Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 05-22-2009, 11:20 AM   #21
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtemple View Post
That's why I work on my own bike.

If I need tires mounted, I take the wheels in.

That's the only thing I let someone else do.

So far so good, the only person that's scratched one of my rims is me.
Yep, I just got off my lazy ass and bought the tools at Harbor Freight to do my tires.

Wheel balancer $59

Tire bar $5.99

Bead breaker $19.99

I'm considering getting the wheel stand from HF for $49 and I need to buy the plastic inserts to prevent scratches after I get my rims repainted but otherwise I'm good to go. My bike is under warranty until Nov 2010 so I'll just take it elsewhere if I need major service.
Amber Lamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 11:24 AM   #22
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by shmike View Post
Dude, nobody said anything about being your fault.

What was said was there was probably a back story.

Turns out there is.

Why would you keep going to a shop that continually fucks your shit up?
I live in Greenville,NC check for service shops here and you'll have your answer. Plus, I have the extended warranty on my bike so I have to go to a Suzuki authorized center or I risk voiding it. Simple. Oh and the fact that I'm too lazy to drive 100+ miles round trip to take it elsewhere...
Old 05-22-2009, 11:25 AM   #23
Particle Man
Custom User Title

Moto: 2003 SV650S

Quote:
Originally Posted by TIGGER View Post
Yep, I just got off my lazy ass and bought the tools at Harbor Freight to do my tires.

Wheel balancer: $59

Tire bar: $5.99

Bead breaker: $19.99

Not having Ron Ayers fuck up your shit:PRICELESS
Couldn't help it

Handle every stressful situation like a DOG: If you can't eat it or hump it, pi$$ on it & walk away.
Particle Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 11:27 AM   #24
OTB
The Man

Moto: 00 Bimota DB4

We have a local Duc dealer (Speed's, 1o minutes from me) here who is the same way. Took my ST2 to him and his butchers the first time. Standard Duc tune up of $800 bucks.....and for that I got missing bodywork screws, an untorqued torque arm on the rear brake which came loose and snapped the rear brake line, and a valve check that never happened ( brought it in for the 6k service with a too loose closer on the intake; when I picked it up, it was still ticking). When I brought it back 15 mins later with the list of issues and a hanging rear brake line, owner told me he couldn't get to it for 3 weeks (had it there waiting for service intially for three weeks) and they would have to charge me standard shop rate for any further work they did. When I complained that the work ordered and paid for wasn't done or done incorrectly, and that I paid for work that wasn't finished, he told me I could take my business somewhere else.

So I did; I bought a Duc manual from Coleman's and learned to do the Duc myself. Now I'll drive the 45 minutes to Coleman's for parts because I vowed to never give aholes like Speed another dime.
OTB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 11:30 AM   #25
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Particle Man View Post
Couldn't help it
Yea, but have you ever changed your rubber out by hand? Ooooo what a pain in the ass! The worst part is that I don't have a garage so all this crap is sitting on my patio... I wonder what Rider's HOA would say about that?
Old 05-22-2009, 11:31 AM   #26
Sixxxxer
Like Gixxxxer But Not

Moto: 2008 ZX6R

They'd have a shit fit and sell your house underneath you.
Old 05-22-2009, 11:37 AM   #27
Rider
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTB View Post
We have a local Duc dealer (Speed's, 1o minutes from me) here who is the same way. Took my ST2 to him and his butchers the first time. Standard Duc tune up of $800 bucks.....and for that I got missing bodywork screws, an untorqued torque arm on the rear brake which came loose and snapped the rear brake line, and a valve check that never happened ( brought it in for the 6k service with a too loose closer on the intake; when I picked it up, it was still ticking). When I brought it back 15 mins later with the list of issues and a hanging rear brake line, owner told me he couldn't get to it for 3 weeks (had it there waiting for service intially for three weeks) and they would have to charge me standard shop rate for any further work they did. When I complained that the work ordered and paid for wasn't done or done incorrectly, and that I paid for work that wasn't finished, he told me I could take my business somewhere else.

So I did; I bought a Duc manual from Coleman's and learned to do the Duc myself. Now I'll drive the 45 minutes to Coleman's for parts because I vowed to never give aholes like Speed another dime.
Good for you. Vote with your feet and your wallet. If more people practiced this, there would be far less problems with poor workmanship.
Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 11:38 AM   #28
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTB View Post

Oh yea? Well what ELSE did you do to this poor dealer to cause him to act this way? Come on there HAS to be a "back story"....

Man, it's amazing that some of these places stay in business at all! I once had a transmission job done on my '97 YZF1000R at Shawmutt Hills Yamaha in Grand Rapids, Mi and the mech didn't seat the shift shaft seal correctly... every time I pulled in the clutch oil would leak out onto my rear tire. Luckily I noticed it on my way home from the shop.

Shit, I could tell "dealer horror stories" all day. I don't think that I've ever had a dealership NOT fuck something up on a bike that I've owned. To be honest, I don't really get angry anymore because I half expect problems now.
Old 05-22-2009, 11:39 AM   #29
Rider
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by TIGGER View Post
Yea, but have you ever changed your rubber out by hand? Ooooo what a pain in the ass! The worst part is that I don't have a garage so all this crap is sitting on my patio... I wonder what Rider's HOA would say about that?:lol
I'd be the first one over (with a 12 pack of beer in hand)to help you fix your bike.
Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 11:41 AM   #30
shmike
Follower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rider View Post
I'd be the first one over (with a 12 pack of beer in hand)to help you fix your bike.
Cans only, I assume.

Carrying glass bottles needs to be pre-approved by the board.
shmike is offline   Reply With Quote