LeeNetworX
SFL Expatriate #1

Moto: '09 Triumph Speed Triple

Pics or FAIL, Mikey.
LeeNetworX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 11:59 AM   #12
AquaPython
put it THIS way

Lee i will post pics after halloween, all my house upgrades have been under tight security for the last 5 months until my unveiling / halloween party next week.
Old 10-20-2009, 12:04 PM   #13
LeeNetworX
SFL Expatriate #1

Moto: '09 Triumph Speed Triple

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaPython View Post
Lee i will post pics after halloween, all my house upgrades have been under tight security for the last 5 months until my unveiling / halloween party next week.
Nice! Looking forward to seeing your work.
LeeNetworX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 12:53 PM   #14
goof2
AMA Supersport

Quote:
ok what are the sound settings in the PS3, and what do they mean?

i am not using the tv speakers, even though they are THX certified or whatever.

so in the menu does it say bit stream / PCM ? whats the difference? i will have to look at this tonight maybe.
While on the main PS3 menu screen scroll to the left and there should be a settings menu. Scroll down on that until you get to "Sound Settings". Go in to that menu and select "Audio Output Settings". Select HDMI and scroll right. Select the manual method for setting output. You will then have a long ass list of formats available. If you bought the Denon receiver you were talking about (2310) it should handle anything available so select them all. Hopefully this will fix the problem.
goof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 12:57 PM   #15
AquaPython
put it THIS way

i did get the 2310, so just do guess and check method? or is there a specific one that i should try first?
Old 10-20-2009, 01:25 PM   #16
goof2
AMA Supersport

Quote:
i did get the 2310, so just do guess and check method? or is there a specific one that i should try first?
I would select all of them. Your receiver is able to decode any format currently available.

When you play a bluray movie make sure you go in to whatever audio options menu there is and select the best audio format available though. It will be either a DTS or Dolby digital format. The best formats for each are DTS-HD Master Audio and Dolby TrueHD.
Old 10-20-2009, 05:01 PM   #17
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

I agree with everything goof said with the addendum of going into the video settings on the PS3, there's a section there that deals with blu-ray and sound. If you have all of the speakers set to the same settings in the receiver, large/thx, small/thx or whatever is available. I never got an answer as to what speakers you are using, are they all the same-especially across the front? For example, I have Boston Acoustics speakers set up in a 5.1 configuration with the front left, center and front right being the same speaker. I cheated in the rear by using dipolar BA speakers that use the same mids and highs and running them through a dual coil woofer in an enclosure under the coffee table (bass is non-directional). The beauty of this set-up is that it allows me to set all of the speakers to the "large/thx" setting in my pre-amp which equalizes the sound from all angles giving you the best surround set-up. FWIW there is nothing currently on the market provides true 6.1 or 7.1 surround sound. If you get serious, make sure you get a spl meter and set the levels to the same point on all of your speakers. Also, take the time to measure the distance from each speaker to the primary listening position (where my ass sits in my case!) and adjust the delays accordingly. I'm probably going to break down and buy a separate blu-ray player just because they are so inexpensive now.
Amber Lamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 05:15 PM   #18
AquaPython
put it THIS way

while i did not catch everything you said, i got the jist of it. i have 5 simlar, if not the same pioneer speakers, from an older out of the box set up. the denon has a microphone that can it can use to detect and auto correct the sound settings. however, i cant use it because i believe my wood floor / walls causes an echo in the test sound patterns so it always fails saying that there is ambient noise. (i had everything in my house shut off trying to figure this out)
Old 10-20-2009, 05:49 PM   #19
goof2
AMA Supersport

Quote:
Originally Posted by TIGGER View Post
I agree with everything goof said with the addendum of going into the video settings on the PS3, there's a section there that deals with blu-ray and sound. If you have all of the speakers set to the same settings in the receiver, large/thx, small/thx or whatever is available. I never got an answer as to what speakers you are using, are they all the same-especially across the front? For example, I have Boston Acoustics speakers set up in a 5.1 configuration with the front left, center and front right being the same speaker. I cheated in the rear by using dipolar BA speakers that use the same mids and highs and running them through a dual coil woofer in an enclosure under the coffee table (bass is non-directional). The beauty of this set-up is that it allows me to set all of the speakers to the "large/thx" setting in my pre-amp which equalizes the sound from all angles giving you the best surround set-up. FWIW there is nothing currently on the market provides true 6.1 or 7.1 surround sound. If you get serious, make sure you get a spl meter and set the levels to the same point on all of your speakers. Also, take the time to measure the distance from each speaker to the primary listening position (where my ass sits in my case!) and adjust the delays accordingly. I'm probably going to break down and buy a separate blu-ray player just because they are so inexpensive now.
What are you using now? I have only ever used the PS3, but the people over at the home theater forum I read still seem to think that the PS3 is one of the best Bluray players available.
Old 10-20-2009, 06:04 PM   #20
Kaneman
AMA Supersport

Moto: 2000 Honda CBR1100XX Blackbird

Also, don't watch shitty movies like Watchmen. lol
1982 Honda XR80 - blown motor, 1993 Kawasaki ZX6D - sold, 2001 Suzuki Bandit 1200S - sold, 1984 Honda Magna - sold, 2001 Kawasaki ZRX1200R - blown motor, 2007 Suzuki DL1000 V-Strom - totalled, 2003 Yamaha FZ1 - sold, 1994 Honda Magna - sold, 2001 Honda CBR600F4i - sold, 1998 Suzuki DR350 - stolen, 1989 Honda Super Magna - sold, 2007 Yamaha Stratoliner, 2000 Honda CBR 1100XX Blackbird
Kaneman is offline   Reply With Quote