Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 12-15-2008, 12:53 PM   #21
tommymac
Moto GP Star

The public schools in NYC are a joke, its shit pay and some of them are like warzones. Any decent teacher leaves and comes ou tto the burbs. Nassau and suffolk pay much better and there much less of a chance of getting shot.

Tom
tommymac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 12:55 PM   #22
AquaPython
put it THIS way

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corey View Post
This state is brutal for teachers, and that's before factoring in how god awful the schools are in general. The pay is miserable as well. If Kell is looking for any kind of position in education, Florida just isn't the place. Though I did make a big assumption that she was looking for a position in education, so I could be way off base.
agreed
Old 12-15-2008, 04:37 PM   #23
Lamnidae
CMDLINE

Moto: 2008 Black/Grey Hayabusa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa_Complex View Post
I kinda consider Huntsville, AL to feel like Guelph, ON ('ceptin' for the big-ass rockets and military base) for some reason. Check it on a map and see if you like the stuff that's within a few hours.

A friend of mine graduated from Teacher's College a couple of years back and it only took him a bit over a year of temping to get a permanent position in the Guelph area.
Werd on H-Town.

only thing I gotta say is the drivers here f'king suck ballz (but not in the good way that Drewpy sucks ballz )

But otherwise it isnt' too bad. I wouldn't advise you coming down this way because most of the jobs here are either with NASA or the Gub-ment and with you being Kandian.... yeah that probably won't work out too well (my bad, assuming you are holding kanadian citizenship).

My 0.02$ (which is like probably ten bucks CAD, right? ) Check Texas as well, lots of good schools and the towns are awesome just stay away from Houston. I'd love to go back home to Texas.
Lamnidae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 04:42 PM   #24
Lamnidae
CMDLINE

Moto: 2008 Black/Grey Hayabusa

Quote:
Originally Posted by RACER X View Post
look into Austin Tx
werd.

Congress street FTW. I'm sure he'd pick up more than he'd hope for there.
Lamnidae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 04:46 PM   #25
TommyHotWheel
Imported from Detroit

Moto: 2001 Suzuki TL1000R

Look into the Hampton Roads area, maybe get a teaching position on one of the bases and its pretty nice here...but I judge that from living in Mid-Michigan all of my life...

Cry Havok! And let slip the hogs of war!
TommyHotWheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 04:47 PM   #26
cuttle
now available w/o fish

Moto: DR650, Morini, 1/2 M900ie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa_Complex View Post
I like Charlotte, myself, but isn't real estate and rent fairly pricey there these days?
Actually it's cheaper than WNC - and the job market is better

- R. K. Milholland
cuttle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 04:51 PM   #27
Archren
Sham WOW

Moto: 2007 Ducati 1098

Austin, TX FTW... I can't speak for what the teaching job market is here *now*.. but my mom worked as a high school teacher for a while. There's also positions at the community college if you want something temp until you find a permanent teaching position elsewhere.. and they're (both the community college and the regular school system) *always* looking for substitute teachers. The bonus, too, is that there are a lot of surrounding communities (Cedar Park, Leander, Round Rock, Pflugerville, Kyle, Buda, etc.) that have exploding populations, and as such brand new schools that are in need of teachers.

"The Vincent was like a bullet that went straight; the Ducati is like the magic bullet that went sideways and hit JFK and the Governor of Texas at the same time. It was impossible."
- Hunter S. Thompson, Song of the Sausage Creature

"Be who you are and say what you feel
because those who mind don't matter
and those who matter don't mind."
-Dr. Seuss
Archren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 04:55 PM   #28
R6Chick
I haven't had that in yrs

Moto: 2004 R6

I just happen to know lots of teachers in Fort Lauderdale and all I can say is run! The stuff from kids they put up with down here is horrible, the general education system is horrible, and there's no money in it. I do know someone who's a principal and making ends meet, so if you're interested in administration, you could look down here, but it's very political.
R6Chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 05:03 PM   #29
LeeNetworX
SFL Expatriate #1

Moto: '09 Triumph Speed Triple

Kell - the school systems in FL are a joke; you don't want to work there. Lisa hated teaching down there and I don't think she'd ever teach there again.
LeeNetworX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 05:07 PM   #30
unknownroad
Guys... where *are* we?

Moto: SV650 Interstate, CX500 rat-bobber, whatever else runs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommymac View Post
The public schools in NYC are a joke, its shit pay and some of them are like warzones. Any decent teacher leaves and comes ou tto the burbs. Nassau and suffolk pay much better and there much less of a chance of getting shot.

Tom
Don't forget about NJ and CT suburbs... no idea what the competition is like, though I imagine it's pretty high... their per-capita education spending numbers are among the highest in the country. Not sure why they'd want a Canadian teacher over a home-grown one, tho
unknownroad is offline   Reply With Quote