Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 05-14-2009, 04:15 PM   #1
G-Rex
Where to next?

Moto: TL1000R, Hayabusa, R1150RT
Default Tired of reading online news..

I am referring specifically to *news* articles online from reputable sources, not posts that are found in online forums such as this one.

AOL News, MSNBC, and CNN are a small sampling of the sites where I have read articles recently with poor grammar, poor spelling, and a lack of proofreading. I am getting tired of it!

I don't care if you are unable to spell your way out of a paper bag on the forums. It is unacceptable for someone to claim they are a *journalist* and then spit out the kind of crap I've been reading recently.

The proper use of her, she, their, and there should be common sense by the time you are writing for print in one format or another. Proofreading is apparently a lost art as well.

I try to read enough current news to consider myself well informed on what is going on in the world. It is a pain when I read a news article that looks like a 10 year old wrote it.

/rant off
Old 05-14-2009, 04:18 PM   #2
Homeslice
Elitist

Moto: Gix 750

With the decline in the newspaper industry, it's only going to get worse. At least at newspapers they have real editors.
Homeslice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 04:19 PM   #3
azoomm
moderator chick

Moto: Pasta Rockets

I know what you mean.

I sent an article to a friend, it had SRSLY typed at the end of the page. And, it wasn't about l33t or text speak... it was used for emphasis.

Come Play at the Track!!

http://www.elitetrackdays.com
azoomm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 04:19 PM   #4
Particle Man
Custom User Title

Moto: 2003 SV650S

I've noticed as well but attempted to tune them out... I'm seeing that more and more sites are allowing "amature" reporters (ie the general public) submitting articles with little or no editing.

Handle every stressful situation like a DOG: If you can't eat it or hump it, pi$$ on it & walk away.
Particle Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 05:30 PM   #5
shmike
Follower

Call me conceited but I read one’s text and instantly form an opinion of the writer.

On forums, misspelling and errors will happen. However, if you consistently write with little or no punctuation or structure, can’t spell the simplest of words and are too busy to use the SHIFT key, I can only assume it is due to a limited mental capacity or learning deficiency.

If you are a “professional” writer, the bar gets raised.

You may make a strong argument or publish the cure to cancer but if you can’t use the proper form of their, they’re, there, I won’t read it or will pay no more attention than that given to the ramblings of a blathering idiot.

werd.
shmike is offline   Reply With Quote