Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 06-05-2009, 11:26 AM   #21
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by unknownroad View Post
I keep hoping they'll pass a law like that in South Carolina. Here, you can't take a legal concealed firearm into any establishment selling liquor for consumption... so if I go out to a restaurant, I have to leave my gun in the car. Which of course makes it a lot more likely to be stolen than if I kept it on my person, and can be difficult to do discreetly when parking in a crowded area. It's a real pain in the ass.

Since I don't drink when I'm out, I'm fine with that provision.

to TN
I guess leaving your gun at home isn't an option.... I'm sorry, I've avoided this thread and I know that we've all had this argument before but I will never understand this... I've lived in some of the grimiest hoods this country has to offer and I've never felt the need to carry a gun everywhere I go. I know for a fact that most of you live in the country or 100k+ homes, located in quiet suburbs with HOAs... I bet some of you carry to church on Sunday! Anyway, I'm sorry but I honestly think that a bar is the last place you'd want people to carry guns into. Seriously, even if YOU aren't drunk, there will still be drunk people there and what might have been a typical "pushing match" could easily denigrate into someone getting shot.
Amber Lamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 11:32 AM   #22
HokieDNA01
WERA White Plate

Moto: 2007 Suzuki GSX-r 750

Quote:
Originally Posted by TIGGER View Post
I guess leaving your gun at home isn't an option.... I'm sorry, I've avoided this thread and I know that we've all had this argument before but I will never understand this... I've lived in some of the grimiest hoods this country has to offer and I've never felt the need to carry a gun everywhere I go. I know for a fact that most of you live in the country or 100k+ homes, located in quiet suburbs with HOAs... I bet some of you carry to church on Sunday! Anyway, I'm sorry but I honestly think that a bar is the last place you'd want people to carry guns into. Seriously, even if YOU aren't drunk, there will still be drunk people there and what might have been a typical "pushing match" could easily denigrate into someone getting shot.
Just curious cause I know you mentioned the "I've lived in dangerous places" before. So the crimes that have happened in the areas that you live in, did you just know that that type of thing would never happen to you? Did you feel that you would never be an innocent bystandard of crime or did you feel like you could defend yourself with just fists? Or is it just turning a blind eye?

I am not and will not argue this topic as I know it is a hot one and both sides will never see eye to eye. I am just curious about how you felt that you would always be safe in dangerous surroundings?

2014 Honda NC700X
2007 Suzuki GSX-r 750
2000 Yamaha XT225
2004 Kawasaki EX250 (sold)
HokieDNA01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 11:33 AM   #23
skiergirl
Gixxer Girl

Moto: 05 GSXR 750 & 06 YZ250F

But he's thinking like a guy and a fairly tall/large guy. What are the chances of a mugger with only a knife holding you down in an alley and raping you? or anyone larger physically assaulting you in any way? not nearly as likely as a smaller woman.

I'm all for the law, if more people had guns there would be less crime in my opinion. I know many disagree but I'm all for it.
skiergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 11:38 AM   #24
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by HokieDNA01 View Post
Rae, I think what he ment was now that I can carry into a bar...will I never drink again? It is a valid question and is along the same lines as "well now you can drive so will you never have a beer if you drive yourself home?"

I look at it like this. People that obey gun laws and get carry permits respect the laws of the land. It would be very easy to carry concealed in TN without paying the money and taking the time to get tested, checked out by the FBI, finger printed etc. Most CCP owners value their rights and the laws. They would not be the ones to worry about. Its the gun owners that do not have permits that carry illegally already that would not worry about having a few beers but since they are already doing that...they should inforce the law on them.

Exactly my point. I hear what you are saying about permit holders but even you compared it to licensed drivers and I can see the same type of "one or two won't hurt" attitudes springing up. I also understand and know for a fact from working in a bar that some people still bring their guns into bars even though it's illegal here. I appreciate that you tried to see my pov in stead of instantly attacking me for my views Cathy, unlike some people... I just can see similar attitudes cropping up... I mean, maybe not YOU but most drinkers I have ever known have had a "few" beers and driven home. In a lot of ways that's infinitely more dangerous that just having a gun strapped to your side and yet most of you do it. Why would you have more respect for this law?
Old 06-05-2009, 11:38 AM   #25
the chi
Forum Coach

Moto: 2006 GSXR 600

Ah, thanks Kathy, that cleared it up a bit.

Honestly Tig, I do agree with you to an extent, and what you stated about a "shoving match" is the reason people carrying should NOT be drinking. It too easily could detiorate into a gun match instead of a fist fight.

Logically and rationally, the law makes sense, to those who want to carry a weapon for their protection and that of their loved one, needed or not.

Kathy's posted article is a PERFECT example of when it would have been good to have been carrying, and drinking a diet coke at the bar. Someone could possibly have saved the life of the dead man if they had seen and responded to the immediate threat of someone pulling out a gun. You shoudnt NEED to have a gun, or plan to use it, but it could make a difference one day.
and let it be known that what The Chi hath spoketh, will henceforth be done.
the chi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 11:42 AM   #26
the chi
Forum Coach

Quote:
Exactly my point. I hear what you are saying about permit holders but even you compared it to licensed drivers and I can see the same type of "one or two won't hurt" attitudes springing up. I also understand and know for a fact from working in a bar that some people still bring their guns into bars even though it's illegal here. I appreciate that you tried to see my pov in stead of instantly attacking me for my views Cathy, unlike some people... I just can see similar attitudes cropping up... I mean, maybe not YOU but most drinkers I have ever known have had a "few" beers and driven home. In a lot of ways that's infinitely more dangerous that just having a gun strapped to your side and yet most of you do it. Why would you have more respect for this law?
Just because they drink and drive doesnt mean everyone does, nor does it make it right.

The only thing I see this law doing is making it legal to carry a gun in a bar which I am sure some people were already doing already.

Is anyone having more respect for this law than the other? Honestly? Or is it just more of a hot button topic because you dont believe in carrying weapons? I dont drink and drive, my hubby doesnt drink and drive...I know people that do, but just because they dont respect the law doesnt mean I wont...
Old 06-05-2009, 11:47 AM   #27
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by HokieDNA01 View Post
Just curious cause I know you mentioned the "I've lived in dangerous places" before. So the crimes that have happened in the areas that you live in, did you just know that that type of thing would never happen to you? Did you feel that you would never be an innocent bystandard of crime or did you feel like you could defend yourself with just fists? Or is it just turning a blind eye?

I am not and will not argue this topic as I know it is a hot one and both sides will never see eye to eye. I am just curious about how you felt that you would always be safe in dangerous surroundings?

I guess that I've never felt "vulnerable" in that way... Plus I don't go looking for trouble, if that's "turning a blind eye". In the hood it's always best to mind your own business. Ha that's why we tend to yell at the screen in horror movies! "Don't go in there bitch that's where the motherfucking killer is!!!" Besides,I don't consider myself a coward but I'm certainly not going to involve myself in a gunfight in a bar unless the situation directly involves me, armed or not!
Old 06-05-2009, 11:51 AM   #28
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Chi View Post
Ah, thanks Kathy, that cleared it up a bit.

Honestly Tig, I do agree with you to an extent, and what you stated about a "shoving match" is the reason people carrying should NOT be drinking. It too easily could detiorate into a gun match instead of a fist fight.

Logically and rationally, the law makes sense, to those who want to carry a weapon for their protection and that of their loved one, needed or not.

Kathy's posted article is a PERFECT example of when it would have been good to have been carrying, and drinking a diet coke at the bar. Someone could possibly have saved the life of the dead man if they had seen and responded to the immediate threat of someone pulling out a gun. You shoudnt NEED to have a gun, or plan to use it, but it could make a difference one day.
I meant that an argument keep more easily end up with someone dead even if the guy with the gun was sober. You know, some drunk asshole grabs your gf's ass...etc. It could of, at worse, ended in a fist fight but now someone is dead kind of thing.
Old 06-05-2009, 11:58 AM   #29
z06boy
Letzroll

Moto: 07 Red R1 & 07 Blue R6

I do conceal carry. However imho I think it's safer for me to carry it into a restaurant with me and NOT drink than to leave it in the car outside for someone to break into and steal.

I can't conceal carry and consume alcohol now so that wouldn't change or affect me. If I decide to drink...I don't conceal it...but I can still carry it in the car...just not drive.

My wife drinks more than I do these days...loves her wine...so many times when we go out to eat she will drink and I won't so it would be nice to not have to worry about leaving my handgun in the car under the seat.

I'm not saying I carry everywhere all the time but if I do choose to it would be nice not to worry about an establishment serving alcohol...especially if I don't plan to drink anyways.

I carry at work so "why don't you just leave it at home" doesn't always work.
z06boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 11:58 AM   #30
the chi
Forum Coach

Quote:
I meant that an argument keep more easily end up with someone dead even if the guy with the gun was sober. You know, some drunk asshole grabs your gf's ass...etc. It could of, at worse, ended in a fist fight but now someone is dead kind of thing.
I understand 100% what you are saying, and I almost added that onto my original post but couldnt get the words just right. You are right, even sober, some hot head could take offense to some drunk idiot and make the wrong decision. That fool would make a bad name for people who carry and perhaps open some peoples eyes to perhaps making rules stricter before allowing permits (waits for it...)

I dont think the govt should regulate us wholly, but I do know that in taking my class recently, the instructor was VERY GOOD, and he covered every conceivable scenario, but I know there were still folks in that class that didnt take things "seriously" and only want a concealed carry b/c they think its "cool".

But hopefully, when that hothead does decide to do something stupid that could harm others, some levelheaded reasonable person, whether they need their gun or not, will be there if needed. That might be my need to "meddle" in others affairs, but if I see something I know is wrong, and I can do something about it, I will. It may get me hurt or killed one day and I know its not logical or rational, but I know I will stand up for someone else, gun or no gun.