Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 01-19-2009, 02:37 PM   #11
Corey
AMA Supersport

Moto: Not a damn thing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip View Post
AT&T and Apple are getting sued about their 3G claims, btw. Apparently so many people bought iphones that it is causing serious 3G outages where people are having to use EDGE instead.
When I had my Shine, I was on 3G maybe half the time if I was lucky. What was worse, and this is something that I've heard to be a problem for a lot of Shine phones, when the phone swaps between 3G and EDGE in a phone call, it sends out a godawful loud screech that you can't hear, but the person you're talking to hears loud and clear. If your phone can't hold 3G for a decent amount of time, you're looking at 4 or 5 annoying screeches that your friends, family, coworkers, and other people get to hear everytime they talk to the person using the Shine.

"Your game is shit, your company is shit. Activision ruined you! Activision ruined you." - Francis
Corey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 07:37 PM   #12
Amorok
Issukangitok

Moto: '06 Suzuki Boulevard C50T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corey View Post
If you don't mind me askin, what are you looking for in a phone? Are you just browsing the LG line because they're on sale or are you looking at everything? LG makes some nice phones, don't get me wrong, just wondering if you're open to other options. Being a Blackberry zealot, I'd be remiss if I didn't recommend the Pearl, Curve, or Bold to you. Since you've mentioned size being a negative against the iPhone, then the Pearl may be more in line with your tastes. The one hit against it and the Curve are the lack of 3G, though the internet speed on my Curve and Pearl were on par with my Shine, due mainly to the sucktasticly spotty 3G reception around here.
I'm looking for a couple of things. Right now I have a Motorola SLVR l7. I like it and wish I could just get an upgraded model of it, but nobody carries them anymore. I don't really need a smart phone, I already have a Palm lifedrive and my cell phone end up being an antenna more often than not. Pretty much what I want is a phone that has most of the following features:

Small, without a keyboard. I fucking hate thumb typing, it's retarded and retards do it. The keyboards make the phones big and that gets on my nerves. I have a Lifedrive, I can type SMS on it and BT it to the phone with what I have now. I don't text on my phone.

Mini-USB charger and data. Why do phones have proprietary connections? Stop trying to fuck the consumer into buying extra bullshit and sell something easy to use. I have a blue million charge points for a mini-USB jack, and none for a shitty, proprietary charge/data port.

It has to play music and support stereo BT streaming, as well as the A2DP profile. Sometimes I have to use my phone as a music player. It doesn't go on the treadmill with me, I need my BT headphones to work.

MicroSD. I have a fuck-ton of these things, and I'm not buying some other retarded format. Give up already, Sony, SD is the future. Kind of like Blu-Ray isn't.

internet. I'd like to be able to find out what movie is playing at what time on a screen I can read. That would be nice.

So what phone do you recommend for an ATT customer that will give me internet, multimedia, Bluetooth 2.0, and is about the size of my SLVR?
Old 01-19-2009, 08:07 PM   #13
Corey
AMA Supersport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amorok View Post
I'm looking for a couple of things. Right now I have a Motorola SLVR l7. I like it and wish I could just get an upgraded model of it, but nobody carries them anymore. I don't really need a smart phone, I already have a Palm lifedrive and my cell phone end up being an antenna more often than not. Pretty much what I want is a phone that has most of the following features:

Small, without a keyboard. I fucking hate thumb typing, it's retarded and retards do it. The keyboards make the phones big and that gets on my nerves. I have a Lifedrive, I can type SMS on it and BT it to the phone with what I have now. I don't text on my phone.

Mini-USB charger and data. Why do phones have proprietary connections? Stop trying to fuck the consumer into buying extra bullshit and sell something easy to use. I have a blue million charge points for a mini-USB jack, and none for a shitty, proprietary charge/data port.

It has to play music and support stereo BT streaming, as well as the A2DP profile. Sometimes I have to use my phone as a music player. It doesn't go on the treadmill with me, I need my BT headphones to work.

MicroSD. I have a fuck-ton of these things, and I'm not buying some other retarded format. Give up already, Sony, SD is the future. Kind of like Blu-Ray isn't.

internet. I'd like to be able to find out what movie is playing at what time on a screen I can read. That would be nice.

So what phone do you recommend for an ATT customer that will give me internet, multimedia, Bluetooth 2.0, and is about the size of my SLVR?
Honestly, from that criteria, I stand by my recommendation for the Pearl. It's a pretty small phone, a little thicker than your RZR, but thinner in width. It's got a slightly modified keyboard that is something of a cross between a full qwerty keyboard and a regular phone pad that enables one finger typing that's fairly accurate. It supports A2DP and AVRCP bluetooth protocols, accepts microSD cards, and charges with a mini USB port. You can use the built in Blackberry browser (which is meh, but better than most generic ass browsers on standard phones) or install Opera Mini, which is a much nicer solution. Plus, the battery life on the Pearl (and Curve too) is a fucking powerhouse that holds a charge for two to three days with moderate use before needing a charge.

Excuse the watermark in the picture, but here's a size comparison for you. The Pearl is right next to the RAZR. It's a little taller, a little narrower, and a little thicker than the RAZR.

"Your game is shit, your company is shit. Activision ruined you! Activision ruined you." - Francis
Old 01-19-2009, 08:39 PM   #14
Amorok
Issukangitok

Moto: '06 Suzuki Boulevard C50T

I don't have a RAZR, I have a SLVR, which is a little smaller. I'll think about the Pearl, I've heard it was good but it does a lot of shit I don't need it to do. Plus, I don't really want to drop that much coin on it.
Old 01-19-2009, 08:41 PM   #15
rogue
Wanting to Go Back!!!!

Moto: A Twin

Quote:
I don't have a RAZR, I have a SLVR, which is a little smaller. I'll think about the Pearl, I've heard it was good but it does a lot of shit I don't need it to do. Plus, I don't really want to drop that much coin on it.
You just THINK it's got shit you don't need it to do.

My knee pads may be Air-Ride and chrome plated but I have standards as to who I use them on.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonpaco
so you're just a cougar who doesnt hunt.....a domesticated cougar
Myspace
rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 08:46 PM   #16
Trip
Hold mah beer!

Moto: 08 R1200GS

Quote:
well just go get a free one that's small, you don't really want a smartphone or a phone capable of much of anything so just go grab one of the small ones that are free.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigger
Whatever,Stoner is a bitch! O.J. Simpson has TWO fucked knees and a severe hang nail on his left index finger but he still managed to kill two younger adults,sprint 200 feet to his car (wearing very expensive,yet uncomfortable Italian shoes) and make his get a way!!!
Trip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 08:52 PM   #17
Corey
AMA Supersport

Quote:
Sorry, brain got rewired on that one.

The Pearl was my first Blackberry. I didn't even want it. My mom got it first because her friends all got one. Problem is, she's a complete spastic retard when it comes to anything technology related. At the time I had the LG Shine and it wasn't a bad phone, except for the previously mentioned high pitched screeching noise people complained about as well as a miserable battery life. But my mom asked to swap out phones, which I was happy to do instead of being the one having to troubleshoot obvious shit. So I ended up with a phone I couldn't care less about and that I would have happily traded for a Motorola Q or a Samsung Blackjack at the time. At first I just used it to make calls and text, nothing more. Then I set up all my email to push to the phone. Then I got absorbed by finding themes for my phone. Then I played around with the internet stuff. Then I found apps. And then I was addicted to my phone. Now I've got the Pearl, which my mother wants back after seeing what it can do, a Curve which served me well when I wanted a full QWERTY keyboard, and my Storm, which is as indispensable as my Curve was.

Old 01-19-2009, 08:54 PM   #18
Trip
Hold mah beer!

Moto: 08 R1200GS

I am still surprised at how small the storm is, it's not much wider/longer than my razr v3 and its thinner.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigger
Whatever,Stoner is a bitch! O.J. Simpson has TWO fucked knees and a severe hang nail on his left index finger but he still managed to kill two younger adults,sprint 200 feet to his car (wearing very expensive,yet uncomfortable Italian shoes) and make his get a way!!!
Trip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 08:58 PM   #19
Corey
AMA Supersport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip View Post
I am still surprised at how small the storm is, it's not much wider/longer than my razr v3 and its thinner.
It has a good weight to it. I know people like to get the lightest possible fucking phone they can find, but fuck all that noise. Give me a phone that has a feeling of substance to it. Give me a phone that feels like it's not made of recycled Duplo blocks and dental floss. This thing feels like it means business. Sure it'll probably shatter into a million pieces if I dropped it, but it's got a good sturdy feel to it.