life.” In 1982, Oregon voters rejected a ballot measure sponsored by the service station owners, which would have legalized self-service gas.
Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 03:04 PM   #43
the chi
Forum Coach

Moto: 2006 GSXR 600

WOW. Thanks for the input, forgive me, IMO thats slightly retarded, altho Im all for creating jobs.

Dangerous? I endanger my life on a daily basis, somehow, Im thinking blowing myself up at a gas station or getting robbed at one is the least of my worries. If I end up in the paper one day, OOPS!
and let it be known that what The Chi hath spoketh, will henceforth be done.
the chi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 03:07 PM   #44
Papa_Complex
Nomadic Tribesman

Moto: '09 ER-6n

Which brings to mind the whole flamable = inflamable thing
Papa_Complex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 04:00 PM   #45
2up
Waiting for Hello Kitty!

Moto: Nothing ATM, which makes me want to cry.

Quote:
WOW. Thanks for the input, forgive me, IMO thats slightly retarded, altho Im all for creating jobs.

Dangerous? I endanger my life on a daily basis, somehow, Im thinking blowing myself up at a gas station or getting robbed at one is the least of my worries. If I end up in the paper one day, OOPS!
You know what though, the gas in Jersey isn't any more expensive than other places that don't have full service. And I for one, when I have been there in extreme cold or heat, am only to happy to not have to get out of my car to pump gas!!
2up is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 04:17 PM   #46
Quick281
Victim of Blazer Rapage

Moto: 06 GSXR 600

Quote:
Originally Posted by marko138 View Post
Thats how it is in Jersey. There is NO self serve gas in that state.

What is that like on a bike. Just pull up and some dude just sticks the nozzle between your legs for 30 seconds? Or do you make a point of getting off the bike and walking away.

That would creep me out.

My 06 GSXR 600 <-- Its Clickable Fools.
Quick281 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 04:26 PM   #47
G-Rex
Where to next?

Moto: TL1000R, Hayabusa, R1150RT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick281 View Post
What is that like on a bike. Just pull up and some dude just sticks the nozzle between your legs for 30 seconds? Or do you make a point of getting off the bike and walking away.

That would creep me out.
When I've been in Oregon and NJ, they just come out, swipe my card for me, and hand me the pump. They stand there the whole time and take the pump from me when I'm done and put it back themselves. Weird.
Old 01-16-2009, 05:01 PM   #48
Quick281
Victim of Blazer Rapage

Moto: 06 GSXR 600

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Rex View Post
When I've been in Oregon and NJ, they just come out, swipe my card for me, and hand me the pump. They stand there the whole time and take the pump from me when I'm done and put it back themselves. Weird.
Thats better then I envisioned. With my luck I would get some angry old man determined to obey the law and look me right in the eyes as he filled my tank up . Without a doubt I would get off the bike and let the man do his thing.

My 06 GSXR 600 <-- Its Clickable Fools.
Quick281 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 05:12 PM   #49
Dave
Chaotic Neutral

Moto: GV1200 Madura, Hawk gt

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2up View Post
You know what though, the gas in Jersey isn't any more expensive than other places that don't have full service. And I for one, when I have been there in extreme cold or heat, am only to happy to not have to get out of my car to pump gas!!
cheaper actually, we're in pretty close proximity to some oil refinerys and the discount is very nice.

and yes, you pump your own on the bike. most of the time the guy is lucky if he even gets to swipe it for me
TWF Post whore #6
Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 01:29 AM   #50
Sixxxxer
Like Gixxxxer But Not

Moto: 2008 ZX6R

Quote:
Which is stupid. I don't want sketchy bastards touching my ride.

What about motorcycles in those states? How is that dealt with? No asswipe is filling my bike.
Quote:
Thats how it is in Jersey. There is NO self serve gas in that state.
Quote:
You guys are telling me that its not LEGAL to pump your own gas? WHY?!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick281 View Post

That would creep me out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Rex View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
cheaper actually, we're in pretty close proximity to some oil refinerys and the discount is very nice.

and yes, you pump your own on the bike. most of the time the guy is lucky if he even gets to swipe it for me

Lol, You guys crack me up. Yes its Illegal for you to pump your own gas as a customer...And it IS Actually illegal for Motorcycles to pump there own gas...but As stated, I let them do it themselves...BUT I will say this...There are some sneaky fuckers who try and act like a hardass and then they try and stiff me the money in the end.

I was pumping gas one time and this guy comes up on a Harley...Typical Harley gear...Brain bucket chaps leather vest cut off gloves...Looks like a toolshed. So I walk over and hes trying to swipe his card (I make sure I do it so I know it gets processed properly) Dude cops an attitude with me like I'm trying to pump it for him...hes like "I got it chief" im like I know sir im just making sure everything is done the way its supposed to. Then hes like...I need paper towels so I dont get gas on my tank...So i hand them to him and hes like I got it from here...In my mind i'm like...I fucking ride you assfuck and I know what your doing...dont be such a hardass b/c I can sympathize with you on the situation...So instead of walking away I stayed there made sure he did what he had to and hung up the nozzle for him...Stupid fuck dripped gas on his own tank pulling the nozzle out Lol