Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 04-11-2009, 05:24 AM   #1
Quick281
Victim of Blazer Rapage

Moto: 06 GSXR 600
Default TWFix ER, need thoughts.

Alright, we seem to have our share of medical people around here so I am going to post this up here before walking into a hospital.

Last Sunday I was out in the desert riding quads with my buddy. We end up finding a fun little jump and eventually I biff it.

Couldn't have been going more than 20 mph when I hit the ground nor do I think I went very high but here is whats going on.

The quad went right and I went left which basically slammed me into the ground, sand mostly but hard ground under that. I had a helmet on (which saved me a nasty concussion) and some long sleeve clothes.

Beyond some rash on my arm and back I landed pretty hard on my left hip area on my back. I was all sorts of tingly for a while but all my limbs are functioning and I went on with my road trip walking around like an old man. About about 5 days I feel the pain is about the same, maybe less and I do feel that the swelling has gone down some. My mobility is fine but I do feel like I have a golf ball stuck in my left lower back.

The part that is weirding me out is that I am now getting some yellowish bruising on two spots on my lower back which I did not land on at all. I rarely bruise and for it to show up this late in the game has me worried. I tried to take a good pic but thats hard to do on my own. Please forgive the unsightly end of me. The bruises don't show up that well but there is some light scattered bruising around the area where I landed. I just don't understand why these other two areas are bruising up.

I know this is an odd post but I figured I would try and take advantage of the forums before walking in somewhere and forking over money I don't have right now. I do have health insurance though.

I am off to bed and I will see how I feel again in the morning.

My 06 GSXR 600 <-- Its Clickable Fools.
Quick281 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 05:39 AM   #2
Gas Man
Trip's Assistant

Moto: 2009 HD Street Classic

You have the way to answer you're own question...

You have health insurance... go to the F'in docs.

My father was paralyzed 10hrs after walking into the hospital on his own power. Could he have prevented it? Who knows... but do you really want to chance things like this?

Your life...

"Why pay somebody else to fuck up your bike?"
Run Amsoil Product
Gas Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 05:55 AM   #3
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gas Man View Post
You have the way to answer you're own question...

You have health insurance... go to the F'in docs.

My father was paralyzed 10hrs after walking into the hospital on his own power. Could he have prevented it? Who knows... but do you really want to chance things like this?

Your life...

Yea I'm not trying to frighten you but a buddy of mine crashed and got up,refused medical and we were at his funeral 2 weeks later,true story. Shit,go to the hospital and tell them you're an illegal alien. They'll fix you gratis no problemo!
Amber Lamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 06:36 AM   #4
cbrchick
Canyon Carver

Moto: Honda CBR 600, Yamaha Zuma 50, Suzuki SV1000

Do you have a family doctor?

I wouldn't say you need x rays at this point, but perhaps a urine test might be a good idea. If you've wacked your back pretty good, you wanna make sure you haven't caused some internal damage - say to your liver or kidneys (bleeding). Basically, if you go see a Dr., they can physically assess you to see if something more diagnostic is needed.

From the picture all I can gather is that you have old bruising to soft tissue/muscle that is fading. There was trauma to that area or that underlying. You prolly hit yourself there and didn't realize it.

Just go see a family Dr. You wont necessarily need a lot of tests.

Next time wear a spine protector. They're 100 bucks.
cbrchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 09:17 AM   #5
Apoc
For Science. You Monster.

Moto: '08 HD FLSTSB

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbrchick View Post

Next time wear a spine protector. They're 100 bucks.
Agreed. I got one for my snowmobile this winter, and it is the most useful equipment I have besides a helmet. Im considering a chest protector too, because we hammer on those poor toys pretty hard, and take a lot of impact when you dont land on them.
Apoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 11:06 AM   #6
t-homo
WSB Champion

I'm pretty sure he is somewhere between cali and alaska now, so the family doctor in Atlanta wont do much good. If you have health insurance, you should probably go in just to be sure. I say this with full knowledge that I wouldn't go in.
t-homo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 01:55 PM   #7
Quick281
Victim of Blazer Rapage

Moto: 06 GSXR 600

Yeah I am in Morgan Hill, Cali right now. I am probably packing up and heading to Oregon in the next day or two.

If I wanted to go in should I just walk into an ER or start calling some general doctors around here?

My 06 GSXR 600 <-- Its Clickable Fools.
Quick281 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 03:50 PM   #8
Ducati Diva
just learning

Moto: 1996 M900

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick281 View Post
Yeah I am in Morgan Hill, Cali right now. I am probably packing up and heading to Oregon in the next day or two.

If I wanted to go in should I just walk into an ER or start calling some general doctors around here?
They prob have a walk in clinic. here they're called urgent care. Not quite as expensive as an ER.
Old 04-11-2009, 04:11 PM   #9
Corey
AMA Supersport

Moto: Not a damn thing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducati Diva View Post
They prob have a walk in clinic. here they're called urgent care. Not quite as expensive as an ER.
This, though if they're like around here, the Urgent Care centers are closed on the weekends (lame). If they are, it's ER time.

"Your game is shit, your company is shit. Activision ruined you! Activision ruined you." - Francis
Corey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 04:24 PM   #10
marko138
DefenderOfTheBuelliverse

Moto: Buell XB12R

Get your ass to the doctor, post haste.

Quote:
Grandma said she doesn't want you here when she gets back because you've been ruining everybody's lives and eating all our steak.
marko138 is offline   Reply With Quote