EpyonXero
AMA Supersport

Moto: 2003 VFR800f6
Default Tax Package Will Aid Nearly All, Especially Highest Earners

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/12/08/us...er=rss&emc=rss

Quote:
Tax Package Will Aid Nearly All, Especially Highest Earners
By DAVID KOCIENIEWSKI
The deal to extend the Bush-era tax cuts for two years includes a bevy of additional credits and deductions that will reduce the burden on nearly all households.

But the tax benefits will flow most heavily to the highest earners, just as the original cuts did when they were passed in 2001 and 2003. At least a quarter of the tax savings will go to the wealthiest 1 percent of the population.

The tentative deal includes a two-year patch for the alternative minimum tax, a reduction in the payroll tax and a plan to reinstate the estate tax with lower rates and higher exemptions than in 2009 — all of which will offer far more savings for high earners than those in the low- or middle-income bracket.

The wealthiest Americans will also reap tax savings from the proposal’s plan to keep the cap on dividend and capital gains taxes at 15 percent, well below the highest rates on ordinary income.

And negotiators have agreed that the estimated $900 billion cost of the cuts will simply be added to the deficit — not covered by reductions in spending or increases in other taxes. That is good news for hedge fund managers and private equity investors, who appear to have withstood an effort to get them to pay more by eliminating a quirk in the tax code that allows most of their income to be taxed at just 15 percent.

In fact, the only groups likely to face a tax increase are those near the bottom of the income scale — individuals who make less than $20,000 and families with earnings below $40,000.

“It’s going to look like the rich are getting richer again,” said Anne Mathias, an analyst for MF Global Inc.

In the agreement, which breaks a campaign pledge to eliminate some tax breaks for the top 2 percent of American earners, President Obama won a few concessions from Republicans, including a 13-month extension in government benefits for the long-term unemployed. After several extensions, the maximum has been 99 weeks.

The administration also succeeded in extending several of the tax credits in last year’s stimulus plan to aid low- and moderate-income Americans: the earned-income tax credit, the child credit, the child and dependent-care credit and the tuition deduction.

As a result, families with an income near the median of $55,000 would owe about $2,700 less in taxes than if the Bush-era cuts had been allowed to expire.

A two-income couple earning $146,000 would owe about $7,000 less than if the tax cuts were allowed to expire, and about $3,400 less than they did in 2009.

The proposal does not include an extension of Mr. Obama’s signature tax cut, the Making Work Pay credit, which provided a credit of up to $400 for individuals and $800 for families of low and moderate income. Instead, the plan creates a one-year reduction in Social Security payroll taxes, which are generally levied on the first $106,800 of income. For an individual earning $110,000, that provision would reduce payroll taxes by $2,136.

Although the $120 billion payroll tax reduction offers nearly twice the tax savings of the credit it replaces, it will nonetheless lead to higher tax bills for individuals with incomes below $20,000 and families that make less than $40,000. That is because their payroll tax savings are less than the $400 or $800 they will lose from the Making Work Pay credit.

“It will come to a few dollars a week,” said Roberton Williams, an analyst at the nonpartisan Tax Policy Center, “but it is an increase.”

To the wealthiest Americans, however, an assortment of breaks is available.

The plan includes a two-year “patch” for the alternative minimum tax, which is now paid by about 4 million taxpayers with income in the mid- to high six figures. Without the patch, more than 20 million additional taxpayers would have been liable for that tax.

The estate tax — which was allowed to lapse this year and was scheduled to resume at a rate of 55 percent on most assets above $1 million — will be reinstated under less onerous terms. Estates over $5 million will be subject to a 35 percent tax.

The proposal will also maintain the current rates on dividends and capital gains, averting scheduled increases to ordinary income and 20 percent, respectively.

The marginal tax rate on high incomes will also remain unchanged. The top brackets had been scheduled to increase to 36 percent and 39.6 percent, from 33 percent and 35 percent.

Under Mr. Obama’s failed proposal, which would have raised the rates on income over $250,000 for families and $200,000 for individuals, the taxpayers at the top 1 percent of the income scale — those with incomes above $564,000 — would have received an average tax break of $28,000. Under the agreement reached with Republicans, the top 1 percent will receive breaks of about $70,000.
Old 12-09-2010, 12:48 PM   #2
shmike
Follower

Shitty article, full of crybaby bullshit.

I'm not going to waste the time to refute his points.

I'm happy with the break on SS I'll get this year.
Old 12-09-2010, 12:59 PM   #3
Dave
Chaotic Neutral

Moto: GV1200 Madura, Hawk gt

Quote:
Originally Posted by shmike View Post
Shitty article, full of crybaby bullshit.

I'm not going to waste the time to refute his points.

I'm happy with the break on SS I'll get this year.
I've never felt I should be forced to pay into SS. Esp since it likely won't exist when I come of age
Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 05:42 PM   #4
goof2
AMA Supersport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
I've never felt I should be forced to pay into SS. Esp since it likely won't exist when I come of age
Without major changes it won't, but at this point you aren't paying in for yourself anyway. You, I, and everyone else who is paying has it going right out the back door to pay for the current crop of retirees. If they allowed us to opt out of the system those currently receiving payments would be opted out against their will.
goof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 05:10 PM   #5
Dave
Chaotic Neutral

Moto: GV1200 Madura, Hawk gt

Quote:
Originally Posted by goof2 View Post
Without major changes it won't, but at this point you aren't paying in for yourself anyway. You, I, and everyone else who is paying has it going right out the back door to pay for the current crop of retirees. If they allowed us to opt out of the system those currently receiving payments would be opted out against their will.
I'm depressingly aware of this, trust me. Even more reason I shouldn't have to pay into the shit. Hell I can really depress myself if I think about what all the money they've (let's be honest) stolen from each check could have done in a good IRA. Prolly have close to a million put away by now

Last edited by Dave; 12-10-2010 at 05:13 PM..
Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 06:02 PM   #6
goof2
AMA Supersport

Quote:
I'm depressingly aware of this, trust me. Even more reason I shouldn't have to pay into the shit. Hell I can really depress myself if I think about what all the money they've (let's be honest) stolen from each check could have done in a good IRA. Prolly have close to a million put away by now
I hadn't thought of it like that but it is unfortunately true, one of the impediments in the way of providing a good retirement for oneself is the government's demand that they provide everyone with a crappy retirement.
goof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 07:19 PM   #7
Homeslice
Elitist

Moto: Gix 750

Not to mention that the IRA's tax benefits might be cut back or eliminated one day
Homeslice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 09:19 PM   #8
tallywacker
Virtual Machine

Moto: 2010 Ducati Hypermotard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeslice View Post
Not to mention that the IRA's tax benefits might be cut back or eliminated one day
I have a feeling that when I get to that age, a lot won't exist.
Old 12-10-2010, 11:26 PM   #9
101lifts2
WSB Champion

Moto: 2009 Kawi ZX6R

Quote:
IF you come of age. U R a crazy ass mofo.

Ron Paul - 2012

Mark of Excellence
GM
101lifts2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 12:33 AM   #10
Captain Morgan
Let's do another U-turn

Moto: 2009 V-Strom

I love all of the talk about SS going bankrupt if we don't fix the system, then the gov't chooses to lower the amount of money going into SS, even if it is only for 1 year. Fucking ridiculous. That's like me bitching that my bank account is decreasing in value, then choosing to slow down the amount of money going into my account. What the fuck is wrong with this government? Doesn't anyone think?
Captain Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote