Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > In the Garage or Shop > Mechanical or Tech

Old 11-17-2008, 07:13 PM   #1
TommyHotWheel
Imported from Detroit

Moto: 2001 Suzuki TL1000R
Default Weatherproof connectors

Anyone have any tips how to make good re-useable weatherproof connectors? I am looking to upgrade the wiring on my TL and I want to run a good connector instead of cutting and soldering everytime I change out something, like lights. I have a kit of Caspers Weatherpack in mind, the kind used on most OEM cars and trucks, but am open to ideas. Thanks.

Cry Havok! And let slip the hogs of war!
TommyHotWheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 07:19 PM   #2
Mr Lefty
TWFix Legend

Moto: 01 BMW F650GS Dakar

a friend of mine had some that he got at AIH (Alaska Industrial Hardware) wished I'd seen what they were called... cool little things though... basicly you strip the wire... strip it... plug it in and it grabs the wire and secures it tight. do the same for the other end... you had to really YANK on the wire to get it out... but you could use the connector over and over again... 100% waterproof too... I'll see if I can find a pic when I get home... don't think I have one... but maybe I can get ahold of him.
Mr Lefty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 07:33 PM   #3
Trip
Hold mah beer!

Moto: 08 R1200GS

you can get some at pepboys. Totally buildable where you can buy each individual piece, if you know how to crimp the connections that is. It's costly, but anything weatherproof is going to be costly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigger
Whatever,Stoner is a bitch! O.J. Simpson has TWO fucked knees and a severe hang nail on his left index finger but he still managed to kill two younger adults,sprint 200 feet to his car (wearing very expensive,yet uncomfortable Italian shoes) and make his get a way!!!
Trip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 07:35 PM   #4
HRCNICK11
Canyon Carver

Any good connector and some dielectric grease. I used to use a lot of dielectric grease on my RC51, it solved a ton of electrical gremlins in that bike.
HRCNICK11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 07:47 PM   #5
TommyHotWheel
Imported from Detroit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip View Post
you can get some at pepboys. Totally buildable where you can buy each individual piece, if you know how to crimp the connections that is. It's costly, but anything weatherproof is going to be costly.
I found a few 240+ piece kits for around $80 that I could do my entire bike with. I dont really want to slather a bunch of grease on my bike, it seems like a band-aid to me. Ebbs, if you find what they are post up...I'll check them out. Thanks guys.

Old 11-17-2008, 08:49 PM   #6
Gas Man
Trip's Assistant

Moto: 2009 HD Street Classic

Try calling WirePlus in Florida. They do allot of stuff like this. They may eb able to have a harness or at least point you in a decent direction.

Further, you can always take any decent plug and shrink wrap the connections. I have done this on my bike and many many other big dogs. Added security for waterproofing.

"Why pay somebody else to fuck up your bike?"
Run Amsoil Product
Gas Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 09:01 PM   #7
azoomm
moderator chick

Moto: Pasta Rockets

Weatherproof, you mean like... Can handle a bit of water like product? You know, my best luck in that department has been in a West Marine or similar boat shop.

Come Play at the Track!!

http://www.elitetrackdays.com
azoomm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 10:08 PM   #8
HRCNICK11
Canyon Carver

For the record you don't need much grease its kind of like a coat of wax on a car. It displaces the moisture so it does not want to be in the plug.

Also under normal conditions water is not a problem to electronics with out some thing like salt or sugar in the water. The water can aid in the corrosion process and tat will cause problems.

Also how is shrink wrap water proof?

The water will get into most plugs and thats why they make dielectric grease. You don't slather it on you put a small dab in the contact area.
HRCNICK11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 10:35 PM   #9
Mr Lefty
TWFix Legend

Moto: 01 BMW F650GS Dakar

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRCNICK11 View Post
For the record you don't need much grease its kind of like a coat of wax on a car. It displaces the moisture so it does not want to be in the plug.

Also under normal conditions water is not a problem to electronics with out some thing like salt or sugar in the water. The water can aid in the corrosion process and tat will cause problems.

Also how is shrink wrap water proof?

The water will get into most plugs and thats why they make dielectric grease. You don't slather it on you put a small dab in the contact area.
as long as your using the correct size for the guage wire your using it should seal around the wire... just as water proof as the shielding on the wire itself.
Mr Lefty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 11:42 PM   #10
TommyHotWheel
Imported from Detroit

The weatherpack is a rebuildable, re-useable and temperature resistant plug. Moira, the boat place I checked has the connectors I am looking at, but I really didnt think of that...shame on me, thank you for the help. The area that I am in is surrounded by salt water, so my electrical connections are succeptible to the salt air. I want a connection that I can plug and unplug so I can replace or work on parts often if needed. I was hoping to get away from the bullet connectors and shrink wrap and go with a little more professional...finished look. I should have posted more in the first post, but I am at work, so I dont have much time. Thanks everyone.

Last edited by TommyHotWheel; 11-17-2008 at 11:57 PM..