Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 05-13-2011, 03:46 PM   #1
OneSickPsycho
Ride Like an Asshole

Moto: nothing...
Default 2nd dog... thinking about pulling the trigger...

Question to you folks with multiple dogs... Is it less of a pain in the ass with the 2nd dog, as it was with the first one?

Taco is maturing nicely... calming down... listening better... not destroying as much stuff... all in all, being a real good boy... He's 11 months, about 90lbs, and doing great.

However...

We've been talking about getting another dog... adding a companion for Taco while we are at work and taking some of the play burdon off of us (cause he wears us out QUICK lol)...

Most who I've seen with two or more dogs say that they entertain eachother, but also cause more havoc as a group... more poop, more trips to go outside, double the destruction when they do get into something... Also figuring more money on food, vet bills, etc. Just curious about everyone's experience here...

Oh, and ONSSP found this: http://orlando.craigslist.org/pet/2379058660.html
Just like Taco...

So right after we finally get one dog somewhat out of the moron puppy phase, we are looking at another puppy!
OneSickPsycho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 03:48 PM   #2
dReWpY
RIP REX

Moto: 2008 1125R

i have two and it is easier to have two then one, but my only issue is i used to take pudge everywhere i go, now that i have two i just leave them at home alot more then i used to

Venom R1-016 Squadron
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip View Post
Moral of this story is everyone is fucked up no matter atheist or religious.
dReWpY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 03:55 PM   #3
OneSickPsycho
Ride Like an Asshole

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewpy View Post
i have two and it is easier to have two then one, but my only issue is i used to take pudge everywhere i go, now that i have two i just leave them at home alot more then i used to
That's another thing to consider... going on vacation, gotta board TWO dogs instead of one... And on weekend trips to visit family, Taco was welcomed with open arms... Two giant dogs though...
Old 05-13-2011, 04:01 PM   #4
Particle Man
Custom User Title

Moto: 2003 SV650S

I had 4-5 growing up. The upside: it gives them someone else to play with when you're not there. The downside: expensive (food, boarding when traveling, etc). If you're going to do it, do it while Taco is young so there's no "this is mine" going on...

Handle every stressful situation like a DOG: If you can't eat it or hump it, pi$$ on it & walk away.
Particle Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 04:06 PM   #5
the chi
Forum Coach

Moto: 2006 GSXR 600

Depends on the dog. My lil one was like not having a pet at all, she went everywhere with me and was no trouble at all. But she also thinks she's a person. Ask the guys who have met her.

Enter the big dog I wanted. She has great personality and means well, but she is a TON of work, trouble and often frustration. She's over a year old and still has boundless energy, to the point she goes outside and just runs back and forth carrying parts of trees around. Not sticks, we're talking limbs longer than she is and several inches thick. The good part about her is she actually eats them after playing with them (I dont mean chews them, she actually EATS them) as well as eats all the pine cones in the yard. She's large enough and so energetic she can't lay on the bed quietly, cant sit still for crap, if one of the cats runs by she wants to play with them, constantly nosing for attention, etc. In short, much as we love her and even as well behaved as she typically is, I wish we had NOT gotten another dog.

ETA: as far as traveling, it is difficult, as she isnt very portable. We like to take them on trips, like with the atv's but she's nervous of them, so we can't take her out with us like we do the lil one, we have to take her kennel everywhere because I dont trust her, when we visit my parents she has to stay outside while the lil one gets run of the house. It's really not fair to her either and that makes it difficult for me as I like to treat them equally.
and let it be known that what The Chi hath spoketh, will henceforth be done.

Last edited by the chi; 05-13-2011 at 04:10 PM..
the chi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 04:08 PM   #6
Kaneman
AMA Supersport

Moto: 2000 Honda CBR1100XX Blackbird

Two is easier than one, but three is a motherfucker.
1982 Honda XR80 - blown motor, 1993 Kawasaki ZX6D - sold, 2001 Suzuki Bandit 1200S - sold, 1984 Honda Magna - sold, 2001 Kawasaki ZRX1200R - blown motor, 2007 Suzuki DL1000 V-Strom - totalled, 2003 Yamaha FZ1 - sold, 1994 Honda Magna - sold, 2001 Honda CBR600F4i - sold, 1998 Suzuki DR350 - stolen, 1989 Honda Super Magna - sold, 2007 Yamaha Stratoliner, 2000 Honda CBR 1100XX Blackbird
Kaneman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 04:12 PM   #7
tallywacker
Virtual Machine

Moto: 2010 Ducati Hypermotard

Oh dog children. Thanks for letting only the stupid breed.
Old 05-13-2011, 04:15 PM   #8
OneSickPsycho
Ride Like an Asshole

Quote:
Originally Posted by Particle Man View Post
I had 4-5 growing up. The upside: it gives them someone else to play with when you're not there. The downside: expensive (food, boarding when traveling, etc). If you're going to do it, do it while Taco is young so there's no "this is mine" going on...
No worries there... he has no ownership of anything... nothing is his, it's only borrowed... even at the dog park, he's a big pussy. He gets dominated by smaller dogs (like 9lbs wiener dogs) and when we play he has to obey commands to get his toy back or even to initiate anything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the chi View Post
Depends on the dog. My lil one was like not having a pet at all, she went everywhere with me and was no trouble at all. But she also thinks she's a person. Ask the guys who have met her.

Enter the big dog I wanted. She has great personality and means well, but she is a TON of work, trouble and often frustration. She's over a year old and still has boundless energy, to the point she goes outside and just runs back and forth carrying parts of trees around. Not sticks, we're talking limbs longer than she is and several inches thick. The good part about her is she actually eats them after playing with them (I dont mean chews them, she actually EATS them) as well as eats all the pine cones in the yard. She's large enough and so energetic she can't lay on the bed quietly, cant sit still for crap, if one of the cats runs by she wants to play with them, constantly nosing for attention, etc. In short, much as we love her and even as well behaved as she typically is, I wish we had NOT gotten another dog.

ETA: as far as traveling, it is difficult, as she isnt very portable. We like to take them on trips, like with the atv's but she's nervous of them, so we can't take her out with us like we do the lil one, we have to take her kennel everywhere because I dont trust her, when we visit my parents she has to stay outside while the lil one gets run of the house. It's really not fair to her either and that makes it difficult for me as I like to treat them equally.

I'm pretty sure we know what to expect out of this other dog... should be similar to Taco... portability is a good point... he has the biggest fucking crate you can buy and it's a pain in the ass to lug around... probably going to have to get a 2nd one... though we have been working on de-crate training him... That could be interesting...
Old 05-13-2011, 04:22 PM   #9
the chi
Forum Coach

Moto: 2006 GSXR 600

Crate training IMO only is the absolute best thing ever. My lil one only needs hers when she is home alone (as in has a break down if she cant get to it) but the rest of the time she's loose. The big one I dont have hope for ever being able to be loose all the time. Everytime she's on a good streak, she does something utterly stupid, like eat the vacuum while daddy isn't watching. In less than 5 minutes. *sigh*

As far as being more work, I wouldnt think so, you'll just need more room for all the kennels. And pay a lil more for food. But if you're buying the good stuff, where you feed less, you'll find it's actually not really more expensive.
and let it be known that what The Chi hath spoketh, will henceforth be done.
the chi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 04:23 PM   #10
Particle Man
Custom User Title

Moto: 2003 SV650S

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneSickPsycho View Post
He gets dominated by smaller dogs (like 9lbs wiener dogs)...
A lot of small dogs do that to larger ones

Handle every stressful situation like a DOG: If you can't eat it or hump it, pi$$ on it & walk away.
Particle Man is offline   Reply With Quote