Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 02-10-2009, 04:41 PM   #11
Apoc
For Science. You Monster.

Moto: '08 HD FLSTSB

ive been a shift worker for ever now, cant say i like it, but I make great money.

But, its hard as hell on the body and impossible to have a normal life switching shifts every few days. We do 3 days, 3 days off, 3 nights, 3 days off, 3 days, 3 days off, etc etc. Plus i work a ton of overtime. My clock is completely fucked.
Apoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 05:35 PM   #12
Sixxxxer
Like Gixxxxer But Not

Moto: 2008 ZX6R

What more reason do they need your first post is reason enough...Its a Shitty shift. And your willing to work it they SHOULD Pay you more without having to ask why you think you need it.

Sleep is FUCKED...and when you need to get shit done during the day its harder b/c your trying to rest and you have to stay up and overwork yourself...I do it all the time at work, My sleep schedule is JACKED.
Old 02-10-2009, 06:27 PM   #13
rogue
Wanting to Go Back!!!!

Moto: A Twin

In my field, the overnight shift isn't nearly as busy as any other shift. For the most part, we're dead shortly after midnight. We have nothing productive to do either.

We're required by UL to have 2 licensed operators in the system at all times. In order for us to have breaks and lunches, we need at least three people in the system during shift. However as busy as we are at night, two people can handle the signal flow effectively and still be bored (been there: done that when we're shorthanded).

If I look at it as from a productive side, our shift doesn't handle enough signals to compensate for extra pay. Nor is there much extra work we could do to compensate for a pay increase either. And trust me, I've tried finding stuff for my shift to do. There's not much we can do within the scope of our abilities with it being at nighttime. I can understand somewhat why they don't feel the need to give us shift pay from productivity angle.

I don't bitch much about the pay as there are other benefits. I don't pay for health insurance, which our insurance looks pretty good on paper. $20 copay, $10 or less on meds. I haven't used it yet though. When my mom was so sick last year and I missed alot of work due to that and her death, they gave me extra days on my check to make up some of my lost time aside from the standard one day I was given for a death in the family. They've been good to me in other ways too.

However, better pay would be most awesome. I'd want to stay on this shift instead of considering asking to be placed on another shift as I am now.

My knee pads may be Air-Ride and chrome plated but I have standards as to who I use them on.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonpaco
so you're just a cougar who doesnt hunt.....a domesticated cougar
Myspace
rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 06:42 PM   #14
Flexin
AMA Supersport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue View Post
In my field, the overnight shift isn't nearly as busy as any other shift. For the most part, we're dead shortly after midnight. We have nothing productive to do either.

We're required by UL to have 2 licensed operators in the system at all times. In order for us to have breaks and lunches, we need at least three people in the system during shift. However as busy as we are at night, two people can handle the signal flow effectively and still be bored (been there: done that when we're shorthanded).

If I look at it as from a productive side, our shift doesn't handle enough signals to compensate for extra pay. Nor is there much extra work we could do to compensate for a pay increase either. And trust me, I've tried finding stuff for my shift to do. There's not much we can do within the scope of our abilities with it being at nighttime. I can understand somewhat why they don't feel the need to give us shift pay from productivity angle.

I don't bitch much about the pay as there are other benefits. I don't pay for health insurance, which our insurance looks pretty good on paper. $20 copay, $10 or less on meds. I haven't used it yet though. When my mom was so sick last year and I missed alot of work due to that and her death, they gave me extra days on my check to make up some of my lost time aside from the standard one day I was given for a death in the family. They've been good to me in other ways too.

However, better pay would be most awesome. I'd want to stay on this shift instead of considering asking to be placed on another shift as I am now.
If your company is providing 24 hour monitoring then they need the night shift no matter how productive it is. Without you and your co workers they can't provide the service they are selling.

James
"Round two, I'm down to Do, what it takes to make you
Understand I'm the Candyman And I melt in your mouth, not in your hands Hard as rock, yes I'm no sucka The boots I knock make me one bad mutha"
Flexin is offline   Reply With Quote