Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 09-08-2009, 08:17 AM   #31
CasterTroy

Quote:
Originally Posted by askmrjesus View Post
Hey Troy, Sorry to hear about your friend. I wish I could say I can't imagine how you feel right now, but unfortunately, I can.

We all know, deep down, that motorcycles are inherently dangerous pieces of machinery. Hell, I expect that's why many of us ride them. We tell ourselves, (and our spouses) that we'll be OK. We have all the training, all the gear, and the experience, but in the end, we know it could all go wrong in an instant. It's the nature of the beast. Always was, always will be.

My advice, hang up your helmet for awhile. You have too much bad shit floating around your head right now, and it's going to take a while before you have the kind of confidence it takes to ride like you want to. I don't think anyone would blame you for wanting to trade the bike in for a car, but you already know it won't be the same thing. How could it be?

If you decide the risks aren't worth the reward, move on to something new. If you decide to jump back on, I can tell you from experience that it does get better, and that eventually it will be fun again. It won't ever be quite the same, but, well, that's just how it is.

Take care man.

JC

Damn dude....you brought a tear to my eye! That was awesome and I appreciate that more than you'll ever know

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericr View Post

The real question for me and the way I look at it is...do I want to live until I die or live in a bubble and start dying slowly now because I'm scared it's going to happen? Well, it's inevitable, it's gonna happen and I'd rather live until then. I feel most alive on a bike, wether I'm pushing it or just cruising along, but that's the most alive feeling for me with some adrinelin thrown in once and a while.

EXACTLY

No, I don't take stupid chances...and I'm very careful looking out for other idiots. So IF anything were to happen on 2 wheels, it would be a freak accident or a careless action of another (pulling out in front of me...etc) and NOT how Brian died.....a wheelie between curves on a "deals gap" road

But...you're right! 100%
Old 09-08-2009, 08:50 AM   #32
LeeNetworX
SFL Expatriate #1

Moto: '09 Triumph Speed Triple

Quote:
Originally Posted by RACER X View Post
miata!

first start auto-crossing

then road racing.
Miata wouldn't work for Troy; he has testicles.
LeeNetworX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 09:15 AM   #33
wildchild
cruiser

Moto: '09 HD superglide, 16 Yamaha FZ 09

if you're going to cars I would go with used corvette, camaro, or mustang. they're fun as hell to drive and very capable racers. Yes they will do the prerequisite burn out very well.

before jumping I would give it time first. it is just the normal grieving process. as your friend becomes more of a "great times together" memory rather then "worst day of my life" memory that haunts you now, getting back into your normal routine will become easier.

very sorry to hear about your loss.
wildchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 09:31 AM   #34
RACER X
AMA Supersport

Moto: '10 Tuono Factory

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeNetworX View Post
Miata wouldn't work for Troy; he has testicles.
if you got a big enough "tool" who needs ballz..........lol or a monster truck for that fact......
2009 SFV Gladius - SOLD
2008 Hayabusa - SOLD.
RACER X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 02:27 PM   #35
TommyHotWheel
Imported from Detroit

Moto: 2001 Suzuki TL1000R

If you need something to turn and squirt with, try an Ariel Atom. You can put it together and put any engine you want in it. Junkyard ecotech 4 with the supercharger....

Cry Havok! And let slip the hogs of war!
TommyHotWheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 03:03 PM   #36
karl_1052
sergeant hatred

Moto: The bus

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyHotWheel View Post
If you need something to turn and squirt with, try an Ariel Atom. You can put it together and put any engine you want in it. Junkyard ecotech 4 with the supercharger....
The only problem is price.
Atoms are big freaking money now.
Old 09-08-2009, 03:04 PM   #37
Apoc
For Science. You Monster.

Moto: '08 HD FLSTSB

Troy, im no pro, i've never gone through something like this before. But as backwards as this sounds, sneak away and go for a ride. Just a relaxing, slow ride, to think and see how you feel.

Your family of course comes first. But you LOVE riding, and this isnt a reason to stop. Your friend died while doing what he loved. While that is sad, its more than any of us could ever hope for.

Death is a chance we take everytime we walk outside. Those of us who ride, obviously are taking a little bigger chance, but we know that, and find it worth it. Your friend knew that. And you knew that.

Nothing is ever going to take away the hurt. But you cant let the world scare you either. Did you say you'd never love again when you and your wife split up? I doubt it. I know it didnt involve death, but still traumatic.

The best way to honor those who died before their time, is to live life to the fullest, both for yourself and them. Giving up riding wouldnt be doing that. And im sure your friend would want you to live life, no matter how selfish you may think he was.

I know we had our differences in the past at cf sometimes (mostly over your faith and my lack of), but i've always had a ton of respect for you. If your faith is as strong as ever, then you believe god took him for some greater purpose. Hold on to that belief, and find comfort in it. Giving up isnt holding on. Good luck my friend, I hope I helped even just a little.
Apoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 03:35 PM   #38
pauldun170
Serious Business

Moto: 1993 ZX-11 2008 CBR1000rr

Wait till next season.
If you decide to step away from the sport
Sell the bikes while they still hold value on the market.

Pick up a cheap used standard to justify the MC endorsement on your license. Something simple like that's easy to maintain. A basic motorcycle like a 90's CB750 or Kawi 750 (air or oil cooled). Don't spend more than 1500. There is something therapeutic about an old basic motorcycle and it may come in handy.

As for things to fill the void.
Used Vettes are fun, but I'd also check to see how well you could fit in an Elise.
Hitting the track has already been mentioned....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
feed your dogs root beer it will make them grow large and then you can ride them and pet the motorcycle while drinking root beer
pauldun170 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 04:11 PM   #39
Krabill
WERA Yellow Plate

Moto: 08 WR250R, 12 XTZ1200

Riding is a part of life for some people. It is just something to do for others. When my friend was killed, I was back out riding again that weekend. Never gave it up. Never even took a break from it. It is a dangerous activity. Things happen. You either accept them, or find another avenue and move on. As a matter of fact, I'm typing this with my left arm in a full cast right now. I'll be riding again the day they cut this sum bitch off.
Krabill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 04:27 PM   #40
CrazyKell
Vrooom

Moto: 06 ZX6R

Go track only. Family can come and enjoy it with you.
CrazyKell is offline   Reply With Quote