Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 12-07-2010, 01:29 PM   #1
Homeslice
Elitist

Moto: Gix 750
Default AT&T keeps getting owned...

AT&T is the lowest-scoring cell-phone carrier in the U.S., according to a satisfaction survey of 58,000 ConsumerReports.org readers. Of all the carriers rated, AT&T was the only one to drop significantly in overall satisfaction.

Over half of the survey respondents who used AT&T as a carrier owned some version of the iPhone, the Apple smart phone that is exclusive to AT&T, at least for now. Consumer Reports data, reflecting all versions of the phone, found that iPhone owners were much less satisfied with their carrier and rated data service (Web and e-mail) lower than owners of smart phones on other carriers that, like the iPhone, have a host of apps to encourage heavy data use.

"Our survey suggests that an iPhone from Verizon Wireless, which is rumored, could indeed be good news for iPhone fans," said Paul Reynolds, Electronics Editor for Consumer Reports.

Also big news this year: U.S. Cellular—which serves 26 states, mostly in the South and Midwest—beat out Verizon Wireless as the top-rated provider for contract service. Also, Sprint has pulled even in overall satisfaction with Verizon, which has been the clear top provider in our Ratings in most years since 2003. Sprint even scored better than Verizon in some aspects of customer service, in a remarkable turnaround.

The survey is part of our annual comprehensive cell-phone package, which hits newsstands tomorrow (Dec. 7) as part of the January issue of Consumer Reports. It will also post online at CRO tomorrow morning. Subscribers will be able to get full Ratings and all the details on the story, including city-by-city Ratings for 23 metro areas.

Consumer Reports has no relationship with any advertisers on Yahoo!

Copyrighted 2010, Consumers Union of U.S., Inc. All Rights Reserved.
Homeslice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 03:40 PM   #2
marko138
DefenderOfTheBuelliverse

Moto: Buell XB12R

My AT&T contract expired almost 2 weeks ago. My new Spring EVO should be here on Thursday then it's SAY GOODNIGHT TO THE BADGUY!

Quote:
Grandma said she doesn't want you here when she gets back because you've been ruining everybody's lives and eating all our steak.
marko138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 03:55 PM   #3
G-Rex
Where to next?

Moto: TL1000R, Hayabusa, R1150RT

I must be the exception to the rule.

I have had ATT/Cingular/SWB in whatever form they were since 1999. Having traveled ALL over this country and Canada, I have not experienced the call drops or poor service that the masses complain about.

There has been only TWO places in my travels I recall not having ANY cell service. Those are northern Arizona where there is literally nothing other than the Grand Canyon, and west-central British Columbia, where there is equally little.

Where I have had service, it has been good service and I haven't had any problems as described in that article related to web or email, much less phone calls.
Old 12-07-2010, 05:23 PM   #4
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Rex View Post
I must be the exception to the rule.

I have had ATT/Cingular/SWB in whatever form they were since 1999. Having traveled ALL over this country and Canada, I have not experienced the call drops or poor service that the masses complain about.

There has been only TWO places in my travels I recall not having ANY cell service. Those are northern Arizona where there is literally nothing other than the Grand Canyon, and west-central British Columbia, where there is equally little.

Where I have had service, it has been good service and I haven't had any problems as described in that article related to web or email, much less phone calls.

I don't know what you're talking about but when I had AT&T the coverage sucked! Oh and ADT uses AT&T for alarms in homes without wired phone service. We couldn't get service around here half the time and even when we did, it would mysteriously go out from time to time. BTW we used higher wattage switching boxes and even exterior antennas without any luck.

The coverage on US Cellular is head and shoulders above anyone else in this area and their customer service is honestly top notch! I recommend them without hesitation.
Amber Lamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 05:33 PM   #5
smileyman
White Trash Hero

Moto: Buell 1125R Porco Rosso Edition

I'm with G-Rex . AT&T has never given me a single problem. Maybe that comes from them buying out my old provider, Alltel. They had some good infrastructure here in Arkansas and I dont feel anything dropped off after AT&T took charge of them

Arkriders.com
To be the best you must first be willing to risk the worst!
smileyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 05:42 PM   #6
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by smileyman View Post
I'm with G-Rex . AT&T has never given me a single problem. Maybe that comes from them buying out my old provider, Alltel. They had some good infrastructure here in Arkansas and I dont feel anything dropped off after AT&T took charge of them
Alltel was decent when I had them... Verizon bought them out here though...
Old 12-07-2010, 06:33 PM   #7
goof2
AMA Supersport

I'm with G-Rex as well. I've driven up and down most of the east coast without any problems with AT&T. In fact the biggest annoyance I had with them was on Cape Cod where AT&T was the only carrier that worked so everyone wanted to use my phone. I've also never had a problem with them in any of the cities I have been in. I was a year out of contract with them when I decided to get an iPhone. I didn't regret it then and I don't regret it now.
goof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 06:48 PM   #8
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by goof2 View Post
I'm with G-Rex as well. I've driven up and down most of the east coast without any problems with AT&T. In fact the biggest annoyance I had with them was on Cape Cod where AT&T was the only carrier that worked so everyone wanted to use my phone. I've also never had a problem with them in any of the cities I have been in. I was a year out of contract with them when I decided to get an iPhone. I didn't regret it then and I don't regret it now.
Hmmm...you guys must not talk much... Try searching "I hate AT&T"

http://www.epinions.com/pr-Online_St...-AT_T_Wireless
Old 12-07-2010, 06:56 PM   #9
Homeslice
Elitist

Moto: Gix 750

My problems with them include messages that appear without the phone ever ringing, and having to reboot the phone after I get off a plane in order to get the correct time zone.
Homeslice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 09:26 PM   #10
Particle Man
Custom User Title

Moto: 2003 SV650S

I have had them since they were Cellular One up here. Overall the service has been pretty good
Particle Man is offline   Reply With Quote