Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 04-06-2011, 04:12 PM   #1
asdgirl
Canyon Carver

Moto: 70cc Zuma
Default 1998 Mazda MPV Opinions

I'm looking to trade my current vehicle for a 98 MPV and was wondering if anyone here had any experience with one?

Looks clean, inside and out (engine included). New belts last week. 3.0 (biggest) engine.

Has an o2 sensor issue but so does my Grand Am and I'm not worried about it at the moment.

Just looking for opinions on the MPV overall as I don't know much about older Mazda's or MPV's in general.

Thank you!
asdgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 04:45 PM   #2
wildchild
cruiser

Moto: '09 HD superglide, 16 Yamaha FZ 09

I don't remember the specifics but I thought there were some issues with them that would be better left avoided.

that said my sister had one and loved it.
wildchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 04:58 PM   #3
asdgirl
Canyon Carver

I've heard that too in the 2000+ models. Haven't heard anything terrible about the mid-90's ones but that is what I'm looking for, LOL!

Thanks for the input
Old 04-06-2011, 05:20 PM   #4
pauldun170
Serious Business

Moto: 1993 ZX-11 2008 CBR1000rr

Is it AWD or RWD?
98 was the last year for the old RWD version. Back in the day they weren't cream of the crop or anything but they definitely were not horrid. It tow rating isn't bad (4500lbs) and the 3.0 V6 is under stressed. i can't recall any big issues with them (its an older Mazda designed motor used for years. There is a dohc version that MAY bolt in)

No matter how good they were back in in the 90's the fact is that its is now a 13 year old car. Dont pay too much and expect it to need a little work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
feed your dogs root beer it will make them grow large and then you can ride them and pet the motorcycle while drinking root beer
pauldun170 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 08:35 PM   #5
Particle Man
Custom User Title

Moto: 2003 SV650S

most of the issue with that generation of the MPV happened in the 90-94 models (misc transmission issues, random noises, etc). The only thing I know if in the later models (including the 98) was an issue with the timing belt (make sure it has been replaced after that many miles (I think you said 118k on FB); it should be replaced every 60k miles so it should be on it's 3rd belt with that amount of miles). One of my neighbors had one (a 98) and his went through timing belts like water; his also rusted out along the bottom but that's because of the freaking salt up here.

Handle every stressful situation like a DOG: If you can't eat it or hump it, pi$$ on it & walk away.

Last edited by Particle Man; 04-06-2011 at 08:38 PM.. Reason: Because I like the little "last edited by" thingy
Particle Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 11:32 AM   #6
tallywacker
Virtual Machine

Moto: 2010 Ducati Hypermotard

If it already has known problems, like that o2 sensor "he said" was bad, expect many more. Might not even be the sensor. I would advise against buying a vehicle so old as well, unless you can repair it yourself.
Old 04-07-2011, 01:16 PM   #7
pauldun170
Serious Business

O2 sensors isn't so much an "issue" since it really is a wear and tear item in a way. There are two of them (I think) on that year MPV, front and rear and should cost around 80 bucks a piece. It should not be difficult to change them out.
I think its a solid rear axle

How much are they asking and how many miles is on it?

fyi: http://www.mpvclub.com/index.php?sid...f43d8617726493

Quote:
feed your dogs root beer it will make them grow large and then you can ride them and pet the motorcycle while drinking root beer
Old 04-07-2011, 03:27 PM   #8
asdgirl
Canyon Carver

Thanks for the replies.

I am actually looking to trade my 98 Pontiac Grand Am for it straight up since I just need a vehicle big enough to haul around my 2 Danes. The Pontiac also has an o2 issue (which I knew when I bought from a friend of mine) with 193k miles on it.

She still drives the van every day withe o2 issue, just as I do the Grand Am.

She said she had the belts replaced on it last week and that one is squeaking. I told her she would have to get that squeak taken care of before I traded because I don't need a belt breaking on me.

Paulding: It has 118K miles on it and we are looking to trade outright. I paid $1000 for my Grand Am.

I don't have much choice in buying a car 'so old' because it is in my price range.

PS: I register my cars at my property address in a county that doesn't require emissions so for now, so passing emissions isn't a concern.
Old 04-07-2011, 05:00 PM   #9
pauldun170
Serious Business

Quote:
Originally Posted by asdgirl View Post
Thanks for the replies.

I am actually looking to trade my 98 Pontiac Grand Am for it straight up since I just need a vehicle big enough to haul around my 2 Danes. The Pontiac also has an o2 issue (which I knew when I bought from a friend of mine) with 193k miles on it.

She still drives the van every day withe o2 issue, just as I do the Grand Am.

She said she had the belts replaced on it last week and that one is squeaking. I told her she would have to get that squeak taken care of before I traded because I don't need a belt breaking on me.

Paulding: It has 118K miles on it and we are looking to trade outright. I paid $1000 for my Grand Am.

I don't have much choice in buying a car 'so old' because it is in my price range.

PS: I register my cars at my property address in a county that doesn't require emissions so for now, so passing emissions isn't a concern.
Good price for a running vehicle.
You'll want to change those O2 sensors unless you want to deal with really shitty gas mileage. Its easy to do

Quote:
Old 04-07-2011, 11:46 PM   #10
tallywacker
Virtual Machine

Moto: 2010 Ducati Hypermotard

Did the guy actually show you that the code was o2 sensor?