Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 10-20-2009, 06:43 PM   #21
Rangerscott
Viff6N Mutated Warrior

Moto: '01 Honda VFR 800 & '09 ER-6N

"surround" on my tv actually helps the audio. Without it on, it's even quieter.
Rangerscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 01:46 AM   #22
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by goof2 View Post
What are you using now? I have only ever used the PS3, but the people over at the home theater forum I read still seem to think that the PS3 is one of the best Bluray players available.
Oh I know! I'm using my PS3 but I'm of the impression that a decent $200 Blu Ray would do the same job... Am I mistaken? I totally waffle back and forth on this deal...
Amber Lamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 09:35 AM   #23
AquaPython
put it THIS way

Quote:
I would select all of them. Your receiver is able to decode any format currently available.
ok PS3 gives two choices, auto or manual.
auto i select HDMI , and then shows you that pretty much everything is checked. (leaving out that one, pcm i think)
manual gives a the list that you can check which ones you want.

everything was checked since i already had hdmi selected.
Old 10-21-2009, 10:06 AM   #24
goof2
AMA Supersport

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaPython View Post
ok PS3 gives two choices, auto or manual.
auto i select HDMI , and then shows you that pretty much everything is checked. (leaving out that one, pcm i think)
manual gives a the list that you can check which ones you want.

everything was checked since i already had hdmi selected.
Ok, that being the case I do not think it is your PS3 creating the issue. I have some things listed below that may be contributing. Most are stupid, but it is good to check everything.

On the speakers, are you using a subwoofer?
Have you tried changing the bass/treble settings? Does it have any noticeable effect?
Have you run an audio test (using test tones) on the speakers to make sure they are all connected to the right speaker outputs on the receiver?
Mess with the settings for the speakers. Change the speaker size setting in the receiver to large for all speakers. Shut off the crossovers to all speakers or, if that can't be done, set them to the lowest they can go.

It may be that the receiver had settings that were cutting off the bass and boosting the treble out of the box. Try messing with them and see if it makes a difference.
goof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 10:14 AM   #25
AquaPython
put it THIS way

check my first post, it works fine on other inputs.

i did find in another settings area , something that normalizes sounds, reducing the volume differences , but it said it was only for media on the HD (ie not games or BD's)
i checked it anyway, but i don't think it made much of a difference. i want to try another BD and a PS3 game , to see if it is just how watchmen was created.
Old 10-21-2009, 10:51 AM   #26
goof2
AMA Supersport

Quote:
Originally Posted by TIGGER View Post
Oh I know! I'm using my PS3 but I'm of the impression that a decent $200 Blu Ray would do the same job... Am I mistaken? I totally waffle back and forth on this deal...
I don't know enough about it to give you a good opinion. From my understanding though the PS3 is a very capable player and Sony designed the hardware in a way to "future proof" it for quite a while. They are also good about releasing software updates which add compatibility for new formats.

If you want a much more informed opinion I would suggest checking out avsforum.com as they have a shitload of information (sometimes too much). Their "PS3 as a blu-ray player" thread has over 26,000 replies. You should be able to get a better idea over there.
Old 10-21-2009, 11:23 AM   #27
AquaPython
put it THIS way

hmm i wonder if i hook up the PS3 to the internet and update the software, the problem will be fixed? strange though, this is the brand new slim PS3
Old 10-21-2009, 01:03 PM   #28
goof2
AMA Supersport

Quote:
hmm i wonder if i hook up the PS3 to the internet and update the software, the problem will be fixed? strange though, this is the brand new slim PS3
It can't hurt. For both my PS3 and the 2 iPods I have had there were software updates available as soon as I bought them. You may also want to check how the HDMI input you have the PS3 hooked up to is set. It probably isn't the problem but it looks like there are some settings that can be made on that receiver specific to each HDMI input, including audio level and type of signal. You may want to also try hooking the PS3 up to another HDMI input on the receiver and see if it makes a difference.
Old 10-21-2009, 01:14 PM   #29
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
It can't hurt. For both my PS3 and the 2 iPods I have had there were software updates available as soon as I bought them. You may also want to check how the HDMI input you have the PS3 hooked up to is set. It probably isn't the problem but it looks like there are some settings that can be made on that receiver specific to each HDMI input, including audio level and type of signal. You may want to also try hooking the PS3 up to another HDMI input on the receiver and see if it makes a difference.
Also try using an optical cable(toslink) for sound and see if it's better... On my cable box, the optical sounds much better probably due to the box's limitations.
Old 10-21-2009, 01:15 PM   #30
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:

hey try a regular dvd and see what you get.