Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 05-06-2009, 04:59 PM   #1
Particle Man
Custom User Title

Moto: 2003 SV650S
Default PSP 3001 vs 1001

Given that I'm occasionally a sucker for "upgrades" on video game systems, I decided to go out and get the PSP 3001. I've had my 1001 series for a few years now (since around the time that it came out) and I really like it, however, given the hype I've read about the 3001 series having new graphics features (like a screen capable of more colors with less glare), I finally just decided to get one.

First impressions:
  • The 3001, like the 2001, is lighter and slimmer than the 1001. The mechanically operated UMD door was replaced with a thinner manually operated door. Also, they made the silver ring around the PSP logo smaller and removed the brushed aluminum finish... I liked the UMD tray/door combo on the original 1001 better (including the wider brushed aluminum ring around the PSP logo), but oh well...
  • The 3001 (also like the 2001) has a very glossy finish... I like the more matte finish of the 1001 since it feels better in my hands and the 1001 is less of a fingerprint magnet.
  • The 3001 doesn't have the sharp ridges on the bottom that are on the 1001 - definite improvement as it's easier to handle while playing
  • Controls - some of the buttons on the 3001 are smaller than the buttons on the 1001 (function buttons like the music and video buttons). I could care less about those. The game controls are the same. The WAN button was moved from the left side on the 1001 to the top on the 3001.
  • Weight - the 3001 weights considerably less than the 1001. I rather liked the hefty feel of the 1001...
  • IR port - the 1001 had an IR sensor on top - the 3001 doesn't have this. I've never actually used it so that's no loss.
  • Speakers - moved from the bottom on the 1001 to the front/top on the 3001. If using external sound, that comes in handy.
  • Screen quality - the 3001 has the 1001 beat hands down. It has more vibrant colors and the image is sharper. There were reports of screen artifacts, however, I played Final Fantasy: Crisis Core on it for about 3 hours and haven't experienced anything like this.

Conclusion - I will use the 3001 when I travel since it's lighter but I still like the feel of the 1001 for use around the house. I will use the 3001 on my LCD projector since it has the ability to hook up to a regular RCA-type input.

If you already have the 1001 or the 2001 and want better graphics, go with the 3001, however, if that gain isn't as important to you, stick with the older ones.

Handle every stressful situation like a DOG: If you can't eat it or hump it, pi$$ on it & walk away.
Particle Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 05:05 PM   #2
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

I have a 2001 and considered upgrading to the 3001 mostly for the built in microphone for chatting and Skype calls. I ended up not doing it because there aren't any other major differences... I will on the other hand stand in line for the 4001 (or whatever they call it) if it ever comes out!
Amber Lamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 05:14 PM   #3
Particle Man
Custom User Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by TIGGER View Post
I have a 2001 and considered upgrading to the 3001 mostly for the built in microphone for chatting and Skype calls. I ended up not doing it because there aren't any other major differences... I will on the other hand stand in line for the 4001 (or whatever they call it) if it ever comes out!
yeah, I was gonna add something later after I had the chance to use it. I do have to give SCEA credit: they did improve the screen significantly.

Handle every stressful situation like a DOG: If you can't eat it or hump it, pi$$ on it & walk away.
Old 05-06-2009, 05:37 PM   #4
Dave
Chaotic Neutral

Moto: GV1200 Madura, Hawk gt

i also considered jumping to the 3000 series but with rumours about this winter for 4000/2 im gonna wait it out. i am however considering doing some mods to my old 1001. been eyeing up some aftermarket clear shells and led setups. ive also heard some people have been doing some kind of wire mod to link the usb port to the battery so you can do usb charging like the 2000-on models.

some sick mods on youtube.

[youtube]jQXfWb8N0DY[/youtube]
TWF Post whore #6
Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 10:34 PM   #5
Particle Man
Custom User Title

so I decided to buy a game using the unit... downloading...

talk about

S

L

O

W

Oy

Old 05-07-2009, 10:17 AM   #6
Dave
Chaotic Neutral

how fast is your home connection? its never been too bad on ours (fios) wild arms has been owning my life lately. they really need to offer up some new ps1 classics soon
TWF Post whore #6
Old 05-07-2009, 10:33 AM   #7
Particle Man
Custom User Title

I'm running Windstream DSL - it's usually pretty fast for other stuff... just took an hour to download a game last night.

oh well.

Old 05-07-2009, 11:13 AM   #8
Dave
Chaotic Neutral

particle, do you have a ps3? You can grab games for the psp with that and transfer later to the psp. They also have a pc client from the psstore website that will act as a file manager for the psp.
Old 05-07-2009, 11:36 AM   #9
Particle Man
Custom User Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
particle, do you have a ps3? You can grab games for the psp with that and transfer later to the psp. They also have a pc client from the psstore website that will act as a file manager for the psp.
no PS3 here yet

Old 05-07-2009, 12:33 PM   #10
Adeptus_Minor
Hopster

Moto: 2009 Buell 1125R

I've been thinking about picking up a PSP 3001, but hadn't committed to the investment yet... especially since I got back into WoW.
Your review kinda makes me want one again, though.