Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 08-10-2010, 07:11 AM   #1
VatorMan
Wrap Yo Ass in Fiberglass

Moto: Feet
Default Motorcycle Accident at VIR-One killed

Quote:
HALIFAX COUNTY, Va. —
A man was killed Saturday at the Virginia International Raceway in Halifax County.

VIR is east of Danville on Route 58. Robert Gette died at the track following a crash during a motorcycle race.

Gette, 38, was trying to avoid a crash in front of him. He lost control of his bike and overturned. As he was getting up, another racer hit him. The accident happened around 1:30 p.m.

A 12-year-old was driving the motorycle that hit Gette. He has been taken to Duke. State Police say his injuries are serious.

Motorcycles in these type of races reach speeds of 60 to 80 mph.

Gette was from Charlotte, NC.

I'm sad for the victim. However, on another forum there is an argument about having a 12 YO on the track with adults. I take the position that it is skill level and confidence. What say you ?

Here is the track layout-it happened at turn 14-right before Oak Tree.

VatorMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 07:43 AM   #2
derf
token jewboy

Moto: CBR 900, KLR ugly ass duckling, Gas Man

First off Holy Fuck!

What org did this happen with?

A 12 year old is ok IF he is mature enough to responsibly handle the bike, most that ride the track are, at least while they are on track. I took issue with a small kid earlier this year that was great on track, rode like a champ, but off track he was rolling around the paddock with his dirt bike almost hitting people and cars. I woulda kicked him off if I was the guys running the track just for hooning in the paddock.
Old 08-10-2010, 07:52 AM   #3
Papa_Complex
Nomadic Tribesman

Moto: '09 ER-6n

Some of the most talented riders I've known, have been 16 or younger. Having gotten to know PJ Jacobsen, when he started roadracing at age 13, it's obvious to me that talent and age aren't synonymous.

I've only seen sketchy reports, but it sounds like anyone could have hit Gette in that situation. It just happened to be a 12 year old who did. The kid wasn't the cause of the initial incident that caused the situation.

I've been at the track for 2 deaths and this, unfortunately, falls under the heading of "racing incident."

The instructor at Cornerspeed Rider Schools seems to agre with you: http://www.wset.com/Global/story.asp?S=12951039

http://www.morallyambiguous.net/
Papa_Complex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 07:59 AM   #4
derf
token jewboy

Moto: CBR 900, KLR ugly ass duckling, Gas Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa_Complex View Post

The instructor at Cornerspeed Rider Schools seems to agre with you: http://www.wset.com/Global/story.asp?S=12951039

The rules for commenting on that website say alot
Quote:
Terms of Use: We welcome your participation in our community. Please keep your comments civil and on point. You must be at least 13 years of age to post comments. By submitting a comment, you agree to these Terms of Service
Old 08-10-2010, 08:04 AM   #5
Papa_Complex
Nomadic Tribesman

..... and...?

Old 08-10-2010, 08:22 AM   #6
TYEster
With MORE TYEstosterone

Moto: '12 KX450F / 08 YZ250F #512 / 07 KX65 #1

I know a 13yo who's on his way to the Redbull Rookie Cup.

While off the track his maturity level is that of where you'd expect it, when comes down to the brass tax of riding, being around bikes/vehicles and on the track, he's more responsible/skilled/confident than some of the OLDEST people I know.

I also don't see why there's any debate about a kid being out there either. From the sounds of things if a 12yo and an adult are racing at a speed nearing 60-80, it doesn't sound like it's the supersport/bike/heavy twin/unlimited/etc class. Thus leaving me to believe it's a smaller class and the kid has every right to be out there. Kids have to start somewhere?
TYEster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 08:24 AM   #7
Papa_Complex
Nomadic Tribesman

Sounds like Middleweight Twins racing. The guy who died was on a SV650.

Old 08-10-2010, 08:27 AM   #8
TYEster
With MORE TYEstosterone

Moto: '12 KX450F / 08 YZ250F #512 / 07 KX65 #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa_Complex View Post
Sounds like Middleweight Twins racing. The guy who died was on a SV650.
Ultimately when anyone steps onto a track to ride, it's a closed course environment, which means no laws, except for the track rules, to break. The liability is great, and if you go out and ride, you accept that.

Kid or not, it could have just as well been a grown man or woman that hit him having the same result. Sucks to be the kid though, I hope it doesn't stop them from riding.
TYEster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 08:42 AM   #9
Particle Man
Custom User Title

Moto: 2003 SV650S

There are several details that have been left out:

- How much time did the 12 year old have to react?
- Did the kid try to avoid the downed rider he eventually hit?
- Did he make any errors that were directly the result of age vs rider experience?
- Did the down rider that got hit look around before trying to get up? Did he step into the path of the 12 year old?

There are several others but these are the ones I could think of right off the top of my head and, incidentally, these are the same questions I'd ask if the 12 year old was an "adult" rider anyhow

Handle every stressful situation like a DOG: If you can't eat it or hump it, pi$$ on it & walk away.
Particle Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 09:11 AM   #10
OneSickPsycho
Ride Like an Asshole

Moto: nothing...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Particle Man View Post
There are several details that have been left out:

- How much time did the 12 year old have to react?
- Did the kid try to avoid the downed rider he eventually hit?
- Did he make any errors that were directly the result of age vs rider experience?
- Did the down rider that got hit look around before trying to get up? Did he step into the path of the 12 year old?

There are several others but these are the ones I could think of right off the top of my head and, incidentally, these are the same questions I'd ask if the 12 year old was an "adult" rider anyhow
That pretty much sums it up... Unfortunately when people get hurt or die, all logic and reason seems to go out the window for most people.
OneSickPsycho is offline   Reply With Quote