Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 04-08-2011, 07:45 AM   #1
Trip
Hold mah beer!

Moto: 08 R1200GS
Default No High Medical Marijuana

http://news.yahoo.com/s/theweek/2011...theweek/213884

Quote:
New York – Scientists believe they can isolate the pain-easing benefits of medical marijuana — so sufferers can consume it without becoming foggy and paranoid

What is marijuana without the high? Still a very effective painkiller. And now, scientists believe they can harness the drug's anaesthetic action while doing away with its psychedelic effects. In a new paper published in the journal Nature Chemical Biology, Professor Li Zhang and a team of scientists at the U.S. National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism report that THC can potentially be used as a side-effect-free painkiller. Is a new class of "non-psychotropic cannabinoids" on the way? Here's a brief guide:

What is this breakthrough exactly?
Zhang and his team discovered that tetrahydrocannabinol (more commonly known as THC), the main psychoactive ingredient in cannabis, produces different effects by bonding to different receptors in the brain. Scientists have known for years that THC bonds with a certain receptor to produce the classic disorienting marijuana high. But now researchers have identified precisely where THC targets the nervous system to lessen anxiety and dull pain. Hence, the potential to satisfy medical marijuana's desire for pure pain relief.

How'd they figure this out?
By experimenting on mice, naturally. Scientists blocked the pain-reducing receptors in the stoned rodents' brains, then subjected them to a "tail-flick test" — hitting mices' tails with "focused heat" — and counted how long it took for them to respond. The fact that the mice still felt pain, even when they were dosed with THC, "confirms that the drug's pain-relief and psychotropic effects can be decoupled," says Andy Coghlan at The New Scientist.

So... THC pain pills?
Quite possibly. "Soon," says Annalee Newitz at IO9, "people whose stomachs are too tender for aspirin or ibuprofin may be swallowing THC pills to get rid of headaches."

Could another result be THC pills that do nothing but get you high?
It's the question recreational users will be pondering: "Is there a way to create a synthetic form of THC that does nothing but get you high, without all those pesky 'medicinal' side-effects?" asks Newitz at IO9. Stay tuned.
So the big question is what some of you medical marijuana fans think of this? I think it's marvelous science and could get the the benefits of marijuana legal in all of the states if we no longer have the high associated with it.
Trip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 07:48 AM   #2
Mr Lefty
TWFix Legend

Moto: 01 BMW F650GS Dakar

personally I don't think it was bad to begin with... it's a fear or stereotype from ages ago...

it's like taking the alcohol out of wine so now we can drink it solely for the antioxidants...
Mr Lefty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 07:50 AM   #3
Trip
Hold mah beer!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Lefty View Post
personally I don't think it was bad to begin with... it's a fear or stereotype from ages ago...

it's like taking the alcohol out of wine so now we can drink it solely for the antioxidants...
I don't either, I think we should be allowed to use it recreationally, but that is unlikely to happen. However, if this removes the stigmata from it and actually gets it's benefits to market with no issue. It's worth it.
Old 04-08-2011, 08:06 AM   #4
derf
token jewboy

Moto: CBR 900, KLR ugly ass duckling, Gas Man

Does it also provide some of the medical benefits of munchies? Especially ti chemor patients that cant keep food down?

Overall its a step in the right direction but its not perfect, I'm afraid there are still too many people who are scared of the evil weed to let it get out there.

Recreational weed is also something that should be legalized, but thats a different disscussion
Old 04-08-2011, 08:08 AM   #5
Trip
Hold mah beer!

Quote:
Originally Posted by derf View Post
Does it also provide some of the medical benefits of munchies? Especially ti chemor patients that cant keep food down?
Don't know, doesn't look like they studied if the rats had a craving for Doritos or not. lol
Old 04-08-2011, 08:28 AM   #6
derf
token jewboy

Moto: CBR 900, KLR ugly ass duckling, Gas Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip View Post
Don't know, doesn't look like they studied if the rats had a craving for Doritos or not. lol
Then wtf good is med weed if it doesnt have the nasty side effects of laziness, munchies, short term memory loss, impared coordination, giggles, closed eye-edness, and an unquestionable navigation ability towards the local 7-11.

Really who cares, its never gonna be as good as the real thing because for 50% of the customers out there they get headaches so they can get a perscription to the med weed, the other 50% would tell you how much pain they are in, but are too busy suffering from real pain.
Old 04-08-2011, 08:55 AM   #7
askmrjesus
Soul Man

Moto: '0000 Custom Turbo Cross (with jet kit).

The real question is, Why do fucking mice get all the good shit?

Asshole mice.

JC
Old 04-08-2011, 08:56 AM   #8
Trip
Hold mah beer!

Quote:
Originally Posted by askmrjesus View Post
The real question is, Why do fucking mice get all the good shit?

Asshole mice.

JC
hahahahhahahahhaahhahha
Old 04-08-2011, 09:15 AM   #9
Homeslice
Elitist

Moto: Gix 750

Quote:
Originally Posted by derf View Post
because for 50% of the customers out there they get headaches so they can get a perscription to the med weed
Yep

I'd say this has the potential to become flat-out ownage.
Homeslice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 10:12 AM   #10
Kaneman
AMA Supersport

Moto: 2000 Honda CBR1100XX Blackbird

[QUOTE=Trip;462342]http://news.yahoo.com/s/theweek/2011...theweek/213884

So the big question is what some of you medical marijuana fans think of this? I think it's marvelous science and could get the the benefits of marijuana legal in all of the states if we no longer have the high associated with it.[/QUOTE

THC pill don't have cannabinoids, which are what fight cancer and tumors. They could be good for killing pain though I suppose.

I, of course, still think good ol' fashioned Cannabis is the way to go for Medicinal use.
1982 Honda XR80 - blown motor, 1993 Kawasaki ZX6D - sold, 2001 Suzuki Bandit 1200S - sold, 1984 Honda Magna - sold, 2001 Kawasaki ZRX1200R - blown motor, 2007 Suzuki DL1000 V-Strom - totalled, 2003 Yamaha FZ1 - sold, 1994 Honda Magna - sold, 2001 Honda CBR600F4i - sold, 1998 Suzuki DR350 - stolen, 1989 Honda Super Magna - sold, 2007 Yamaha Stratoliner, 2000 Honda CBR 1100XX Blackbird
Kaneman is offline   Reply With Quote