Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 03-01-2011, 08:03 AM   #1
Mr Lefty
TWFix Legend

Moto: 01 BMW F650GS Dakar
Default Memberships

First, I'm starting this here just so everyone sees it.

We all know that running this forum isn't free, server space, domain names, and time all come currently out of Trip's pocket...

I'm wondering if anyone else would be interested in donating to the forum for a "membership". The money would help keep the forum going, possibly add rewards for our contests, and help Trip from having to come out of pocket for a lot of what goes on.

it's up to Trip if there would be any "benefits" and I'll not gonna put words in his mouth, but my suggestions would be larger PM boxes, larger Avatars, and a "donating douchebag" tag.

what do ya'll think?
Mr Lefty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 08:13 AM   #2
Apoc
For Science. You Monster.

Moto: '08 HD FLSTSB

Im gonna be honest, there would have to be some spectacular benefits to get people involved.. People bitched about the 9.99/yr that IGN charged for insider, and its forums are effectively dead because of it. And that gives shit tons of extra content (guides, forums, discounts on games at gamestop/ebgames). People in general dont want to pay to have a bigger avatar and inbox.

Would I donate a few bucks? Sure. I like this place and a lot of the people here. But in truth, its just not a good business model for a web forum. He'd be better off selling TWF gear instead of selling forum access. I know he does that now, but its not effective because nothing is immediately available (people have to wait for print runs). Then at the same time, having that stuff on hand would cost him money as well, so its a catch 22.

But the short answer is, yes, I would help out. But its not a business model that ever works for web forums.

And dont let your babies grow up to be cowboys, either.
Apoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 08:15 AM   #3
derf
token jewboy

Moto: CBR 900, KLR ugly ass duckling, Gas Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apoc View Post

But the short answer is, yes, I would help out. But its not a business model that ever works for web forums.
I sent you a PM ebbs, basically saying this in different words. I would favor a wikipedia style donation bar setting a goal and the progress toward that goal.
Old 03-01-2011, 08:22 AM   #4
Mr Lefty
TWFix Legend

Moto: 01 BMW F650GS Dakar

Quote:
Im gonna be honest, there would have to be some spectacular benefits to get people involved.. People bitched about the 9.99/yr that IGN charged for insider, and its forums are effectively dead because of it. And that gives shit tons of extra content (guides, forums, discounts on games at gamestop/ebgames). People in general dont want to pay to have a bigger avatar and inbox.

Would I donate a few bucks? Sure. I like this place and a lot of the people here. But in truth, its just not a good business model for a web forum. He'd be better off selling TWF gear instead of selling forum access. I know he does that now, but its not effective because nothing is immediately available (people have to wait for print runs). Then at the same time, having that stuff on hand would cost him money as well, so its a catch 22.

Quote:
Originally Posted by derf View Post
I sent you a PM ebbs, basically saying this in different words. I would favor a wikipedia style donation bar setting a goal and the progress toward that goal.
I hear ya... I guess my experience and thought process is a little different. for me even $25 a year is nothing... I waste that on far more trivial things

and the point of having set donations like memberships would give Trip a set "income amount" for as long as the "membership" lasts.

I just think if you put a header, you'd just have the same 5-8 people donating supporting the whole forum, and it'd only be when they thought about it and had spare cash.
Mr Lefty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 08:24 AM   #5
Trip
Hold mah beer!

Moto: 08 R1200GS

Quote:

I am not going to sell forum access. I am not setting up a special forum for paid members. Access will remain the same. I wouldn't mind boosting PM box quotas and avatar memory size or other little crap like that, but I am not going to make a pay site.

What I would use the money for is prizes for contest winners/rally stuff/other non running the site costs. I am fine with paying for what the site costs, but I don't want to pay for any of the rest of the stuff. So that would be what I would use the cash for...
Trip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 08:35 AM   #6
Apoc
For Science. You Monster.

Moto: '08 HD FLSTSB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip View Post
I am not going to sell forum access. I am not setting up a special forum for paid members. Access will remain the same. I wouldn't mind boosting PM box quotas and avatar memory size or other little crap like that, but I am not going to make a pay site.

What I would use the money for is prizes for contest winners/rally stuff/other non running the site costs. I am fine with paying for what the site costs, but I don't want to pay for any of the rest of the stuff. So that would be what I would use the cash for...

And again, I have no problem with a donations setup for the site. I will donate. Im just saying that in general, it doesnt work out very well.

The one thing working out for you though, is that this is a MC forum, and members usually own motorcycles, and have a bit more disposable income than most, as MC's are considered quite a luxury. They might be a bit more generous, but I dont think it worked out that well for Rezin over at CF.

And dont let your babies grow up to be cowboys, either.
Apoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 08:40 AM   #7
wildchild
cruiser

Moto: '09 HD superglide, 16 Yamaha FZ 09

ok I'll be the first to say thanks to Trip for a free site and nah I'm not real interested in paying a membership.

if you want to though there is a great site that many of us came from where you can pay a membership and get a cute little tag that says you're special for buying in.
wildchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 08:54 AM   #8
Trip
Hold mah beer!

Moto: 08 R1200GS

Quote:
And again, I have no problem with a donations setup for the site. I will donate. Im just saying that in general, it doesnt work out very well.

The one thing working out for you though, is that this is a MC forum, and members usually own motorcycles, and have a bit more disposable income than most, as MC's are considered quite a luxury. They might be a bit more generous, but I dont think it worked out that well for Rezin over at CF.
This is why I have never done it. Some members have asked about doing it and I am fine with trying it to see if we can get funds to have contests and such. I tried to sell TWFix stickers to fund some stuff, so at least you got something for donating, that didn't even work well. So I just moved on and stopped doing contests that let you win stuff unless it was done by a sponsor.
Trip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 09:09 AM   #9
Lamnidae
CMDLINE

Moto: 2008 Black/Grey Hayabusa

.... The last time I "subscribed" to a forum and donated to it, it got sold........... then it went down like the Hindenburg.
Lamnidae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 09:13 AM   #10
tommymac
Moto GP Star

Is this realy to finance trips electric bill fo rall the christmas lights

I will donate if I can kick fred in the nuts
tommymac is offline   Reply With Quote