Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 11-25-2008, 08:09 PM   #31
Mr Lefty
TWFix Legend

Moto: 01 BMW F650GS Dakar

Tricare doesn't cover Lasik... so the ONE TIME elective surgery is not applicable here (to be honest I've never heard of it either)

HOWEVER!

Being Tricare Prime Remote, you are authorized to have it done at no cost to you at a military treatment facility... closest to you would be Lackland. You'd have to have the permission of your unit... (usually pretty easy to get) and you can even get your unit to pay you to go... ie per diem and travel.

I'd be seriously suprised if they denied your request.
Mr Lefty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 08:16 PM   #32
Archren
Sham WOW

Moto: 2007 Ducati 1098

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebbs15 View Post
Tricare doesn't cover Lasik... so the ONE TIME elective surgery is not applicable here (to be honest I've never heard of it either)

HOWEVER!

Being Tricare Prime Remote, you are authorized to have it done at no cost to you at a military treatment facility... closest to you would be Lackland. You'd have to have the permission of your unit... (usually pretty easy to get) and you can even get your unit to pay you to go... ie per diem and travel.

I'd be seriously suprised if they denied your request.
Lackland or Fort Hood? I think the MTF I'm registered at is Hood.. and even if I were to go to San Antonio, they'd probably send me to BAMC before Lackland, but I don't know which facility has Lasik available anyway.

I'll talk to my boss when I'm back at work next week and find out. Thanks for the info!

"The Vincent was like a bullet that went straight; the Ducati is like the magic bullet that went sideways and hit JFK and the Governor of Texas at the same time. It was impossible."
- Hunter S. Thompson, Song of the Sausage Creature

"Be who you are and say what you feel
because those who mind don't matter
and those who matter don't mind."
-Dr. Seuss
Archren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 08:22 PM   #33
Mr Lefty
TWFix Legend

Moto: 01 BMW F650GS Dakar

well Lackland does Lasik... I can't see Hood having lasik also... they usually spread them out...

shit in the AF... only Travis, the Air Force Academy, Lackland, Keesler, and Langley do it... that I know of...(not an expert my any means)

and even Madagan in Washington doesn't do it.

I'm not sure where BAMC is... but Lackland does A LOT of Lasik cases... and just so you know... it's YOUR choice... their choice if they're pay'n... but if your gonna just pay yourself... you can check either... see who can get you in sooner.

be aware you need to go through a process and there is a waiting list. if you started it now it could be Jan or Feb before you get it done easy.

hope that helps
Mr Lefty is offline   Reply With Quote