Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 06-19-2009, 12:16 PM   #1
Kaneman
AMA Supersport

Moto: 2000 Honda CBR1100XX Blackbird
Default Hey, home audio experts...frequency question

I picked up some nice Boston Acoustic speakers on clearance for super cheap the other day and they sound great. I'm wanting to fine tune my audio system to maximize performance and my question is about frequency.

The speakers have a frequency range of 46Hz to 25Khz

My receiver has a setting for the front bass from 99Hz to 1Khz
Mids from 1khz to 198hz to 10 khz
and treble from 1khz to 10 khz

Any idea where the ideal settings would be on these or does it even really matter?
________
XANAX REHAB FORUM

Last edited by Kaneman; 05-09-2011 at 08:01 PM..
Kaneman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 12:36 PM   #2
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaneman View Post
I picked up some nice Boston Acoustic speakers on clearance for super cheap the other day and they sound great. I'm wanting to fine tune my audio system to maximize performance and my question is about frequency.

The speakers have a frequency range of 46Hz to 25Khz

My receiver has a setting for the front bass from 99Hz to 1Khz
Mids from 1khz to 198hz to 10 khz
and treble from 1khz to 10 khz

Any idea where the ideal settings would be on these or does it even really matter?
These settings are to maximize your speakers depending on whether you have two way or three way speakers. Also, is your receiver a "surround sound" unit? Some of these settings may be to accommodate different sized speakers in your surround sound system as well. Also, do your speakers have the ability to separate mids and highs from the lows? If you feel like posting pics of the back of your receiver and your speakers I can tell you exactly how to wire them and the receiver, if you'd like.

Btw I also have Boston Acoustic speakers that I've had for almost 15 years and they still rock!!!
Amber Lamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 12:37 PM   #3
askmrjesus
Soul Man

Moto: '0000 Custom Turbo Cross (with jet kit).

Your settings will depend on the room, how what you're listening to was mixed, and how YOU like it.

JC
Old 06-19-2009, 12:41 PM   #4
Kaneman
AMA Supersport

Moto: 2000 Honda CBR1100XX Blackbird

The receiver is a Sony 6.1 with seperate settings for speaker size. I have them set to large for now for left right and center.

The speakers do have seperate woofers and tweeters with a crossover and passive radiator....so if I'm reading it right everything should be seperated.
________
Massage

Last edited by Kaneman; 05-09-2011 at 08:02 PM..
Kaneman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 01:09 PM   #5
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaneman View Post
The receiver is a Sony 6.1 with seperate settings for speaker size. I have them set to large for now for left right and center.

The speakers do have seperate woofers and tweeters with a crossover and passive radiator....so if I'm reading it right everything should be seperated.
Well, maybe Avatard might be a better choice for advice but do the speakers have separate inputs for different frequencies? I agree with AMJ that the settings are mostly dependent on your taste, room size, etc and there aren't necessarily perfect settings. Imho speaker placement is key in surround sound and then you set the spl levels and delay times. Some of the Sonys come with a small microphone that you place at the optimum listening position (where YOU sit, haha!) and the unit runs several sound tests to optimize the levels at that spot. If you don't have that and are really serious, you can get a sound pressure level (spl) meter and run through the test program manually to equalize the volume of each speaker at your location. As far as delay goes, you just do the math. I can't remember but 1 ms = 1 foot or something, it's been a while, sorry.

Anyway, here's an example of what I mean about the speakers.

If you don't have separate inputs, it's pointless to worry about separating the mids and highs from the lows. Btw do you have a powered sub woofer? If you do not, put the computer down and go directly to the closest audio store!
Amber Lamps is offline   Reply With Quote