Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 12-10-2010, 10:18 AM   #1
TommyHotWheel
Imported from Detroit

Moto: 2001 Suzuki TL1000R
Default Morality question...

Ok, this is something I am struggling with. I have a son, 8, high functioning Autistic. He lives with my ex, she has been told for 5 years to put him in a "public" school, by the judge...no go, she lies every time. I have just found out that if he was in a program, basic stuff that would be done coinciding with normal school classes, he would have a better than average chance of leading a very normal and productive life. My ex refuses, ignores advice and home schools(without the school district or states sponsorship) and recieves SSI for him. My question, would the normal person consider this neglect? As it stands, in the last few years he is actually regressing without ASD programs or therapies. She pretty much takes him to her Mom's or sister's houses and lets him play video games all day and they sometimes, when he asks, read a book. Thanks for the read and thoughts.

Cry Havok! And let slip the hogs of war!
TommyHotWheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 10:22 AM   #2
shmike
Follower

What are you asking?

I'm not sure that your "normal" person would see this as neglect but I can see how you as the parent trying to better your son's life would.

Unfortunately, to a "normal" person I think neglect would only be if he were not properly fed, clothed, cared for, etc...

Are you able to get custody or control over your son's educational decisions? Is that what you are leaning toward in your post?
Old 12-10-2010, 10:24 AM   #3
OneSickPsycho
Ride Like an Asshole

Moto: nothing...

I don't have kids and I don't have an ex, so my opinion may not be as valid as someone elses.... however, do what's best for your kid. Every time no matter what... that's my plan.
OneSickPsycho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 10:27 AM   #4
ontwo
Designated Drinker

Moto: 2009 ZX6R

Damn dude. I would be furious. I wouldn't call it "neglect". It sounds like either your ex is 1. A religious nut or 2. Just plain lazy. She is not addressing your child's special needs. Does she just not care? I can't see a judge leaving your child with her under these circumstances. Just remember, document, document, document
Old 12-10-2010, 10:28 AM   #5
pauldun170
Serious Business

Moto: 1993 ZX-11 2008 CBR1000rr

Let me get this right...

She is keeping him out of school and collecting welfare.

I'm not going to go into details on what the benefits would be using trained professionals and early intervention and how they have a huge impact...

I'd act on this asap.
(Yes In my opinion - Neglecting the special needs of your autistic son by denying him access to trained professionals and early intervention programs can be considered "neglect" and the case can be made in court)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
feed your dogs root beer it will make them grow large and then you can ride them and pet the motorcycle while drinking root beer

Last edited by pauldun170; 12-10-2010 at 10:32 AM..
pauldun170 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 10:40 AM   #6
Rangerscott
Viff6N Mutated Warrior

Moto: '01 Honda VFR 800 & '09 ER-6N

Ive been around home school kids that are only around family. Its sad to see them with no interacting skills. Say what u want able public schooling but being around other human beings help mold ou into who youll be later in life.

I say mental neglect which is neglect. Get that judge off his ass and show him.
Rangerscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 10:41 AM   #7
TommyHotWheel
Imported from Detroit

Moto: 2001 Suzuki TL1000R

Thats exactly it Paul...I was looking to see if by not giving my special needs child the care that can better his life, is she guilty of neglect? I have a hard time keeping it short when it comes to my kids. And as for documents, I have almost a full reem of papers, test and recommendations that she is ignoring and I am having her investigated for fraud against the State of Michigan for recieving public support and not following the guidelines for care and monetary asssitance. Now I have to get the judge to give me his thoughts and hopefully make everything right...and then deal with my daughter.

Cry Havok! And let slip the hogs of war!
TommyHotWheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 10:48 AM   #8
pauldun170
Serious Business

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyHotWheel View Post
Thats exactly it Paul...I was looking to see if by not giving my special needs child the care that can better his life, is she guilty of neglect? I have a hard time keeping it short when it comes to my kids. And as for documents, I have almost a full reem of papers, test and recommendations that she is ignoring and I am having her investigated for fraud against the State of Michigan for recieving public support and not following the guidelines for care and monetary asssitance. Now I have to get the judge to give me his thoughts and hopefully make everything right...and then deal with my daughter.
Based on what you have said in this thread, and from what I have seen of Virginia state law you cant say that she is "neglecting" him in the legal sense (as per state code).

However
Quote:
Do my parents have responsibilities for my education?

Yes. First, they must ensure you are enrolled in school. Anyone between the ages of five and 17 is required to attend school. Parents may choose to send their children to a public, private, denominational, or parochial school. If certain requirements are met, parents may also teach their children at home (Code of Virginia §§ 22.1-254 and 22.1-254.1).

Additionally, Virginia law states that parents of students enrolled in a public school have responsibilities to “assist the school in enforcing the standards of student conduct and compulsory school attendance” (Code of Virginia § 22.1-279.3).

Quote:
feed your dogs root beer it will make them grow large and then you can ride them and pet the motorcycle while drinking root beer
Old 12-10-2010, 10:52 AM   #9
pauldun170
Serious Business

Code of Virginia § 63.2-1509

Quote:
Old 12-10-2010, 10:53 AM   #10
pauldun170
Serious Business

I think you might be able to force the issue...but I'm not familiar with Virgina.

Without a proper assessment of your son, familiarity with Virginia law or school system I cant really tell you much of anything other than opinion.

Quote:

Last edited by pauldun170; 12-10-2010 at 10:57 AM..