Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > News Desk

Old 03-27-2011, 07:35 AM   #1
tallywacker
Virtual Machine

Moto: 2010 Ducati Hypermotard
Default Demonstrators swarm central London to protest spending cuts

http://www.cnn.com/2011/WORLD/europe...ion/index.html

Quote:
London (CNN) -- Scattered violence broke out Saturday as tens of thousands of demonstrators marched through central London to protest proposed austerity measures and public-sector spending cuts.

Police arrested 214 people for criminal damage, public order offenses, aggravated trespass and violent disorder after several businesses were vandalized, police said.

Thirty-one police officers were hurt during the protests, with one being treated in the hospital, they added. Police said another 53 people were injured, at least 15 of which were taken to the hospital.

The Trades Union Congress (TUC), which organized the demonstration, said nearly half a million people were taking part, far exceeding their original estimate of 100,000 participants. London's Metropolitan Police would not give an estimate of the number of participants.

"Banker's greed or people's needs -- Cut bonuses not benefits" read one placard at the protest. "Strike together to bring down the government" read another.

The march was largely peaceful apart from isolated skirmishes between protesters and police, authorities said.

"The main TUC march has been going well. We have had more than a quarter of a million people with hardly any problems," Police Commander Bob Broadhurst said.

"Unfortunately we have had a group of approximately 500 criminals committing some disorder ... and scaring the public who are trying to shop. That has been concerning but we are on top of it."

He said some of the protesters threw paint at a clothing store on Oxford Street and at the police. Protesters also threw light bulbs filled with ammonia at officers after they intervened to stop paint and bottles being thrown at store windows, police said earlier.

Protesters also damaged branches of the HSBC and Santander banks and overturned trash cans. Protesters then made their way to Piccadilly Circus and the nearby Ritz Hotel, where they swarmed the famous entrance arcade.

They smashed a nearby Starbucks Coffee window and spray-painted anarchy symbols on the front. Police lined up at the sandwich shop next door to stop further damage.

Police also set up a so-called "containment" area Saturday night in Trafalgar Square, where police said officers were coming under "sustained attack." Protesters were later being allowed to leave the square in small groups.
Old 03-27-2011, 08:19 AM   #2
Particle Man
Custom User Title

Moto: 2003 SV650S

Their message would have been stronger if they hadn't destroyed property. Once they crosses that line they just became an angry mob.
Particle Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 09:23 AM   #3
Captain Morgan
Let's do another U-turn

Moto: 2009 V-Strom

Governments do need to get spending under control, but so do people. Problem is, too many people have come to rely on government aid, rather than getting an actual job and working for a living. Granted, government seems to cause all of that by putting tons of rules on businesses, making said businesses go elsewhere to set up shop. It's a never-ending cycle. Governments should only be there to keep order and set up infrastructure. MAYBE healthcare, but I don't trust the government to run that right now. People need to be responsible for themselves, stop feeling so entitled, and actually start earning what they need. We've all become a society of excess, and think we "need" things that we actually just "want."
Captain Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 10:39 AM   #4
Kaneman
AMA Supersport

Moto: 2000 Honda CBR1100XX Blackbird

Quote:
Originally Posted by Particle Man View Post
Their message would have been stronger if they hadn't destroyed property. Once they crosses that line they just became an angry mob.
That may be exactly what the opposing Government wants you to think...

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2011/03/2...lag-operation/

Quote:
An Indiana prosecutor and Republican activist has resigned after emails show he suggested Wisconsin Governor Scott Walker stage a fake attack on himself to discredit unions protesting his budget repair bill.

The Republican governor signed a bill on March 11 that eliminates most union rights for public employees.

In an email from February 19, Indiana deputy prosecutor Carlos F. Lam told Walker the situation presented "a good opportunity for what’s called a ‘false flag’ operation."
1982 Honda XR80 - blown motor, 1993 Kawasaki ZX6D - sold, 2001 Suzuki Bandit 1200S - sold, 1984 Honda Magna - sold, 2001 Kawasaki ZRX1200R - blown motor, 2007 Suzuki DL1000 V-Strom - totalled, 2003 Yamaha FZ1 - sold, 1994 Honda Magna - sold, 2001 Honda CBR600F4i - sold, 1998 Suzuki DR350 - stolen, 1989 Honda Super Magna - sold, 2007 Yamaha Stratoliner, 2000 Honda CBR 1100XX Blackbird
Kaneman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 12:34 PM   #5
nhgunnut
gun totin redneck

Moto: turbo busa 999 Duc Goldwing & Victory

This is the result of governments encouraging multiple generations of dependence. These poor slobs actually believe they are entitled to these handouts.
We are going to see a very similar events here in the states soon. Particularly as the inevitable failure of the Social Security Systems speeds up.
Anecdotally I have multiple able bodied individuals on my case loads collecting SSDI for things like dyslexia, ADHD and other very questionable reasons who are third and forth generations dependence on the system. In one case we have a parent coaching her children on what to say so her 17 year old can get on the system.
Of course you get between this type and their "entitlements" you get to see some violence.
Old 03-27-2011, 03:43 PM   #6
Particle Man
Custom User Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaneman View Post

It's what I think without any outside influence. I lose respect for people the second they start destroying something that belongs to someone else. What right do they have to violate someone ELSE's rights just to prove their point? That just screams hypocrisy.

Handle every stressful situation like a DOG: If you can't eat it or hump it, pi$$ on it & walk away.
Old 03-27-2011, 04:23 PM   #7
Captain Morgan
Let's do another U-turn

Moto: 2009 V-Strom

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Particle Man View Post
It's what I think without any outside influence. I lose respect for people the second they start destroying something that belongs to someone else. What right do they have to violate someone ELSE's rights just to prove their point? That just screams hypocrisy.
I think he's claiming these people were "plants" that were put there specifically to put a bad name on the rest of the protestors.
Captain Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 05:01 PM   #8
Particle Man
Custom User Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Morgan View Post
I think he's claiming these people were "plants" that were put there specifically to put a bad name on the rest of the protestors.
Ah. Gotcha.

Viva La RevolutÃ*ón!

Handle every stressful situation like a DOG: If you can't eat it or hump it, pi$$ on it & walk away.
Old 03-28-2011, 06:43 AM   #9
Papa_Complex
Nomadic Tribesman

Moto: '09 ER-6n

Quote:

They were claiming the same thing about the G20, in Toronto. It was crap. They've nailed a bunch of people for it.

Bloody Poll Tax riots in the making, all over again. What do they expect, when their government is on the brink of bankruptcy? Raise taxes, and they scream. Cut services, and they riot. The government just can't win, whether or not they're responsible for the current British financial crisis.

http://www.morallyambiguous.net/
Papa_Complex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 10:45 AM   #10
Kaneman
AMA Supersport

Moto: 2000 Honda CBR1100XX Blackbird

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa_Complex View Post
They were claiming the same thing about the G20, in Toronto. It was crap. They've nailed a bunch of people for it.

Bloody Poll Tax riots in the making, all over again. What do they expect, when their government is on the brink of bankruptcy? Raise taxes, and they scream. Cut services, and they riot. The government just can't win, whether or not they're responsible for the current British financial crisis.
Maybe they expect their Government to quit shitting their money down the toilet on bullshit wars and police state enforcement and to actually use it for the public good....presumably by NOT cutting said services.

Just a guess.
1982 Honda XR80 - blown motor, 1993 Kawasaki ZX6D - sold, 2001 Suzuki Bandit 1200S - sold, 1984 Honda Magna - sold, 2001 Kawasaki ZRX1200R - blown motor, 2007 Suzuki DL1000 V-Strom - totalled, 2003 Yamaha FZ1 - sold, 1994 Honda Magna - sold, 2001 Honda CBR600F4i - sold, 1998 Suzuki DR350 - stolen, 1989 Honda Super Magna - sold, 2007 Yamaha Stratoliner, 2000 Honda CBR 1100XX Blackbird
Kaneman is offline   Reply With Quote