Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 06-05-2009, 12:04 PM   #31
HokieDNA01
WERA White Plate

Moto: 2007 Suzuki GSX-r 750

I grew up not liking guns and they still make me uneasy. But the world around me makes me uneasy too. And the things that happen around me are beyond my control. A gun is not. I took the class so I could educate myself on safety and accuracy. I spend quite a bit of money on ammo so I can improve my aim and gain trust in my ability. My entire family disapproves of my gun ownership and I respect them for it as I do you Tig. I shared their point of view for years. They also do not like my motorcycle so you see what that effect had.

I explain guns to my Mom in two ways. I look at it like an insurance policy. My Mom always says "I don't want to live in a world were I feel like I need a gun" Well I dont also don't want to live in a world where I feel like I need medical insurance or cancer insurance (my parents have that) but sometimes you prepare for the worst even though you hope to God you will never have to use it. It gives you options.

The other analogy I use is that guns just as much of a weapon as a car. A car is very deadly if you point it at someone and "pull the trigger" push the accelerator. It isn't the cars fault that it hit someone...it is the drivers. So what do we do? We train our drivers, we test them and give them licences insuring they have the skill needed, and we punish them for breaking the law. I wish this country would inforce the gun laws that it has instead of always looking for new ones to add to the books.

Do I always have a gun on me?...absolutely not. Would I have had one on me the night the Jonny's shooting happened even if it was legal to carry in there? Not necessarily. And would I have acted if I did have one when the shooting took place? I dont know and have asked myself that many times. I will never know. But I do not like the thought of being helpless.

The other shooting that has hit very close to me is the Virginia Tech shootings. Many of you may not have made the connection but a Hokie is VT's mascot and I got my degree from there. I had classes in the building that the second shooting occured and spend some time living in the dorm where the first person was killed. Would students having guns on campus prevented that much tragedy?...I dont know but I would have trusted having a gun more then I would have trusting throwing myself out the window in a last ditch effort to save myself.

Here is a picture of myself at a Memorial Service at Vanderbilt after the shooting. April 16th still hits me hard every year.

2014 Honda NC700X
2007 Suzuki GSX-r 750
2000 Yamaha XT225
2004 Kawasaki EX250 (sold)

Last edited by HokieDNA01; 06-05-2009 at 12:27 PM..
HokieDNA01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 12:28 PM   #32
Trip
Hold mah beer!

Moto: 08 R1200GS

All I got to say is choose not to come to Tennessee if you don't like our laws.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigger
Whatever,Stoner is a bitch! O.J. Simpson has TWO fucked knees and a severe hang nail on his left index finger but he still managed to kill two younger adults,sprint 200 feet to his car (wearing very expensive,yet uncomfortable Italian shoes) and make his get a way!!!
Trip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 12:55 PM   #33
unknownroad
Guys... where *are* we?

Moto: SV650 Interstate, CX500 rat-bobber, whatever else runs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TIGGER View Post
I guess leaving your gun at home isn't an option....
Sometimes it is, sometimes it isn't. I leave my pistol at home if I know I'm going to end up someplace where I can't legally carry. However, sometimes plans change in the middle of the day, particularly with things like going out to dinner.

Quote:
Anyway, I'm sorry but I honestly think that a bar is the last place you'd want people to carry guns into. Seriously, even if YOU aren't drunk, there will still be drunk people there and what might have been a typical "pushing match" could easily denigrate into someone getting shot.
Quote:
Plus I don't go looking for trouble, if that's "turning a blind eye". In the hood it's always best to mind your own business. Ha that's why we tend to yell at the screen in horror movies! "Don't go in there bitch that's where the motherfucking killer is!!!
Exactly.

I don't drink in public, I don't get into pushing matches, and I stay out of other people's business... I'm 33 and haven't been in a physical confrontation since high school.

Bottom line is, shooting someone is an absolute last resort, whether I'm in a bar or at church, but that doesn't mean I want to give up that means of defending myself. The law is just an attempt to fix an "only outlaws will have guns" situation.
Old 06-05-2009, 01:00 PM   #34
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Okay, I understand all of your points of view, thanks for a reasonable debate. Don't worry Trip, I don't plan on living in Tn as it is still legal to hang my kind there.
Amber Lamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 03:19 PM   #35
marko138
DefenderOfTheBuelliverse

Moto: Buell XB12R

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Chi View Post

Tig, what in the hell are you talking about? Are you drunk already? I dont get your post at all...
Probably because he's a level 4 retard.

Quote:
Grandma said she doesn't want you here when she gets back because you've been ruining everybody's lives and eating all our steak.
marko138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 03:21 PM   #36
Papa_Complex
Nomadic Tribesman

Moto: '09 ER-6n

Quote:
Originally Posted by marko138 View Post
Probably because he's a level 4 retard.
Ohhhhhh, THAT'S why he keeps missing with Magic Missile.

http://www.morallyambiguous.net/
Papa_Complex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 05:15 PM   #37
Smittie61984
I give Squids a bad name

Moto: 1996 CBR600 F3 (AKA the Flying Turd)

Here in Georgia we are allowed to carry a gun into a bar as long as we aren't drinking. So far the only murders that I know of are by people who aren't allowed to own guns.
Old 06-05-2009, 07:06 PM   #38
dReWpY
RIP REX

Moto: 2008 1125R

as bar security I am not a fan of this law, in fact i am asking to be removed from head of security to strictly bar backing depending on how and if ppl start carrying

on saturday night i had to choke a guy out because he would not calm down, guys was unconcious when the ambulance arrived, a few weeks ago, i backhanded some drunk asshole that made the point and click motion to a bar tender, a bar back and myself, guns and alcohol do not mix, sorry, no if ands or buts about this one

i think it will not be an issue because rumor has it you can not bring in a gun to an establishment that has an age limit

for the 99.99% of ppl that are smart enough to know not to shoot someone when they get pissed off when they are drunk, that .01% could be in my bar pissed at me for cutting them off, looking at them funny or pissed someone looked at their girl the wrong way

now it is illegal to have the gun and to take a drink, but who knows when someone walks into the bar, decides to have only one and then continues to partake?

Venom R1-016 Squadron
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip View Post
Moral of this story is everyone is fucked up no matter atheist or religious.
dReWpY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 07:10 PM   #39
Papa_Complex
Nomadic Tribesman

Moto: '09 ER-6n

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewpy View Post
as bar security I am not a fan of this law, in fact i am asking to be removed from head of security to strictly bar backing depending on how and if ppl start carrying

on saturday night i had to choke a guy out because he would not calm down, guys was unconcious when the ambulance arrived, a few weeks ago, i backhanded some drunk asshole that made the point and click motion to a bar tender, a bar back and myself, guns and alcohol do not mix, sorry, no if ands or buts about this one

i think it will not be an issue because rumor has it you can not bring in a gun to an establishment that has an age limit

for the 99.99% of ppl that are smart enough to know not to shoot someone when they get pissed off when they are drunk, that .01% could be in my bar pissed at me for cutting them off, looking at them funny or pissed someone looked at their girl the wrong way

now it is illegal to have the gun and to take a drink, but who knows when someone walks into the bar, decides to have only one and then continues to partake?
If I read this law properly, it's still up to the facility in question to ultimately decide if they are permitted or not. Make sure that the owner knows that you want it posted plainly outside that guns are not permitted, or that you don't want to be held responsible for it.

http://www.morallyambiguous.net/
Papa_Complex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 07:32 PM   #40
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewpy View Post

That's basically my point. I don't know how many times I've been with someone who starts the night claiming they aren't going to drink, then decides to have one or two, and I'm carrying them out at the end of the night.
Amber Lamps is offline   Reply With Quote